The discovery thread!
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #45,496 of 100,223
Got the DM 380s
DSC06779.JPG So DM-380s here. For entry level Dunu sound. I have to say these are impressive. In fact both these and the DM 480 has got a very likable sound. I am not gonna say much as both being dynamics. Both deserve some drum n bass. Off to the burn in station they go.

Thus far. The DM 480 has got some serious low bass grunt. It has a sub bass level I haven't heard since old AT Solid bass days.. Yet don't seem to be missing if anything in the mids and treble. The DM-380 seems to have a very even tuning to the sound. Let me burn them in and I will have more to say about em.

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #45,497 of 100,223
Got the DM 380s
So DM-380s here. For entry level Dunu sound. I have to say these are impressive. In fact both these and the DM 480 has got a very likable sound. I am not gonna say much as both being dynamics. Both deserve some drum n bass. Off to the burn in station they go.

Thus far. The DM 480 has got some serious low bass grunt. It has a sub bass level I haven't heard since old AT Solid bass days.. Yet don't seem to be missing if anything in the mids and treble. The DM-380 seems to have a very even tuning to the sound. Let me burn them in and I will have more to say about em.

Wow, those are pretty flashy. They remind me of these:

FCC28F7D-33BA-4241-946F-F8E5666C56FF.jpeg

Hope they sound good. Is the cable removable or fixed?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #45,498 of 100,223
They are kinda blingy. I am impressed how cohesive Dunu got the DM-380 3 dynamic drivers. It sounds like one large dynamic in there. Which was probably the goal. DM -480 got a smoothness/ lushness to the sound I am digging, sound is large and in charge.

One thing for certain. These both have some outstanding bass. Bass guys gonna love these especially the DM -480. the DM 380 don't seem weak in the low bass either.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #45,499 of 100,223
Got the DM 380s
So DM-380s here. For entry level Dunu sound. I have to say these are impressive. In fact both these and the DM 480 has got a very likable sound. I am not gonna say much as both being dynamics. Both deserve some drum n bass. Off to the burn in station they go.

Are the dm480 still only available direct from Dunu? Do you have the final version, my understanding was shipping 12-25....

Anyway, you had me at "serious low bass grunt".

The DM380 immediately lost me at the hard wired cable part.

I need to order the dm480 so it gets here around the same time as my urbanfun isso14.... The FR graph on that pair is... Ridiculous looking.

Their latest 50mm berrylium over the ear set looks interesting to. Anyone heard the urbanfun over the ears? Looks different than their previous rbh hp2 rebadge....

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #45,501 of 100,223
Are the dm480 still only available direct from Dunu? Do you have the final version, my understanding was shipping 12-25....

Anyway, you had me at "serious low bass grunt".

The DM380 immediately lost me at the hard wired cable part.

I need to order the dm480 so it gets here around the same time as my urbanfun isso14.... The FR graph on that pair is... Ridiculous looking.

Their latest 50mm berrylium over the ear set looks interesting to. Anyone heard the urbanfun over the ears? Looks different than their previous rbh hp2 rebadge....

That is a good question for the Dunu rep that will be on the other thread. You should ask on that. Or he could answer you here too.

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #45,502 of 100,223
I see the Massdrop X Noble X are on sale for $125. Does anyone have any recommendations for these? Are they competitive with $125 Chifi offerings? 2 Knowles BA per side I believe.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #45,503 of 100,223
I see the Massdrop X Noble X are on sale for $125. Does anyone have any recommendations for these? Are they competitive with $125 Chifi offerings? 2 Knowles BA per side I believe.

There're some reviews on headfi about it: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/massdrop-x-noble-x-universal-iem.22025/reviews

I don't have the Noble X but one of the (mass)drop reviewers there said he preferred his KZ AS10 and TRN V80 to the Noble X. A lot of folks say the fit with stock tips is bad, but this seems to improve with aftermarket tips.
It's been out around 2017, the CHIFI industry has really caught up to the western midfi/budget segment in these 2 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if some sub $50 USD CHIFI sets nowadays can compete or maybe even surpass it in technicalities.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #45,506 of 100,223

I bought them in the 11.11 sale, got them a few days ago, and been trying out a lot of different earpads because they are not quite over my ears - cups are 95mm across, pads can fit my ears, but the top and bottom of my ears get squished a bit. For people with smaller heads/ears, this might not be an isssue. I really need 100mm pads to fit my ears without them getting squished... anyway the Urbanfun sound is really good, the driver is both really capable and there was thought put into the earpads from an acoustic perspective. The drivers can produce copious amounts of bass, which means you need velour/microfiber material like the stock pad or a hybrid earpad to keep that bass from getting overwhelming (I tried about 8 other earpads, and protein leather/lambskin/alcantara/etc are all materials that won't work). The only ear pad in my library that retained most of the acoustic qualities of the stock pads while also being more comfortable for me are the Dekoni Beyerdynamic DT Elite Velour:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...set-for-beyerdynamic-dt-770-880-990-and-more/

$50 is pretty pricey though for earpads... Brainwavz makes two types of circular pads, and right now in the non-XL (100mm) size I only have their polyurethane leather and sheepskin, neither of which were a good material match to the Urbanfun. There is a Brainwavz hybrid non-XL pad I may get, though I hesitate a bit because I have their oval hybrid and the velour part is lower quality than what Dekoni uses on their Elite Velour and it's also lower quality than the Brainwavz Micro Suede, i.e. I find the Brainwavz hybrid oval pad a bit rough on my skin and physically distracting compared to their Micro Suede, which feels great for long periods of wear. I have no idea why Brainwavz only has Micro Suede round ear pads in XL size... they could be the ideal pad material for the Urbanfun from an acoustic and comfort perspective.

Driver performance with stock pads is well controlled across the frequencies with terrific mids (male and female voices are spot on), detailed but not aggravating highs, and decent lows for an open back (there's sub-bass roll-off like most open backs). Imaging is very good, not the craziest out-of-head experience, but just really well done, very little mental effort required to figure out where sounds are coming from/imagine the space the music is in. If it wasn't for my XL head/ears, the Urbanfun would be one of my favorite open-back headphones I think. People with smaller heads/ears than mine should definitely consider them.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #45,509 of 100,223
I was gonna say I just bought the Tri I3 for $128ish. That thing comes with a 10mm Planar, 8mm Dynamic and a BA in an all aluminum housing. I haven't heard the Noble X but to be honest I am so not interested in that phone. Lol.
I thought about these but then again they looked very similar to the f3, which aren't well regarded...

How do you get that price on there? I saw the flyer with special prices but adding them to cart they show up as the normal sale price....? I have intense FOMO though too, and the IMR Rah looks like garbage without a crossover....

I bought them in the 11.11 sale, got them a few days ago, and been trying out a lot of different earpads because they are not quite over my ears - cups are 95mm across, pads can fit my ears, but the top and bottom of my ears get squished a bit. For people with smaller heads/ears, this might not be an isssue. I really need 100mm pads to fit my ears without them getting squished... anyway the Urbanfun sound is really good, the driver is both really capable and there was thought put into the earpads from an acoustic perspective. The drivers can produce copious amounts of bass, which means you need velour/microfiber material like the stock pad or a hybrid earpad to keep that bass from getting overwhelming (I tried about 8 other earpads, and protein leather/lambskin/alcantara/etc are all materials that won't work). The only ear pad in my library that retained most of the acoustic qualities of the stock pads while also being more comfortable for me are the Dekoni Beyerdynamic DT Elite Velour:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...set-for-beyerdynamic-dt-770-880-990-and-more/

$50 is pretty pricey though for earpads... Brainwavz makes two types of circular pads, and right now in the non-XL (100mm) size I only have their polyurethane leather and sheepskin, neither of which were a good material match to the Urbanfun. There is a Brainwavz hybrid non-XL pad I may get, though I hesitate a bit because I have their oval hybrid and the velour part is lower quality than what Dekoni uses on their Elite Velour and it's also lower quality than the Brainwavz Micro Suede, i.e. I find the Brainwavz hybrid oval pad a bit rough on my skin and physically distracting compared to their Micro Suede, which feels great for long periods of wear. I have no idea why Brainwavz only has Micro Suede round ear pads in XL size... they could be the ideal pad material for the Urbanfun from an acoustic and comfort perspective.

Driver performance with stock pads is well controlled across the frequencies with terrific mids (male and female voices are spot on), detailed but not aggravating highs, and decent lows for an open back (there's sub-bass roll-off like most open backs). Imaging is very good, not the craziest out-of-head experience, but just really well done, very little mental effort required to figure out where sounds are coming from/imagine the space the music is in. If it wasn't for my XL head/ears, the Urbanfun would be one of my favorite open-back headphones I think. People with smaller heads/ears than mine should definitely consider them.
Awesome, just to be clear these ARE open back? They looked like it, but given the last pair of there's was closed I wasn't sure of the aesthetics (minus 3 ports, I own the rbh hp2 which looks identical).

Looks like a budget focal elear that probably sounds 99% as good. But open really isn't for me....

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #45,510 of 100,223
First friendly encounter: KBEAR Diamond i1 vs. Moondrop Kanas Pro Edition (KPE).
First Impression_ .jpg
I passed on the review unit of the KPE to @loomisjohnson, but I remember that I didn't like their thin midrange. The Diamonds have a much fuller and lusher vocals department. The author of the above article didn't want to bring the different prices into the equation (KPE $180, KBEAR $80) as the KPE is now 2 years old and the prices of DDs have come down substantially. For your orientation, the drivers in the Tanchjim Oxygen cost $40 a pop, and the retail price is $280. I spent a lot of time comparing the Diamonds to my JVC HA-FDX1 reference ($250-380, depending on source). The JVCs sport a bigger driver with damped nozzles that produce a smoother vocals reproduction compared to the grittier Diamonds. Maybe we should have reduced the Diamonds' 5 kHz area bit to mimic the JVCs' midrange. I still find that the Diamonds have an excellent midrange, though. They certainly have a much better extended and more focused low end than the JVCs (whether this is good is another question).

UPDATE: after more testing and comparing, and talking to the co-tuner, we are now happy with the result. If we had trimmed the 5 kHz area, we would have taken life out of the image.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back