The discovery thread!
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #45,646 of 100,768
Stabbing, that was Bad Guy opinion, it sure is strong and the graph can tell you the same

Desperate times... I’ve managed to tame mine with blue rizla dampers behind the dust guard. No more stabbing and they’ve kept most of their characteristics, but with more emphasis on upper bass and lower mids...super boosted upper mids/lower treble are gone, they’re much more un-fatiguing now without feeling veiled.

Will try some other materials at some point but pretty happy with how they sound right now. Kind of like adding a white Ety filter.

Edit: switched to 3mm sponge cubes as paper dampers were rolling off too much treble. They’re now bright but coherent, overall I’m fairly happy with them as a nice grab and go alternative to my V90s.

To anyone considering them I’d probably say wait for the KBear Diamond or try the Dunu DM480s (both of which I’d like)!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #45,647 of 100,768
Well, "minor" is relative. The iSine20 EQ is not that radical in the number of decibals, but it's a very specific parametric EQ that Audeze felt the need to put out special cables for, plus a VST plugin. Smaller brands working at lower price points would not be able to do that.

The EQ I do to the GT3 is not that complicated, just lifting upper treble and 2k. (Plus subbass, because I just like subbass : )

But the EQ I apply to the Spring 1 is more of a re-tune with boosts and cuts across the whole frequency range, on top of modding. Is that ideal? Absolutely not. But I'd much rather listen to the Spring 1 with EQ than to my IEMs that are similarly priced with better stock tuning/timbre, but worse performance, like the IT01 or TFZ No.3. Or, for that matter, the Massdrop Plus, which has an extremely good tuning and timbre and costs 2x-3x as much as the Spring 1. I bet the LZ A6 would beat it -- but again, for 2-3x as much.

I really hope that BQEYZ can figure out the tuning on a follow-up to the Spring 1 while staying in the $100-200 range, I think that would be an absolutely killer product. In the meantime, I'm okay picking up their slack since the result sounds great : )
I am already very impressed with the Spring 1 as is, but I would definitely be interested in trying your EQ settings if you're willing to share them. What did you feel was out of whack about the stock tuning?

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #45,648 of 100,768
I am already very impressed with the Spring 1 as is, but I would definitely be interested in trying your EQ settings if you're willing to share them. What did you feel was out of whack about the stock tuning?

Midbass is the big issue in terms of stock FR, plus the weird timbre. Also the midrange is more recessed than I would prefer. I think the single BA driver is not keeping up with the DD-piezo combo unit.

Doing the grill mod improves the timbre, but introduces sibilance (for me). So my settings are specific to grill modded Spring 1. Here's what I'm currently using (in Radsone ES100 w/ the wider q-factor option)

60F2D006-6CC7-4914-8B02-A2EEAAB3613A.png

The key bit (for me) is the 125-250 cut to clean up the midbass wooliness/bleed and the cut at 8k for sibilance. The 8k cut is probably not necessary if your Spring 1 still has the grill filters on.

Subbass and midrange boosts are to taste. Most people will not want as much sub as I've added, I'm sure.

This gives me something that is laid-back and musical but with great detail/imaging thanks to the piezo and a bass that is hard-hitting and pretty clean, albeit it not super detailed.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #45,649 of 100,768
Midbass is the big issue in terms of stock FR, plus the weird timbre. Also the midrange is more recessed than I would prefer. I think the single BA driver is not keeping up with the DD-piezo combo unit.

Doing the grill mod improves the timbre, but introduces sibilance (for me). So my settings are specific to grill modded Spring 1. Here's what I'm currently using (in Radsone ES100 w/ the wider q-factor option)

The key bit (for me) is the 125-250 cut to clean up the midbass wooliness/bleed and the cut at 8k for sibilance. The 8k cut is probably not necessary if your Spring 1 still has the grill filters on.

Subbass and midrange boosts are to taste. Most people will not want as much sub as I've added, I'm sure.

This gives me something that is laid-back and musical but with great detail/imaging thanks to the piezo and a bass that is hard-hitting and pretty clean, albeit it not super detailed.
Looks great, thank you. I do prefer less midbass and elevated sub bass. I also find that many IEMs are a little too intense at 8k and cutting it down often sounds better to me. I did do the grill mod/replacement on mine. So I'll try out your settings and see how they sound for me.

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #45,650 of 100,768

I agree the main problem as I stated on my review is on 80-120hz mid-upper bass. Boost up 20-40hz and reduce 80-120hz after grill mod is a killer. I snug in a little cut of sponge to prevent shouty/sibilance on lower trebles so I don't EQ them on lower highs, more sometimes i boost the 8khz just like 2 or 3 db.
You can always cut down the 3-4khz a little bit if you want

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #45,651 of 100,768
@kukkurovaca
I tried your EQ settings and they sound really good. A definite improvement. I might tweak them a little bit but nothing stands out now. So thanks again. I've been busy listening to and comparing so many new IEMs lately that I simply haven't fully explored the ones I got before.

I have to say, after the grill replacement and some EQ these things are absolutely killer. They sound incredible.

I'm also falling in love with my TIN HiFi T4, which I received earlier today. Those two are easily the best sounding IEMs I currently own.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #45,652 of 100,768
@kukkurovaca
I tried your EQ settings and they sound really good. A definite improvement. I might tweak them a little bit but nothing stands out now. So thanks again. I've been busy listening to and comparing so many new IEMs lately that I simply haven't fully explored the ones I got before.

I have to say, after the grill replacement and some EQ these things are absolutely killer. They sound incredible.

I'm also falling in love with my TIN HiFi T4, which I received earlier today. Those two are easily the best sounding IEMs I currently own.

How do you compare the Spring 1 vs T4? i also have LGv40 and BT20 as sources

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #45,653 of 100,768
I received my TIN HiFi T4 about two hours ago and have been listening to it since then. Not a lot of time on which to base an opinion, but my first impressions are extremely positive. It offers a very balanced sound to my ears. It's also very detailed, musical, clean and smooth sounding. It makes for a relaxed listening session, yet still has a very nice energy to it. I really like this tuning. There is a range of signatures that suit my preferences and in terms of bass quantity the T4 is on the lower end of what I prefer, but I really love what it offers as a whole.

Yes, I got mine two days ago, or so. Treble can be a little sharp at times, and it looks like there are problems with the stock cable connections, but the C8 cable you get with the pre-order works just fine. Bass goes low when required, but no bleed, and not always on. Replaced the BLON in my pocket. It is very good.

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #45,654 of 100,768
So, I bought the BGVP T01 dongle to pair it with my Samsung S9+ and at the beginning, the sound was so distorted as if I was on drugs. But after I lowered the volume down to 18, it sounds normal now but too low. Then, after try & fail a few times by rebooting, turn on & off some buttons on the developers setting & the music player (which none worked out), I decided to turn the volume up to the max/ the red line (about 130), voila! the sound become normal again. No distortion. With the phone media volume at max, I only need to turn down the individual app volumes to my desire with Samsung's sound assisant.

The weird thing here is volume from 18 above up to 132 cause the sound to be distorted af, but idk why.

p/s I had tried the dongle to my colleague's Samsung s8+ but it have no volume issue at all weirdly, only on my phone. I do need to try it to my brother's s9+ to know whether it was only on my phone or it was because samsung s9+ does have problem with this dongle

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #45,657 of 100,768
Looks like RHA CL2.
The peak is lower in the frequency range on the Hibiscus, and they sound absolutely nothing alike in reality. The CL2 is excellent but needs to be tamed a tiny bit between 4-8k depending on your source (-1db for me).

The Hibiscus is junk without devotion to EQ/DSP... But even with that, the Hibiscus can't match the timbre of the CL2.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #45,658 of 100,768
The peak is lower in the frequency range on the Hibiscus, and they sound absolutely nothing alike in reality. The CL2 is excellent but needs to be tamed a tiny bit between 4-8k depending on your source (-1db for me).

The Hibiscus is junk without devotion to EQ/DSP... But even with that, the Hibiscus can't match the timbre of the CL2.
When you look at a response like CL2, it's easy to tell there is no excellence. Any expensive iem should at bare minium have good tonal balance, or it's a ripoff. Shoot. Even at bare minimum tonal balance without technicaliaties, it's a ripoff.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #45,659 of 100,768
When you look at a response like CL2, it's easy to tell there is no excellence. Any expensive iem should at bare minium have good tonal balance, or it's a ripoff. Shoot. Even at bare minimum tonal balance without technicaliaties, it's a ripoff.
Different strokes for different folks I guess, don't always trust measurements. Let your ears do the measuring...

The CL2 is excellent in my opinion, especially if used on a powerful source and fully broken in. It's my best technical pair, although I wish the bass was stronger, but it has better than expected bass for a 10mm planar....

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #45,660 of 100,768
How do you compare the Spring 1 vs T4? i also have LGv40 and BT20 as sources
I haven't been able to directly compare them yet, but I think I like the Spring 1 slightly more. That said, the T4 is absolutely fantastic for my tastes. It's definitely my favorite single dynamic driver IEM. It has beautiful timbre and tonality. The bass doesn't bleed into the mids and it just sounds so balanced and cohesive. But it also has more detail, better separation and imaging than any of my other single DD sets. The sound stage is also large and feels 3D.

I think it has a good balance of some of the things I typically find more often in good hybrids, along with the things I love about dynamic driver IEMs, which is why I love it so much.

The Spring 1 is more resolving, with greater speed, better separation, detail and soundstage, but the T4 is still excellent in these areas. The T4's stock tuning is more to my preference overall, but I do like to EQ 2k through 16k down by about 1db. Not much, but it sounds even better that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back