The discovery thread!
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #44,341 of 100,752
So, I am finally down to either of these choices: Etymotic Research ER4XR and LZ-A6. I understand that the sound signatures of these are dramatically different. However, I can imagine LZ-A6, on the lines of A4, would be at least as much tune-able. Now, the only two criteria are soundstage and detail.

As a suggestion, do consider that BA only or hybrids are susceptible to corrosion and will be heavy maintenance due to climate over here especially if you are investing $300

Oh, that's something I didn't even consider before. Thank you.

I have both. So a quick comparison:
Soundstage: A6 is wider but not tall, like a commodious room with low ceiling, T800 is taller but less wide, like a normal room.
Bass: A6 has slightly less bass quantity than T800, and the bass of A6 is tighter. But T800 has very fun bass.
Mid: T800 is thick and very detailed. A6 is lighter and airier.
Treble: T800 is very detailed and safe. A6 is more extended with occasional harshness. It needs some foams to tame the overeager treble.
Separation: A6 is better than T800
Build quality and package: T800 is miles ahead of A6

All in all, I still can't decide which one is better, they are the King & Queen of my collection now. However, T800 is more suitable for vocals while A6 fares better with instruments.

Thank you so much! Could you compare isolation and fit as well?

Friend if u are looking for a very neutral set for mixing and recording, I can recommend the Audiotechnica M40X headphone. It's the most neutral gear I have heard and I use it for studio monitoring. Isolation is above average as it is a closed back headphone. I find it is so neutral that general music listening is boring with it, but it is perfect for audio work as it really let's you hear what the artiste intended in the music recording.

I mean, I need an IEM which can do a little of both, that's why I am inclined towards ER4XR more than ER4SR and even considering LZ-A6. However, I do agree, M40X are good neutral pair.

i will suggest you to get the new Etymotic Research ER2SE, it is dynamic driver tuned to their standards, a lot less expensive than the ER4 series and it is DD driver, lot more powerful and suited for DSP if you want compared to single BA ER4

That's a real out of the box suggestion. I am considering it now. I wasn't aware that they existed. Thank you @FastAndClean

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #44,342 of 100,752
So, I am finally down to either of these choices: Etymotic Research ER4XR and LZ-A6. I understand that the sound signatures of these are dramatically different. However, I can imagine LZ-A6, on the lines of A4, would be at least as much tune-able. Now, the only two criteria are soundstage and detail.

I mean, I need an IEM which can do a little of both, that's why I am inclined towards ER4XR more than ER4SR and even considering LZ-A6. However, I do agree, M40X are good neutral pair.

That's a real out of the box suggestion. I am considering it now. I wasn't aware that they existed. Thank you @FastAndClean

Another model for you to consider might be the Flare Audio "Flares Pro 2" - there is currently a discount advertised on Facebook with the code F25 which knocks 25% off the price. Neutral but musical, excellent IEM for the price in terms of resolution etc and Congress with a Bluetooth module and standard 3.5mm cable. Cable is proprietary so you can't swap for a balanced one but the Bluetooth module is balanced. Might be worth a look?

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #44,344 of 100,752
I have the Blon BL03 and the Shuoer Tape inbound from amazon.de at present. Should arrive in 5 days or so. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Tin P1 and the Okki OH10, both of which I have in my pocket at present. the Tin P1 is amazing, it's not for every track, and it's very much in your head, but at volume the sound and imaging is amazing to me. Try Adelle's 21 album on it, or even Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor. Mesmerising.

EDIT: I also found 16 core cables (2 pin & CCX with your choice of 2.5/3.5/4.4 plugs) 14 Euro each, on Ebay.de 28 Euro was what I paid for the LinSoul C8 8 core from Amazon.de originally

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #44,346 of 100,752
Highly recommend these foam tips. Not only they have a wider opening ( T400) but they sit a bit longer on earphones too. imo one of the best deals for tips. You get 20 pairs of whatever size your looking for not much money. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32749908913.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_4008647.subject_4

HTB1mqdSasfrK1RjSszcq6xGGFXaz.jpg

Been using these foams more than my symbios and my Spiral dots combined.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #44,347 of 100,752
Hello fellas! I haven't really bought any new iems or headphones in a while (still sticking with the AKG N5005, Sony Z5. UM ME.1 and iSine 20), but I was wondering if anyone else is hearing an upgrade in the new Apple Music player for iMacs? I have my Garage1217 Project Ember tube amp connected to my desktop iMac and my music seems to perform like never before with space, clarity, warmth and a superior wider soundstage. The Senn HD6XX sounds wider with deeper bass and the N5005 have become bass-audiophile giants with this new music player. The sound is better than many DACs/portable amps I've owned. Does anyone else hear this upgrade too?

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #44,348 of 100,752
Oct 17, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #44,349 of 100,752
Any AliExpress link out there for eartips with a longer nozzle? I've read that it's essential if you're buying the Blon BL03 because the nozzle is short.

I'm not a foams person, but a few of us BLON users that use silicone tips find that spinfits (which have a longer nozzle) fit the BLON perfectly. Some headfiers use the spinfit CP145, some the CP100. The CP100 has a narrower bore so it boosts the bass slightly (I'm a basshead, hence I use CP100). YMMV.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #44,350 of 100,752
Highly recommend these foam tips. Not only they have a wider opening ( T400) but they sit a bit longer on earphones too. imo one of the best deals for tips. You get 20 pairs of whatever size your looking for not much money. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32749908913.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_4008647.subject_4

HTB1mqdSasfrK1RjSszcq6xGGFXaz.jpg

Been using these foams more than my symbios and my Spiral dots combined.
So, which ones have the right sized core/center to fit the BL 03? Is it the T400? They look alot like the Newbee foams I currently use on all my iems. Do these also have a smooth outer coating like the Newbees? I like foams more than silicones for isolation, but they have to be comfortable (Complys and Dekoni's are scratchy to me). How's the comfort and are these memory foam? The price is great, but I don't want to spend money on something I won't use. I'd take a multi pac in green if I could, since they would really stick out from my current red tips. Sorry...I know it's alot of questions, but would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Oct 17, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #44,351 of 100,752
So, which ones have the right sized core/center to fit the BL 03? Is it the T400? They look alot like the Newbee foams I currently use on all my iems. Do these also have a smooth outer coating like the Newbees? I like foams more than silicones for isolation, but they have to be comfortable (Complys and Dekoni's are scratchy to me). How's the comfort and are these memory foam? The price is great, but I don't want to spend money on something I won't use. I'd take a multi pac in green if I could, since they would really stick out from my current red tips. Sorry...I know it's alot of questions, but would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Much smoother than comply's. Not as smooth as shure olives tho (my favorite foams).

Size info:
For future reference, the aliexpress foam tips bore sizes.

Listed to fit:
3.0+ mm = T100
4.5+ mm = T200
4.0+ mm = T300
4.9+ mm = T400/500

Actual bore size:
2.7mm = T100
4.3mm = T200
3.6mm = T300
4.6mm = T400/500

Left to right: T100, T200, T300 & T400/500.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #44,353 of 100,752
I Have had my pair of TSMR 2 a few days and I have to say that these are better than other multi Ba based earphones in its price range.

I will be posting a few picture and my initial impression soon.

Oct 18, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #44,354 of 100,752

I think you should look for something like TSMR 4 pro.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #44,355 of 100,752
Have just received the BL03.
First impressions are extremely positive!
Cable is quite simple but usable in my opinion... Tips are crap but the biggest one with wider bore fitted me well, I guess I'm lucky.

Anyway, it's surreal for the price! It's quite neutral and has that nice coherent DD sound, wide soundstage...
Only thing I'd like is a bit more bass, but I think this may improve with better tips... I'll try it with the CP145...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back