The discovery thread!
Mar 30, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #46,876 of 101,290
Screenshot (457).pngGOLDPLANAR_GL20_DF.png

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #46,880 of 101,290
Yeah! There's only one true Mojito...
1585605412699.png

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #46,881 of 101,290
Kinera don't impress as tuners. All of their stuff that I have heard is mediocre at best. Just because they are using some higher end BAs don't mean much. They can make stuff that looks like premium custom in ears and then when you hear their stuff. Makes you wonder what they were thinking at times. Unless they prove otherwise a $400 Kinera IEM will be a hard sell.

That mojito been out for a while actually since something like November before the outbreak. People aren't gravitating to buy them even on a small sales discount. And the price isn't so take one for the team friendly. So will wait it out and see how those do.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #46,882 of 101,290
They look outstanding though....the amber is the golden color and they look gorgeous but I can’t find much review wise........ thanks

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #46,883 of 101,290
So here is something new to the scene. As you guys know how I feel about the ISN H40 last year. It has been a smashing success for ISN. No secret I applaud well designed amazing sounding in ears at any cost. Their new IEMs for guys that have not been following the ISN thread is the D10. It follows the high mark of design that was the H40.

I just wrote a review on it. You can read about it here. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-d10.24286/reviews#item-review-23462
1585591720712.png
Can you compare them to Blessing 2?

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #46,884 of 101,290
Blessing 2 is overall a smoother more mid forward, dimensional listen over the D10. Difference in using 2 BAs for mids vs the single dynamic being used on the D10. D10 has a bit more in the way of treble emphasis/ energy in the treble area but both are tuned to not fatigue. Bass is the big difference. The D10 sub bass is something else. It has the kick of a angry Donkey in the subs and I mean that in a good way. Balancing wise the Blessing 2 is more fine tuned so the bass end is not over emphasized on the tuning vs the big sub bass rumble on the D10. The D10 mids are more neutral in emphasis vs the slightly mid enhanced signatures of Moondrops in ears with its version of the harmon tuning. Imaging and clarity stands out on the D10 even though it is using a single dynamic. The mid bands of the Blessing 2 has a more spacious dimensional quality vs the clean detailed natural timbre of the D10 mid bands.

The D10 is more a fun tuning with its sub wooferish sub bass and treble sparkle. Vs the more laid back smooth casual even listen on the Blessing 2. Stage wise both are nice n wide I feel the Blessing 2 has the edge in depth. Considering the D10 cost almost half the price vs the Blessing 2. And is a completely different signature. These 2 compliment vs really competing.

D10 is perfect for rock metal, EDM, Pop, hip-hop. Modern genres. Its got the stage to represent something like classical decently too. Blessing 2 I feel is versatile as well but it is slightly more laid back in the bass and treble area vs the D10 and that is the main difference between the two.

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #46,885 of 101,290
Blessing 2 is overall a smoother more mid forward, dimensional listen over the D10. Difference in using 2 BAs for mids vs the single dynamic being used on the D10. D10 has a bit more in the way of treble emphasis/ energy in the treble area but both are tuned to not fatigue. Bass is the big difference. The D10 sub bass is something else. It has the kick of a angry Donkey in the subs and I mean that in a good way. Balancing wise the Blessing 2 is more fine tuned so the bass end is not over emphasized on the tuning vs the big sub bass rumble on the D10. The D10 mids are more neutral in emphasis vs the slightly mid enhanced signatures of Moondrops in ears with its version of the harmon tuning. Imaging and clarity stands out on the D10 even though it is using a single dynamic. The mid bands of the Blessing 2 has a more spacious dimensional quality vs the clean detailed natural timbre of the D10 mid bands.

The D10 is more a fun tuning with its sub wooferish sub bass and treble sparkle. Vs the more laid back smooth casual even listen on the Blessing 2. Stage wise both are nice n wide I feel the Blessing 2 has the edge in depth. Considering the D10 cost almost half the price vs the Blessing 2. And is a completely different signature. These 2 compliment vs really competing.

D10 is perfect for rock metal, EDM, Pop, hip-hop. Modern genres. Its got the stage to represent something like classical decently too. Blessing 2 I feel is versatile as well but it is slightly more laid back in the bass and treble area vs the D10 and that is the main difference between the two.
Since you have both to listen, can you compare the Blessing 2 vs H40? Since both are competing somewhere in the same (mid tier?) range

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #46,886 of 101,290
It will more or less matter how you like your sonic qualities. These two share the same market space but one is a good $100 cheaper in the H40. I do believe the drivers that are being used on the Blessing 2 is probably a bit higher end Knowles. I have no idea what drivers the ISN H40 is using.

People that like them a smooth easy laid back listen the Blessing will appeal to more. If your treble or bass sensitive. Blessing 2 has a very safe tuning meaning it has very good coherency from treble to bass but not one aspect of the sonic qualities on the Blessing 2 sticks out above the others. So it sounds slightly more mid forward than anything really standing out sonically. So the balancing is very refined there.

Where the H40 comes in is for guys that want a bit more in the way of bass impact and a bit more sparkle in the mid treble bands. Has a bold mid range to it. To make it fair I have a $100 cable on the H40. Using a ISN SC4 cable which enhances the sonic quantities of the H40. The edge goes to the H40 with this cable but without the cable the Blessing 2 edges out the H40 in sonic refinement. Blessing 2 has that harmon hump in the 3Khz range which adds to presence for the mid bands. The H40 a bit lesser in that regard so lower mids have better presence for the H40 vs the upper mids of the blessing 2. Both having wide stages. I would actually give the better depth to the H40 here. Blessing 2 is no slouch in depth however.

If your a fan of laid back well balanced tunings the Blessing 2 is a good one. But if you want a bit more in the way of dynamic qualities to your sonics I like the H40. H40 also has a bit more dimensional qualities to the sonics a touch more roomier. Another aspect worth mentioning. The H40 scales to cables much better than the Blessing 2. In fact next to my Zeus the Blessing 2 is very picky with cables. Due to its smooth laid back character be it silver or copper the Blessing 2 does not change sonic character too much. H40 on the other had scales to cables like crazy. It has become my test bed for cables actually.

As crazy as it sounds. I can make the humble $195 ISN H40 sound like a $500 plus earphone using the ISN SC4 cable and even higher end using the Penon Leo Plus.
I suppose you have to be a cable believer to understand that but if you take them as they are. I am glad I own both. Both are worthy of your collection.

The H40 has more of a wow factor. The blessing 2 not as much but it is the type that gradually grows on a person.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #46,887 of 101,290
Kinera don't impress as tuners. All of their stuff that I have heard is mediocre at best. Just because they are using some higher end BAs don't mean much. They can make stuff that looks like premium custom in ears and then when you hear their stuff. Makes you wonder what they were thinking at times. Unless they prove otherwise a $400 Kinera IEM will be a hard sell.

That mojito been out for a while actually since something like November before the outbreak. People aren't gravitating to buy them even on a small sales discount. And the price isn't so take one for the team friendly. So will wait it out and see how those do.
Yeah...it's tough to find something about this IEM at this point. They had a promotion on FB and I was one of the winners whose won 30% discount on the Mojito, dropping the price to U$279. But I confess I'm a little afraid to buy and regret... Meanwhile I'm looking at options at ISN H40/Blessing 2 to Fearless S8F/S8Z or the new Thieaudio Legacy 9 range. I'm planning to keep off the game for a while.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #46,888 of 101,290
It will more or less matter how you like your sonic qualities. These two share the same market space but one is a good $100 cheaper in the H40. I do believe the drivers that are being used on the Blessing 2 is probably a bit higher end Knowles. I have no idea what drivers the ISN H40 is using.

People that like them a smooth easy laid back listen the Blessing will appeal to more. If your treble or bass sensitive. Blessing 2 has a very safe tuning meaning it has very good coherency from treble to bass but not one aspect of the sonic qualities on the Blessing 2 sticks out above the others. So it sounds slightly more mid forward than anything really standing out sonically. So the balancing is very refined there.

Where the H40 comes in is for guys that want a bit more in the way of bass impact and a bit more sparkle in the mid treble bands. Has a bold mid range to it. To make it fair I have a $100 cable on the H40. Using a ISN SC4 cable which enhances the sonic quantities of the H40. The edge goes to the H40 with this cable but without the cable the Blessing 2 edges out the H40 in sonic refinement. Blessing 2 has that harmon hump in the 3Khz range which adds to presence for the mid bands. The H40 a bit lesser in that regard so lower mids have better presence for the H40 vs the upper mids of the blessing 2. Both having wide stages. I would actually give the better depth to the H40 here. Blessing 2 is no slouch in depth however.

If your a fan of laid back well balanced tunings the Blessing 2 is a good one. But if you want a bit more in the way of dynamic qualities to your sonics I like the H40. H40 also has a bit more dimensional qualities to the sonics a touch more roomier. Another aspect worth mentioning. The H40 scales to cables much better than the Blessing 2. In fact next to my Zeus the Blessing 2 is very picky with cables. Due to its smooth laid back character be it silver or copper the Blessing 2 does not change sonic character too much. H40 on the other had scales to cables like crazy. It has become my test bed for cables actually.

As crazy as it sounds. I can make the humble $195 ISN H40 sound like a $500 plus earphone using the ISN SC4 cable and even higher end using the Penon Leo Plus.
I suppose you have to be a cable believer to understand that but if you take them as they are. I am glad I own both. Both are worthy of your collection.

The H40 has more of a wow factor. The blessing 2 not as much but it is the type that gradually grows on a person.
That's actually more food for thought. Thank you, my friend!
If I end up buying the ISN H40, I was planning on buying together E1DA 9038S or Fiio BTR5 to complement one another.

Btw, the Blessing 2 is U$279 right now on aliexpress.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #46,890 of 101,290
[IMG]

Modding Your Internal Hardware: How To Remove Upper-Midrange Peaks With Audiophile Olive Oil

THE PROBLEM

What? Audiophile olive oil? Who has not had the disappointing experience of unboxing a long expected earphone and then be shocked by an overly harsh and hard sound perception. Such hardness is typically introduced by peaks between 2 and 4 kHz, the most sensitive frequency segment for the human ear. Or not? It has been established that Asian provocative ears are less sensitive to shrillness and shoutiness, in fact such sonic liveliness is deemed desirable [our article on nasty peaks]. Western ears are more cautious towards uberrepresented frequencies, but the western markets are negligibly small in comparison so that Chi-Fi tuners frequently do not offer special consideration. European and North American customers have no choice but deploy either (reversible) modding techniques or add third-party devices.

We have discussed on this blog before that the cheapest way of altering sound in an earphone is changing the stock tips [our article on eartips]. Narrow-bore tips typically yield a deeper, tubier soundstage, whereas wide-bores attenuate bass and reveal treble. The second cheapest way of changing sound is (reversible) modding [our reversible modding principles]. Micropore tape over nozzles can work wonders with that peaky upper end. If you are a lawyer or heart surgeon, or another rich twit, you may try your luck with pricey cables or calm the sound of your expensive however aggressive earphone with the distant memory of your pleasant unboxing experience.

But have you ever considered not altering the external hardware, i.e. earphones, but rather manipulating the internal hardware, i.e. your very own ear canals? Humans manipulate their hardware all the time for all sorts of purposes, from working out in the gym for fitness, through seeking healthy improvements by medications or supplements, even plastic surgery, to doping in professional sports.
THE SOLUTION

Researchers at the “Max Planck Institut für Strömungsforschung” in Germany have discovered an amazingly simple way of smoothing perceived sound by smoothing your ear canals to minimize internal distortion and resonance. To achieve this, the researchers first shaved the accessible frontal part of the ear canal and then lubricated the inner walls. In order to achieve maximum smoothness, the lubricant has to be of a favourable viscosity.

olive oil
The smoothening effect of audiophile olive oil is reflected by the frequently response.

Viscosity is defined as a measure of the internal friction, that is the resistance of a liquid against being moved/deformed. According to the researchers, the viscosity of the fluid in the ear has to be just right so that the thin film covering the ear canal does not tear when the earpieces are inserted. Dr. Schnuckelbein, who was leading the team of the Max Plank Institute, told audioreviews.org that olive oil fulfills all these requirements. But hold it, not any cheap olive oil does the job. The one that works best comes from the Argana valley in Morocco and from various locations of Tunesia.

audiophile olive oil
Order your audiophile olive oil from audioreviews.org NOW!

PROFESSIONAL TESTIMONIES

Other reviewers confirm my positive experience. The Crinch reports that the lubrication of the olive oil put his graph tool into an endless spin. The Audiotool found the oil useful for removing rust from himself, and the ant-eater uses it for frying up his dinner, too. Not sure how the Contraceptionst deployed it but primate audio failed to superimpose graphs of different earphones after too generous an application…they simply slipped off each other. Alaskan good girl bad girl (AGGBG) eventually even smoothened out her foul language with the oil so that Discord were forced to rename themselves to Concord. Co-blogger KopyOkaty, finally, was very successful in restoring his hearing and recover from his moderate deafness. Only Dead-Fi remained dead, even with the finest audiophile olive oil.

CONCLUDING REMARKS

In summary, audiophile olive oil is way more effective and versatile than snake oil for improving one’s listening pleasure. Applied together with hard liquor, it creates a sensation of optimistic listening, promotes expectation bias, and it has been proven as a good tool against buyer’s remorse. Last but not least it is is much cheaper than snake oil, too. You can order a 10 ml bottle of audiophile olive oil from us for only $49.99; worldwide shipping and a free pipette included. Hey, after all, we have to start making some money.

And since we can’t do this every day, our special offer will expire on 2nd April 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back