The discovery thread!
Jun 16, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #47,731 of 100,494
Jun 16, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #47,732 of 100,494
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...break-travel-restricted-china-severe-measures

Looks like there's a 2nd wave of Covid in China. Hope everyone recovers and that the authorities get it under control. Though the authorities seem quite worried about this, since it occurred in a crowded market in their capital. Quite ironic that Covid started in China and went to the rest of the world and returned there. Looks like this dingdonging is gonna continue till we get a vaccine or some herd immunity. =(

After the first wave of Covid occurred around December 2019 in China, it did halt a lot of R&D and logistics/manufacturing/transport for CHIFI companies. Do u guys remember there was a period of time early this year when there was radiosilence on Aliexpress and a dearth of CHIFI releases. Our favourite CHIFI companies only started pumping out new CHIFI like preCovid levels in recent weeks, so it would be sad to see everything go back to lockdown again. Though in the big scheme of things, our audio hobby and delays in getting our gear is a very small issue, and I wish they recover soon and have good health! Likewise, wishing everyone on headfi good health and to stay safe from Covid!

Magnetostatic driver most likely , which isn't gimmick

Yes agreed, probably a magnetostatic.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #47,733 of 100,494
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...break-travel-restricted-china-severe-measures

Looks like there's a 2nd wave of Covid in China. Hope everyone recovers and that the authorities get it under control. Though the authorities seem quite worried about this, since it occurred in a crowded market in their capital. Quite ironic that Covid started in China and went to the rest of the world and returned there. Looks like this dingdonging is gonna continue till we get a vaccine or some herd immunity. =(

After the first wave of Covid occurred around December 2019 in China, it did halt a lot of R&D and logistics/manufacturing/transport for CHIFI companies. Do u guys remember there was a period of time early this year when there was radiosilence on Aliexpress and a dearth of CHIFI releases. Our favourite CHIFI companies only started pumping out new CHIFI like preCovid levels in recent weeks, so it would be sad to see everything go back to lockdown again. Though in the big scheme of things, our audio hobby and delays in getting our gear is a very small issue, and I wish they recover soon and have good health! Likewise, wishing everyone on headfi good health and to stay safe from Covid!

Yes agreed, probably a magnetostatic.
It was quite expectable to have a second wave; even the most renown respiratory disease expert (Zhong NanShan) warned to get prepared for a second wave because It was quite impossible to close totally the international trade again. Most of the recent cases have been imported cases from the outside, and it seems that there was a leakage in the fruit market Xinfadi in Beijing.Their idea right now is to track down the footprints of the cases and lockdown specific areas, not locking down the entire city, so the common citizen are only going to retake their pandemic period habits in Beijing (mask, frecuently washing hands, etc). I can only see them extending the foreign entrance ban period and making more rigorous checks in their checkpoints of the city.

I don't think that is going to affect us as audio consumers. Most of the audio stuff that we are getting are made and sent from Shenzhen, which is way way far south to Beijing, and I don't think that the cases in Beijing are going to affect Shenzhen since the government in general is very strict with the measures taken.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #47,734 of 100,494
First sneak-peek of Moondrop's flagship single-DD IEM, ILLUMINATION:

1592321925307.png

Looks like the shell is similar to KXXS with a giant bulge up front like the Sony IER-Z1R. The nozzle looks short though, wonder how that might translate in real-world comfort. I'd also wager the driver to be similar to the one used in SoftEars Turii. Exciting times for single-DD fans with all these new releases.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #47,735 of 100,494
First sneak-peek of Moondrop's flagship single-DD IEM, ILLUMINATION:

1592321925307.png

Looks like the shell is similar to KXXS with a giant bulge up front like the Sony IER-Z1R. The nozzle looks short though, wonder how that might translate in real-world comfort. I'd also wager the driver to be similar to the one used in SoftEars Turii. Exciting times for single-DD fans with all these new releases.

Quite bling!

This really lives up to the name of golden ears. Hope it doesn't cost as much as a bar of gold too haha.

Any idea of specs, graphs or price?

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #47,736 of 100,494
It was quite expectable to have a second wave; even the most renown respiratory disease expert (Zhong NanShan) warned to get prepared for a second wave because It was quite impossible to close totally the international trade again. Most of the recent cases have been imported cases from the outside, and it seems that there was a leakage in the fruit market Xinfadi in Beijing.Their idea right now is to track down the footprints of the cases and lockdown specific areas, not locking down the entire city, so the common citizen are only going to retake their pandemic period habits in Beijing (mask, frecuently washing hands, etc). I can only see them extending the foreign entrance ban period and making more rigorous checks in their checkpoints of the city.

I don't think that is going to affect us as audio consumers. Most of the audio stuff that we are getting are made and sent from Shenzhen, which is way way far south to Beijing, and I don't think that the cases in Beijing are going to affect Shenzhen since the government in general is very strict with the measures taken.
The main hope is that it’s not nearly as dangerous and lethal as the first round.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #47,737 of 100,494
Quite bling!

This really lives up to the name of golden ears. Hope it doesn't cost as much as a bar of gold too haha.

I wonder if it will be their pure beryllium driver, since that’s very popular right now (for good reason).

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #47,738 of 100,494
Quite bling!

Well....according to the Moondrop discord channel, they think the price will be near or higher than 800 usd. :joy:

I can hear some hopes shattered :joy:

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #47,739 of 100,494
Quite bling!

I'm afraid it will likely cost near a grand. High chance that they're using the same driver as the SoftEars Turii. The front driver chamber and the acoustic cavity structure has some similarities with this particular render, though the pattern on the back/shape seems different. They've been working on it for a while so I expect it to be something good. Let's see how that pans out.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #47,740 of 100,494
1592331809132.png

VS3 plus GC4? Can't hurt to try and threw on the ole M earfits. Yep a full price $55 earphone that I paid $16 plus a $190 cable. :rolling_eyes: Not that you would buy it for them but if you have it use it. Indeed does salvage the VS3 which I would not deem competetive with my better stuff. Fun and fine with the right tips and some EQ for a big and sweet rich W sound. Just really would not grab them having the choice. GC4 certainly shows the Vsonic 11mm CCAW drivers are solid just not optimized. The signature is good but the ability is blah so the GC4 comes in too smooth the response and bring all the cleanliness, tightness, and resolution and extension to make it a more representative performer. Just like the old window analogy it went from looking through a dirty window to opening that window and sticking your head out. It would be a pretty good deal now at $100 more. Really good at the $16 but still solid at $100 over the full price. Something that I can give some ear time to.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #47,742 of 100,494
Not really new for Fiio to use a 2-pin connector, check out the FH1s and JadeAudio EA3.

Yep agreed.

This FD1 shell looks identical to those 2 sets! I suspect they may have reused the shells even.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #47,743 of 100,494
Not really new for Fiio to use a 2-pin connector, check out the FH1s and JadeAudio EA3.
I agree and I was merely pointing out that fiio seems finally to have transitioned from mmcx to 2 pin

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #47,744 of 100,494
I agree and I was merely pointing out that fiio seems finally to have transitioned from mmcx to 2 pin

Not convinced since FA9 is MMCX. Unless they are reading this and want to chime in on their intent. :)

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #47,745 of 100,494
Not convinced since FA9 is MMCX. Unless they are reading this and want to chime in on their intent. :)
That's exactly what i was trying to do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back