The discovery thread!
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #45,436 of 100,246
I hate carbon fiber, we're audiophiles not frigging need for speed afficionados, but well I seem to be the only one thinking this so disregard.

From the photos it looks like the carbon is simply inlayed into the metal. It should be easy to remove it and replace it with another material - wood, acrylic resin (clear, colored, etc), abalone, etc.

I’m not saying most people would do that, but rather that it is possible if you are into customizing your gear.

Given the color scheme of the metal and gold nozzle, I would have personally gone with a nice wood inlay - ebony, redwood, walnut, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #45,437 of 100,246
Lol I'll take the "bickering" for myself, you shouldn't listen so much to drunk Friday ramblings and random trolling, but it the end maybe you should, it's probably for the better :)

What can I say, on the mockup, the nozzle looks off compared to the real picture, way too short you might want to have it redrawed, could be a turn-off.

Cable looks great now on the real picture. That sage green is lovely too.

I hate carbon fiber, we're audiophiles not frigging need for speed afficionados, but well I seem to be the only one thinking this so disregard.

Wishing you the best for this product, happy to see more competition in this DD segment. On watchlist.
Thanks. Well, although I am not financially involved in this, I certainly am emotionally. The bass on the FR graph reminded me of the Focal Spark, also looking strong on paper but never being overbearing sound wise. Nozzle is long enough for my teutonic ears.

We should not forget, this is not a $200 driver. We had to tickle the best out of what were were given. And I think it will appeal to "audiophiles", too. Reasoning: going back to the Drop JVC HA-FDX1 single DD, two "audiophiles" (shotgunshane, crinacle) chose the bassier tuning filter, I did not. It may come down to tonal accuracy and tonal balance for the "audiophiles", and this earphone delivers. Let's sit back, sip on a glass of Bordeaux, and wait for the feedback.

Salut!

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #45,438 of 100,246
From the photos it looks like the carbon is simply inlayed into the metal. It should be easy to remove it and replace it with another material - wood, acrylic resin (clear, colored, etc), abalone, etc.

I’m not saying most people would do that, but rather that it is possible if you are into customizing your gear.

Let's just wait for the final product first there seems to be a lot of last minute changes so far.

If I end up ordering it, I might customize it with a pair of tits, it's more badass than carbon fiber.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #45,439 of 100,246
Let's just wait for the final product first there seems to be a lot of last minute changes so far.

If I end up ordering it, I might customize it with a pair of tits, it's more badass than carbon fiber.
I don't understand the concern about the faceplate: it is just cosmetics. Looks fine to me -- better than the sage-green...reminiscent of a 1970s Toyata (sans the rust).

Finder.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #45,440 of 100,246
Thanks. Well, although I am not financially involved in this, I certainly am emotionally. The bass on the FR graph reminded me of the Focal Spark, also looking strong on paper but never being overbearing sound wise. Nozzle is long enough for my teutonic ears.

We should not forget, this is not a $200 driver. We had to tickle the best out of what were were given. And I think it will appeal to "audiophiles", too. Reasoning: going back to the Drop JVC HA-FDX1 single DD, two "audiophiles" (shotgunshane, crinacle) chose the bassier tuning filter, I did not. It may come down to tonal accuracy and tonal balance for the "audiophiles", and this earphone delivers. Let's sit back, sip on a glass of Bordeaux, and wait for the feedback.

Salut!

Salut mon pote. I'd be genuinely curious to listen to something you personally 100% tuned tbh. I get your point that everything is a compromise (in a positive way, doing your best given constraints, other ppl taste etc)

Prost

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #45,442 of 100,246
Salut mon pote. I'd be genuinely curious to listen to something you personally 100% tuned tbh. I get your point that everything is a compromise (in a positive way, doing your best given constraints, other ppl taste etc)

Prost
...and I sign off on it that this earphone is excellent. My name will be mud in no time if it wasn't...and nobody will care about my next tuning project anymore. Hey, my name is already mud with the admins and many other bloggers...but for different reasons.

Errr..that faceplate looks better than the rest :gs1000smile:.
On the mockup, it doesn't look like the real thing...in reality is it kinda holographic. Looks actually quite premium.

P.S. One of the reviewers will be my co-blogger Biodegraded. So far, he has never liked any earphone he reviewed. You should check his Sennheier IE 500 Pro review on my blog. I think he reviewed it with an axe. If he signs off on the bass, it will be ok.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #45,443 of 100,246
Seems like 12/12 will be a very interesting day:

Moondrop Starfield and Kbear Diamond, is it?

I'm in a dilemma here... Found hibiscus for U$46, is it worth it? (I already have BL03, tfzKing Pro and a few other DDs, apart from a bunch of hybrids...)

I mean, does it offer something different/unique in terms os signature?

I'm looking for another nice DD for the collection, not sure if should pull the trigger on hibiscus or wait for Stellar/Starfield/Diamond...

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #45,444 of 100,246
???????
Mine looks like this and sounds like this, too. Very bassy -- and aggressive in the midrange fuelled by the upper midrange peaks.

HXkbV84.jpg
@Bui Hai Anh That's not Harman-esque at all, it seems that you don't know that otto's measurement rig is different from an iec711 complaint rig like crin's and this graph suggests that this iem would have shouty mids and quite bassy compared to the cora....just like otto said.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #45,447 of 100,246
Got the FAAEAL Hibiscus a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately QA missed this one. At least I now know that the red version is a metal housing, vs. the clear version's acrylic(?)

One of the better stock cables: a thicker, vinyl wrapped, 4 strand

The 2-pin connection has a tactile snap, on both phones.

The initial sound (with stock grey/orange tips) left a lot to be desired; virtually no bass in them. Also, like most of my collection, the silicone tips didn't get a good perch; they were easy to pull out. Slapped on some RIYO/NewBee foam tips and got some of the missing low end, with a much improved, secured fit. I'll still warm them up for a day or two, before deciding whether I should get a replacement pair or just get a refund.

Faaeal closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #45,448 of 100,246
Got the FAAEAL Hibiscus a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately QA missed this one. At least I now know that the red version is a metal housing, vs. the clear version's acrylic(?)

One of the better stock cables: a thicker, vinyl wrapped, 4 strand

The 2-pin connection has a tactile snap, on both phones.

The initial sound (with stock grey/orange tips) left a lot to be desired; virtually no bass in them. Also, like most of my collection, the silicone tips didn't get a good perch; they were easy to pull out. Slapped on some RIYO/NewBee foam tips and got some of the missing low end, with a much improved, secured fit. I'll still warm them up for a day or two, before deciding whether I should get a replacement pair or just get a refund.

I'm kind of glad with each passing day that my order got cancelled on these. It sounds like it was for the better. No bass, peeling paint, tips that fall off. Hopefully these cases are isolated.

The cable sounds like the best thing about them.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #45,449 of 100,246

I'm in a dilemma here... Found hibiscus for U$46, is it worth it? (I already have BL03, tfzKing Pro and a few other DDs, apart from a bunch of hybrids...)

I'm looking for another nice DD for the collection, not sure if should pull the trigger on hibiscus or wait for Stellar/Starfield/Diamond...
Careful with the Hibiscus: cannot imagine it has a real DLC quality coating at this price.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #45,450 of 100,246

i could be really really wrong, but seeing what you already have, i doubt the hibiscus would bring something new and better compared to your collection. reading reviews on here and my local forums, it seems the sound is just okay for the price at best, and that the selling point would be the cable.. to the point that people literally bought it and selling the cable and IEM separately for profit, or simply just sold the IEM and kept the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back