The discovery thread!
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #45,901 of 99,838
Not sure if this belongs here, but the Porta Pros has been something I've been willing to try for a while, and finally got one on sale.

In terms of build, the cable is a lot better than I expected from the images.

As for the sound, had a quick listen and I think these are some of the smoothest headphone around in terms of sound signature. You can literally listen for hours and not feel fatigued. The comfort is improved further with the Yaxi pads, definitely worth the extra $10.

All in all - fantastic value for money, and a great addition to most collections IMO.

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4841_R.JPG

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #45,903 of 99,838
Dec 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #45,905 of 99,838
Dec 24, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #45,907 of 99,838
Happy Holidays folks :)

What would be an upgrade to the TRN V90, btw ?

Are there even ones with a similar sound sig for around 100-200 USD ?

I'm really *LOVING* that sound signature and the characteristics it brings out of the music

The funny thing is that when combining the V90 with a balanced (no balanced source) silver plated copper cable (SPC) from the yoyo brand with the 2 Ys that IEM really starts to shine, the details open up, the clarity increases, the bass seems to become a bit more agile as well

But when combining that cable (or SPC type) with the KZ AS10 it's just shrill, the output of the AS10 is really foggy, dull, boring compared to the V90 - lacking all of the nice higher bits (harmonies ?) which make the music that much exciting.

Are the KZ ZSX similar to the V90 in that regard or even more sparkly, emphasized in harmonies ?

Would good quality tuned piezo-electric hybrid IEMs offer even more of that ?

The thing is: I've the Nicehck NX7 but somehow I don't seem to get that response (my impression) out of that for some reason

perhaps I need to a/b it vs. the V90 but the V90 seems to be the most fun IEM so far I have.

Kopi O Kaya did an excellent job with the tuning and the BA and dynamic drivers also appear to have good capabilities

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #45,908 of 99,838

I'm really *LOVING* that sound signature and the characteristics it brings out of the music

The funny thing is that when combining the V90 with a balanced (no balanced source) silver plated copper cable (SPC) from the yoyo brand with the 2 Ys that IEM really starts to shine, the details open up, the clarity increases, the bass seems to become a bit more agile as well

But when combining that cable (or SPC type) with the KZ AS10 it's just shrill, the output of the AS10 is really foggy, dull, boring compared to the V90 - lacking all of the nice higher bits (harmonies ?) which make the music that much exciting.

Are the KZ ZSX similar to the V90 in that regard or even more sparkly, emphasized in harmonies ?

The thing is: I've the Nicehck NX7 but somehow I don't seem to get that response (my impression) out of that for some reason

perhaps I need to a/b it vs. the V90 but the V90 seems to be the most fun IEM so far I have.

Kopi O Kaya did an excellent job with the tuning and the BA and dynamic drivers also appear to have good capabilities

Happy Holidays to you and everyone!

My personal take on "cables matter" - largely when there are limitations/mismatch with the source. I experienced similar with AS10 using a phone (S9). I still love my AS10.

I am currently really enjoying NX7 pro, - with 55-58 Ohm, it is a bit demanding compared to source-friendly ZS10 pro and ZSX (I have C12 analogue).

So my limited suggestion (easy to ignore, if anything) is to consider investing those "100-200" in your source, you may hear things differently (and opens an even bigger rabbit hole of this hobby) :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #45,910 of 99,838
A nice jump into mid fi category in sound would be the ISN H40. Best earphones I have heard all year in the price range.

A bit of an update.

I havent been posting about the DUNU DM480 much due to several reasons but mainly because I didnt know where DUNU was going with them. They are now being sold on Penon site and is offically launched.

So the sound singnature is similar to the old Vsonic GR07 with more an emphasis on lower treble than upper treble which is not a bad thing per se. I do believe they will be a niche product. Build is solid as can be and the sub bass rumble if off the hook on them. However just like the old GR07 the meat of the music is more hi fi like or analytical, monitor in signature more so than musical fuller bodied. Has more of a U type signature to the sound. A bit AKG like. They do need a bit of burn in since out of the box they sound nothing like the final results.

Overall they work great for hip hop and EDM. Bassy genres but for vocal acoustic stuff not as much. I would say they give a better value than the old GR07 but that really isnt saying much since we have phones now a days that outdoes the old GR07 in many ways for half the cost. So hense my reservation on them.

I would like to reval more about them but lets just say there are other things in the works as I was told and it will not be the last time you guys will be reading about the DM480. If you guys are a fan of big bold sub bass however. These might be the ticket for you. I have not quite heard sub bass rumble quite like what is on these.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #45,911 of 99,838
A nice jump into mid fi category in sound would be the ISN H40. Best earphones I have heard all year in the price range.

A bit of an update.

I havent been posting about the DUNU DM480 much due to several reasons but mainly because I didnt know where DUNU was going with them. They are now being sold on Penon site and is offically launched.

So the sound singnature is similar to the old Vsonic GR07 with more an emphasis on lower treble than upper treble which is not a bad thing per se. I do believe they will be a niche product. Build is solid as can be and the sub bass rumble if off the hook on them. However just like the old GR07 the meat of the music is more hi fi like or analytical, monitor in signature more so than musical fuller bodied. Has more of a U type signature to the sound. A bit AKG like. They do need a bit of burn in since out of the box they sound nothing like the final results.

Overall they work great for hip hop and EDM. Bassy genres but for vocal acoustic stuff not as much. I would say they give a better value than the old GR07 but that really isnt saying much since we have phones now a days that outdoes the old GR07 in many ways for half the cost. So hense my reservation on them.

I would like to reval more about them but lets just say there are other things in the works as I was told and it will not be the last time you guys will be reading about the DM480. If you guys are a fan of big bold sub bass however. These might be the ticket for you. I have not quite heard sub bass rumble quite like what is on these.
Sounds like something a basshead like @baskingshark would like.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #45,912 of 99,838

Yeah i think lz a6 mini is a good rec for you

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #45,913 of 99,838

I'm a big fan of the V90 too. I think the BQEYZ Spring 1 and LZ A6 Mini are both awesome upgrades to the V90 in that price range. Actually the A6 Mini can be had for well under $100. It's not as bassy as the V90, but it's not bass-light at all, IMO. The Spring 1 has a closer amount of bass to the V90, but it also has tons of detail in the highs while still remaining smooth, much like the V90.

Dec 24, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #45,914 of 99,838

A bit of an update.

Merry Christmas @Dsnuts . That's from both me and my wallet:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back