The discovery thread!
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #45,631 of 100,819
Hello Otto Motor
I have 2 requests to you:
- can you provide a link to Diamond i1 on Aliexpress when they are available?
- is there a chance for some discount on these headphones? For example, for my beloved number 69? :wink:

Greetings from Poland
1) I don't have a link.
2) I don't know. You have to ask them/

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #45,632 of 100,819
Stabbing, that was Bad Guy opinion, it sure is strong and the graph can tell you the same

Yes, that graph looks accurate...but what it doesn't portray is how the vocals are thrown and it sounds like listening to a band in a small metal shed.

So it sounds like a case of slapping a driver in a shell and doing no tuning, which happens a lot.

When you do all that tweaking with your EQ and making it sound great, you are doing all of the tuning for them.
Yep. I mean I was going to do it anyway because that's my listening style.... But the driver has potential. It's like someone put a v8 in a Toyota yaris. It's the opposite of the trn v90, which I believe is built and tuned masterfully out of junk. You're not going to get much more out of the v90 by tweaking it, but you will with this.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #45,633 of 100,819
haha

I've never heard of Pizen. I'm sure someone else is making it, and Pizen is engraving their name on it. Especially since the one with the fixed cable has no logo at all.

In any case, I have no clue if it's any good. Maybe someone will be willing to give it a try and let us know?

That DLC model has been for a long time in Shopee, at least from February-March, the one with fixed cable, concretely.

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #45,634 of 100,819
...but what it doesn't portray is how the vocals are thrown and it sounds like listening to a band in a small metal shed.

709683D5-9E29-40C7-BEF4-16C61C82B7DC.jpeg

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #45,635 of 100,819
I received my TIN HiFi T4 about two hours ago and have been listening to it since then. Not a lot of time on which to base an opinion, but my first impressions are extremely positive. It offers a very balanced sound to my ears. It's also very detailed, musical, clean and smooth sounding. It makes for a relaxed listening session, yet still has a very nice energy to it. I really like this tuning. There is a range of signatures that suit my preferences and in terms of bass quantity the T4 is on the lower end of what I prefer, but I really love what it offers as a whole.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #45,636 of 100,819
Back on the topic of DLC, I think I've finally come to have a solid opinion on the FAAEAL Hibiscus.
I have the clear version and no QC issues I can see. Because it's clear it's hard to see if I have the "ridge" that others have. it may be there it may not, if it is, it's basically clear.... I do feel a little something running my finger over that area.

Anyway, they're like a pair of binoculars to me. That is too say I believe it is a very capable driver when given the attention they need, but out of the box is not tuned well for my tastes nor anyone I know they're tastes well enough to recommend pairs to. My big problem is sounding out of focus, like they're out of phase even though I've tested many times.

Without EQ and mseb it's a real stinker, but it cleans up nicely when you control the upper mids and move the vocals to the right spot. I've tested a bunch of times and mine ARE in phase. They sound like they're out of phase to me out of the box...

Long story short, don't buy them if you don't plan on using EQ or DSP, but if you don't mind, you can get quite a bit out of them and get an interesting feel of a DLC driver.

Yes, that graph looks accurate...but what it doesn't portray is how the vocals are thrown and it sounds like listening to a band in a small metal shed.

Yep. I mean I was going to do it anyway because that's my listening style.... But the driver has potential. It's like someone put a v8 in a Toyota yaris. It's the opposite of the trn v90, which I believe is built and tuned masterfully out of junk. You're not going to get much more out of the v90 by tweaking it, but you will with this.
Ever since the TFZ No. 3 (clear vs. Titanium shell) and the ikko OH10 (a copper shell, vs. the OH1's Aerospace alloy), it's been nagging me that both companies and some reviewers state that the density of the metal shell will effect the playback.

I opted for the red Hibiscus, because the copy on them states that their shell is ZINC- MAGNESIUM ALLOY, vs. the clear version, which is ABS RESIN. I haven't found a disparity in the vocals on the two units that I tested. The one that I returned did have a driver flex issue on the same left side, that has the raised ridge; which I blame on a poorly machined cast, as both units have the ridge.

I agree, that the Hibiscus doesn't shine, unless you're willing to EQ them.

IMO, the FAAEAL Hibiscus would be an excellent choice for someone looking to up their game, into the $50 - $75 range (once the Mft. can address the cosmetic issue). As the Hibiscus has decent low end, accurate vocals (male and female) and they don't attempt to stab my ears, with an 8K needle. And then there's the stock cable, which I think can be a serious contender for best stock cable, next to the Tin HiFi T3.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #45,638 of 100,819
So it sounds like a case of slapping a driver in a shell and doing no tuning, which happens a lot.

When you do all that tweaking with your EQ and making it sound great, you are doing all of the tuning for them.

yep. lazy man's tuning. if you have to EQ the crap out of them, they aren't worth having, and they weren't tuned properly in the first place.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #45,639 of 100,819
yep. lazy man's tuning. if you have to EQ the crap out of them, they aren't worth having, and they weren't tuned properly in the first place.

My isine 20s shed a single tear ; )

I think it's often worth the effort to EQ something that has interesting/desirable technical performance to get either: a sound you otherwise might not be able to get anywhere or a sound you would otherwise have to pay more for

Hence my affection for very fiddly IEMs like the Spring 1 or Advanced GT3 Superbass as well. I could spend over twice what I spent on the Superbass and get the Furai...or I could fix the treble in EQ and be pleased with what I've got.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #45,640 of 100,819

That’s kinda how I feel about it.

Now, I have no problem doing minor EQ tweaks to get rid of a resonance that affects my particular ear canal for example, or to give a bump to an area that others may not like but I do (like adding a little boost to treble for extra sparkle).

But to have to go in and wholesale reshape/retune the entire frequency curve because zero tuning was done by the manufacturer, ummm no thanks.

The key in my mind is intent. For example, if a manufacturer intentionally tunes a headphone to the Harman curve, that shows intent. I generally like the Harman curve, but I may want to do a minor tweak to compensate for a particular set of eartips. And that’s OK.

But if a manufacturer did zero intentional tuning, and just slapped a driver in a shell to cash in on a piece of the pie, then it’s a pass for me. I expect that from bottom feeders like QKZ and the $1 earphones that have “6D sound” and whatnot.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #45,641 of 100,819
That’s kinda how I feel about it.

Now, I have no problem doing minor EQ tweaks to get rid of a resonance that affects my particular ear canal for example, or to give a bump to an area that others may not like but I do (like adding a little boost to treble for extra sparkle).

But to have to go in and wholesale reshape/retune the entire frequency curve because zero tuning was done by the manufacturer, ummm no thanks.

The key in my mind is intent. For example, if a manufacturer intentionally tunes a headphone to the Harman curve, that shows intent. I generally like the Harman curve, but I may want to do a minor tweak to compensate for a particular set of eartips. And that’s OK.

But if a manufacturer did zero intentional tuning, and just slapped a driver in a shell to cash in on a piece of the pie, then it’s a pass for me. I expect that from bottom feeders like QKZ and the $1 earphones that have “6D sound” and whatnot.

this is exactly what i meant. if you have to go wholesale EQ, then no no no. minor tweaks are mostly bound to happen, unless you're one of those folks who don't do any EQ at all. I think i minor tweak all my earphones and headphones except the IE800. Those pretty much sound just fine with no EQ at all, but all my others need just a little tweak or two here or there, if they are worth their weight. some are garbage regardless of EQ.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #45,642 of 100,819
My isine 20s shed a single tear ; )

I think it's often worth the effort to EQ something that has interesting/desirable technical performance to get either: a sound you otherwise might not be able to get anywhere or a sound you would otherwise have to pay more for

Hence my affection for very fiddly IEMs like the Spring 1 or Advanced GT3 Superbass as well. I could spend over twice what I spent on the Superbass and get the Furai...or I could fix the treble in EQ and be pleased with what I've got.

Minor EQ is cool. it can be essential for most? i was talking mass tweaking. no.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #45,643 of 100,819
Between my ie800, ie40 pro, and NX7, i'm very satisfied with my audio gear. i pulled the ie40pro off the holding shelf and i've really been enjoying that dynamic driver sound. the wideband driver picks up details as easily as the NX7, with wider stage. the fit can take some time to get right, and the seal can slip with the short nozzle, but it doesn't seem to be deterring the BLON 03 owners, so i've been looking past that, and really Sennheiser came up with a true winner that plays with the big boys at a very budget price. Not sure why they went this route, when they've always placed their better sounding iem's in the TOTL to HIGH MIDFI pricing. don't look a gift horse. i'm just glad they did it.

because of that, i'm probably going to sell off all my single DD earphones in my collection minus the Senn's. i've got a potential buyer for the FW01's, and i'll bundle the rest as an all for one sale?

IMG_3315.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #45,644 of 100,819
Minor EQ is cool. it can be essential for most? i was talking mass tweaking. no.

Well, "minor" is relative. The iSine20 EQ is not that radical in the number of decibals, but it's a very specific parametric EQ that Audeze felt the need to put out special cables for, plus a VST plugin. Smaller brands working at lower price points would not be able to do that.

The EQ I do to the GT3 is not that complicated, just lifting upper treble and 2k. (Plus subbass, because I just like subbass : )

But the EQ I apply to the Spring 1 is more of a re-tune with boosts and cuts across the whole frequency range, on top of modding. Is that ideal? Absolutely not. But I'd much rather listen to the Spring 1 with EQ than to my IEMs that are similarly priced with better stock tuning/timbre, but worse performance, like the IT01 or TFZ No.3. Or, for that matter, the Massdrop Plus, which has an extremely good tuning and timbre and costs 2x-3x as much as the Spring 1. I bet the LZ A6 would beat it -- but again, for 2-3x as much.

I really hope that BQEYZ can figure out the tuning on a follow-up to the Spring 1 while staying in the $100-200 range, I think that would be an absolutely killer product. In the meantime, I'm okay picking up their slack since the result sounds great : )

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #45,645 of 100,819
The iSine20 EQ is not that radical in the number of decibals, but it's a very specific parametric EQ that Audeze felt the need to put out special cables for, plus a VST plugin.

That demonstrates my point exactly, showing purposeful intent on their part :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back