The discovery thread!
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #47,746 of 100,493
I'd greatly appreciate anything Fiio put out that featured a .78 2-pin. I tend to shy away from anything mmcx. From all I have read on multiple forums, cable and socket failures on iems are common on mmcx connectors.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #47,747 of 100,493
I'd greatly appreciate anything Fiio put out that featured a .78 2-pin. I tend to shy away from anything mmcx. From all I have read on multiple forums, cable and socket failures on iems are common on mmcx connectors.

I generally prefer 2 pin to MMCX too for longevity purposes. But I guess if u leave the cable on the MMCX and don't frequently disconnect it off, it should be ok.

2 pin connectors have their own issues though, some come in 0.75 and 0.78 size variants, some come in para A/B/C, some have QDC/recessed housings. Some come in angled and straight connectors. Quite a pain to get aftermarket cables sometimes as such due to the permutations.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #47,748 of 100,493

Any guesses about its sound signature?

Not really a "discovery," but I've been super impressed with the HA-FDX1. Outstanding value in my opinion. Super clean, detailed sound with excellent extension & dynamics. To me they have as good a sound quality as IEMs I've heard that cost twice as much. :ksc75smile:

Did you mean the fh7 when you wrote 'cost twice as much'?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #47,749 of 100,493
I generally prefer 2 pin to MMCX too for longevity purposes. But I guess if u leave the cable on the MMCX and don't frequently disconnect it off, it should be ok.

2 pin connectors have their own issues though, some come in 0.75 and 0.78 size variants, some come in para A/B/C, some have QDC/recessed housings. Some come in angled and straight connectors. Quite a pain to get aftermarket cables sometimes as such due to the permutations.
Yeah, totally agree. But; at least in my experience, 2-pin variants are becoming more accessible in many formats, than mmcx. Mmcx seems just like such an old school connection method. The input mmcx connectors on most iems also seem to take up alot of space on the shell, which makes it hard to keep the shell size small enough to make for a comfortable fit for many users.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #47,750 of 100,493
I'm on the opposite side, everything I have that has a connector is MMCX. The smaller housings I've seen are usually MMCX (ety, westone, etc) but there are plenty 2 pin as well.

I would look for MMCX cables with connectors that are a 'split' style where possible. This gives them better fit/purchase than the original non split style.

-528788182-1031823256.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #47,751 of 100,493
Any guesses about its sound signature?

Not sure man, no graphs so far on all the store pages, no reviews so far. The beryllium tech sure is interesting, it seems a lot of budget DDs are flying down that route lately, though whether there's some element of marketing gimick involved at the budget level remains to be seen. Also the near $100 region for DDs is packed with competition, eg Tin T4, KBEAR Diamond, Moondrop Starfield, some TFZs, older stuff like Toneking Ninetails and others.

I'll try asking some Aliexpress sellers if they have a graph and share here if they do give us one.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #47,754 of 100,493

You know what it is. Owning my share of mmcx and 2 pin earphones. It is how folks are taking out thier cables. I seen even 2 pin folks break off pins or shove a 2 pin prong into a phone so hard it dislodges the insides. While 2 pins are less likely to fail. With mmcx it is folks that yank the mmcx connector instead of using a wedge method.

Your general public will have no idea that your not supposed to yank out the connector. If you yank out a 2 pin connector in the same manor it will cause the same problems. I dont have problems with either or cuz I am careful about taking out a connector be it 2 pin or mmcx.

Having a lot of cables in my collection I like to try a bunch of new cables I get for reviews and such and I have to say I don't if ever have any issues with mmcx. Again that is because I use my nails to pinch in between the connector and the housing. Works every time and safely. I purposefully grow out my forefinger and thumb nails a bit just to take out mmcx cables. Works great with no tools needed.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #47,755 of 100,493
You know what it is. Owning my share of mmcx and 2 pin earphones. It is how folks are taking out thier cables. I seen even 2 pin folks break off pins or shove a 2 pin prong into a phone so hard it dislodges the insides. While 2 pins are less likely to fail. With mmcx it is folks that yank the mmcx connector instead of using a wedge method.

Your general public will have no idea that your not supposed to yank out the connector. If you yank out a 2 pin connector in the same manor it will cause the same problems. I dont have problems with either or cuz I am careful about taking out a connector be it 2 pin or mmcx.

Having a lot of cables in my collection I like to try a bunch of new cables I get for reviews and such and I have to say I don't if ever have any issues with mmcx. Again that is because I use my nails to pinch in between the connector and the housing. Works every time and safely. I purposefully grow out my forefinger and thumb nails a bit just to take out mmcx cables. Works great with no tools needed.

Good tips! Unfortunately I can't keep long nails due to needing to do lots of heavy work at home and in the office.

Any of you guys tried something like this MMCX assist remover thing? Seems it is being sold by Final Audio:

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #47,756 of 100,493
It

It pays to be uber careful with 2-pin...the only issue I had was trying to force a 0.78mm into a Rose Masya (0.75mm) earbud - which broke the plastic locator.
....I'm currently using a 0.78mm balanced copper cable attached to TRN-VX (0.75mm) - which seems to fit perefctly!

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #47,758 of 100,493
Good tips! Unfortunately I can't keep long nails due to needing to do lots of heavy work at home and in the office.

Any of you guys tried something like this MMCX assist remover thing? Seems it is being sold by Final Audio:

I use these fairly cheap automotive depinning tools. There are 3 or 4 that will work in the larger sets. Search 'automotive pin tool' on AE.
IMG_20191129_234148.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #47,759 of 100,493
Two-pin also just works. Too many MMCX that the tolerances are not good so we have the D10 incident and FiiO incidents. Or one side tighter than the other or should have been longer. Too many out of the box MMCX things that are not even user error. Neither is perfect but MMCX just a bit more trouble. Funny that DC plug never caught on since it can spin which can help fit but doesn't give the MMCX issues. The only bad rep was Sleek Audio had bad cables but it wasn't the connectors. People still have the Panny Zircon w/o connector issues even if they have had to replace the cable it was elsewhere.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #47,760 of 100,493

I bought these and they are pretty awesome. Certainly saved me a lot of yankage, well worth it if you can get them for a reasonable price. One thing to note is that with certain iem and mmcx pin/barrel combinations that sit completely flush with each other and don't have the slight gap between them that most combinations do, this tool will not work. But with about 90% of stuff this works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back