The discovery thread!
Dec 2, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #45,526 of 101,682
Received them today and I'm definitely disappointed with the build quality icluding earphones and cable.
The same problem with the left earphone as described by lgcubana.It looks like a factory defect.
The cable itself has loosened plugs (it's quite visible on photos) - probably it's gonna die after 100 times of plugging in and out. Had to be really careful. The metal nut where the cable split up is moving all the time.

How to reaturn or replace it? Asking the seller to provide the address to ship them back? Let me know what they propose if you decided to contact with them.

I got my FAAEAL Hibiscus via Amazon, U.S. I opted to get a replacement pair.

Scary that your red pair has the same exact defect, as I'm assuming you used a different vendor (mine was/is Fibest, via Amazon). I wonder if the defect is limited to the red version or is it across all of the metal shells ?

One positive: as I continue to marinate (iPad, running Pandora: Early 2000s Club) the Hibiscus, the low end is gaining more presence. Nothing head splitting, but decent enough to compete against non-basshead rigs (e.g. TRN V90, Blon BL-03, KZ ZS10 Pro, ...). Put it this way, I would favor the Hibiscus over a non-modded (tape over the port) Tin HiFi T3, for it's frequency response, across the board.

The cable (at least on my 1st order) is a winner. No discernible observations to comment negatively about... if you want to knit pick, the chin strap might wriggle/shimmy down the cable. But I haven't really had a chance to walk around with the Hibiscus yet.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #45,527 of 101,682
I've had the impression that a single DD gained "mellowness" with time, it's not impossible at all, but what is certain for me is that my brain gets accustomed quickly to less bass, and that a tight and fast bass has a stimulating effect which I find joyful and keeps me alert, while a slow boomy bass has a sort of sleepy effect, makes everything sound vague and dreamy.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #45,528 of 101,682
I've had the impression that a single DD gained "mellowness" with time, it's not impossible at all, but what is certain for me is that my brain gets accustomed quickly to less bass, and that a tight and fast bass has a stimulating effect which I find joyful and keeps me alert, while a slow boomy bass has a sort of sleepy effect, makes everything sound vague and dreamy.
I switch between pairs very often. Over a long enough time I agree with you, but I don't listen that way anymore and I think that's true of a lot of people here.

The hibiscus sounds way different OOTB than it does after the 100+ hours I have on it now. It sounded like real crap, now it sounds okay, but not my cup of tea nonetheless. It's like a little bit better blon bl-03 to me.

I put my bqeyz bq3 in my ears just now and it's on another level for me from the hibiscus. I'm sitting here looking at a pile of gear that all costs more than the bq3 and doesn't sound as good. Ha, I love this hobby, and that makes as little sense as these headphones.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #45,530 of 101,682
How does the BQ3 compare to the V90?
The bq3 is tuned less v shaped, but cleaner sounding and capable of more bass via EQ. The soundstage is there real difference, the bq3 has my favorite soundstage of any pair at any price.

This might be a magic bullet for my ears, so ymmv.

The bass on the bq3 might be a bit slow for some, but I love it.

Both are great, if you're not looking to EQ and like V shaped, the v90 is perfect. But the bq3 Trump's it for me.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #45,531 of 101,682
Anyone confirmed if Toneking P10 is a planar magnetic unit yet or some new variation ?

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #45,532 of 101,682
Received them today and I'm definitely disappointed with the build quality icluding earphones and cable.
The same problem with the left earphone as described by lgcubana.It looks like a factory defect.
The cable itself has loosened plugs (it's quite visible on photos) - probably it's gonna die after 100 times of plugging in and out. Had to be really careful. The metal nut where the cable split up is moving all the time.

How to reaturn or replace it? Asking the seller to provide the address to ship them back? Let me know what they propose if you decided to contact with them.
FAIL Hibiscus

So that's three reds, with the same factory defect. I would guess that the area in contention is where the seam was not properly buffed down, prior to applying the finish.

For whatever it's worth, both units have the same discernible ridge, that can be felt, when you run your fingernail across them. Under the scrutiny of a bright, white light, you can see that the "blemish" is one of the two seams; that run into the neck.

On the left, my 1st unit
FAAEAL Fail.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #45,533 of 101,682
FAIL Hibiscus

So that's three reds, with the same factory defect. I would guess that the area in contention is where the seam was not properly buffed down, prior to applying the finish.

For whatever it's worth, both units have the same discernible ridge, that can be felt, when you run your fingernail across them. Under the scrutiny of a bright, white light, you can see that the "blemish" is one of the two seams; that run into the neck.

On the left, my 1st unit

Well, seems they are consistent so must be an artifact of their fabrication. I haven't seen any pics of "non defective" Hibiscus IEMs out there. Does this blemish impact the performance?

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #45,535 of 101,682
I saw one person selling theirs too at our local community with the same defect. I guess it happens to all the reds.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #45,536 of 101,682
I saw one person selling theirs too at our local community with the same defect. I guess it happens to all the reds.

It doesn't bode well for all of the other coloured variants either, as they presumably all use the same process to get the paint on there.

In the Hibiscus's stead, I have just placed an order for the T2 Galaxy.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #45,537 of 101,682
It doesn't bode well for all of the other coloured variants either, as they presumably all use the same process to get the paint on there.

Great choice

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #45,539 of 101,682

I am wondering if its the casting process of the shells that introduce that anomaly.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #45,540 of 101,682
Fwiw, my clear variation has no defects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back