The discovery thread!
Oct 24, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #44,371 of 99,787
I have little doubt that it will be a nice sounding IEM. Ibasso makes solid gear for reasonable prices.

Will it be the best of the best? Probably not, but a safe bet for the risk adverse as it's backed by a good brand. I'd pay a little extra for an ibasso product versus other random chifi brands.

Yeah they look like a very reputable brand to me, though as I said I haven't tried their IEMs before, but reviews are quite favourable for their gear. More good quality CHIFI products is good for us consumers and also makes sure the western brands stay on their toes and keep their prices low for us.

Though it is iBasso's first foray into a pure multi BA set. I'll be interested in first adopter reviews on the tuning. It's also good they are using knowles instead of the usual CHIFI bellsings.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #44,372 of 99,787
ibasso IEM normally wont be bad, at least a safe buy but it wont guarantee best sound, safe, good but cant be really great or best. Still have IT01 with me for punchy v shaped iem, pass on IT01s and prefer Kanas Pro instead.
But this one is quite a looker

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #44,373 of 99,787
Another member here posted a picture of the BLON BL-03 with the stock NX7 cable. It does appear that the extra protrusion causes there to be a gap in between the end of the plastic shroud and the earphone housing.

I picked up a balanced NICEHCK cable made for the NX7 for about $30...close but no cigar on the BLON. There's about a 1.5mm-ish gap but I think that's as good as it gets, for now anyway. TFZ also uses the same style connector BTW but they don't seem to sell any cheap balanced cables.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...5d&abbucket=1&sku_properties=122216547:119521

nkHu-KM6_TiE1Px7UhCiO7YmZOYjLV5YBJQRFOXCK3dJ0YF9T2Rs849VwFQtrXag4ZFtDYxhkqhkwHcth3B0c2gJe-buB7Jvk3RZ7-GVlfm05aKu9bnK7632kLciKqOHfd1fe9ZVYIk=w2400

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #44,374 of 99,787
I picked up a balanced NICEHCK cable made for the NX7 for about $30...close but no cigar on the BLON. There's about a 1.5mm-ish gap but I think that's as good as it gets, for now anyway. TFZ also uses the same style connector BTW but they don't seem to sell any cheap balanced cables.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...5d&abbucket=1&sku_properties=122216547:119521

nkHu-KM6_TiE1Px7UhCiO7YmZOYjLV5YBJQRFOXCK3dJ0YF9T2Rs849VwFQtrXag4ZFtDYxhkqhkwHcth3B0c2gJe-buB7Jvk3RZ7-GVlfm05aKu9bnK7632kLciKqOHfd1fe9ZVYIk=w2400

Based on this, I think if anyone was looking to pair the BLON with a BT cable, the TFZ BC-02 would probably be your best bet.

https://penonaudio.com/tfz-bc-02-2pin-bluetooth-cable.html?search=tfz bc-02

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #44,375 of 99,787

It's interesting that there appears to be more connector showing with that cable than with the stock NX7/DB3 cable. I'm the member who posted the original pic btw.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #44,376 of 99,787
I'm ready to talk more on the Shuoer Tape. I think it is an excellent earphone. I think I figured it out during my listening especially low level listening. Think I can hear, in the sound, how it works. The Tape have one of these new combo driver units. Spring 1 and others have the piezo and dynamic in one unit and these have a low volt electrostat and dynamic in one unit.

To my ears, the low volt electrostat is the full range and the dynamic is bass up to the mids and seems to fade fast going into the treble. The dynamic is impressively tight and matches the electro nicely. Esp. in lower level listening I can hear the electro reaching impressively low and lower than it's dynamic can. The dynamic has more strength and power and amount while the "stat" somehow weaves in added textures and nuances and detail. Additive but still cohesive. The stat has impressive ability but would be to tight and clean and light lower in the range on it's own but it still has great realistic sound more like a dynamic and matches better with a dynamic. More power and volume and the dynamic does assert it self more. YMMV with your recipe of gear though to what the bass can combine to hear the two drivers mixing. No matter what, you get quality bass with resolution and at least some quickness. You'll always get a large round stage with the unique overlapping of it's elements. Just the amount of bass can be difference since I hear the dynamic raise and lower with volume and cable change. Can be a bit picky with sources, more unamped than amped, and I have seen some say they are bright but then fixed them up quick with copper cables or more power but they do not need to be amped. Easy to drive but they will be less picky with more power. Ditch the soft tips including the stock as that is not the best choice. I would recommend them fully to everyone in the discovery thread as they will either love them as is or with a quick tweak they will be dialed in since most here will try to perfect everything they try anyhow. That seems to be the only way it goes wrong when it does. Just staying in the right range in between too much bass from the dynamic(which is less likely to occur) or too much in the way of brightness from the stat part since it is clear and somewhat bright to begin with so closer to being pushed with a source that also pushed the high end.

The sound is dual driver done right. This doesn't happen as much as it should esp in Chi-Fi. Quite a few duals sound good but are not truly done right. There is a difference between just tuning well and getting the most benefit of two drivers. The two drivers add to each other while still being wonderfully matched to be coherent. The true benefit of two drivers is to provide sounds and location that the single driver can't and to blend in and weave things together.

Many, many hybrids out in the tape price range also but, more times than not, they are using armatures more to work the detail and extension in the highs. Some tuning to blend the dynamic/armature crossover area and trying to stave off peaks in the armatures up high but not giving a sonic picture the Tape does with the well matched but different drivers revealing more elements and nuance and portraying them distinctly and yet uniquely blended together. I hear the Tape having a spherical stage that is quite large but not really huge as it would be with up and lower L/R corners that are not part of a sphere. Great balance front to back and right to left and up/down being spherical. No inconsistency where obvious differences in width or height or lack of depth will be so apparent and take away from the sound picture.

The Tape does it's blending up into where the lower treble begins. Vocals exhibit the same behavior and it can separate vocals impressively but also put them together next to each other. My last $100-ish single driver, the King III, does have a solid DLC or "diamond" driver and it can separate things out impressively too but it would space out and place vocals differently. More linear and can't fold in on itself for a descriptive term. Just seems more right and real in the presentation the way the Tape does it.

So, they are overlapping more and combining in an excellent way. A way that has always seemed better to me. The Tapes driver have supremely controlled bass and surprising low reach even at low volume. The mids are not the obvious crossover point to my ears and the treble is more integrated into the whole. More coming from the drum kit in the way that sounds more natural and less linear or Bass to Mids to Treble than single drivers do or similarly priced hybrids can. Where, if you have the ears, you can hear the armature and dynamic difference or that the treble is coming from a different area of a single dynamic. Low reaching bass with control, layering, texture, detail, and positioning. if it is there in the bass it will dig it out. groovy bass guitar riffs, sub kicks, speedy snare hits. Mids are rich yet still clean and tight and yet vocals separated like nuts are not improperly placed or oddly far apart. Treble that is sparkly and clean and quick but more of a dynamic/stat style that many like more than the armature type. A notch above what we hear in the $129 range where it is far from perfect and there is usually at least a little something off that we can pick at but may not given the expectations at the price. That treble is more incorporated in the whole instead of stretching out in that linear way but still shines bright after the dynamic portion dives off.

Again, I think this is one everyone should get. Fun, even if you have to dial it in a bit to be just right. Engaging, great technical ability, and higher on the scale of a real sonic picture and less the linear left to right kind of soundscape. A great low listening earphone as well giving you a little bedtime stat sound. For me comfy and nicely shaped and I have actually stuck with the straight down wearing style. A more real speaker like sound blending very competent combo driver that presents in a natural and engaging way. Crossing over to having the personality and" it" factor when others just don't have that but sound like they are trying to combine drivers and get things right but don't go that next step and have anything unique or special and blend into the crowded Chi-Fi scene. The Tape is a bit understated with it's industrial/retro look but where it can stand out is with it's sound.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-25_18-54-40.png
    upload_2019-10-25_18-54-40.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-10-26_13-18-47.png
    upload_2019-10-26_13-18-47.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #44,378 of 99,787
Oct 28, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #44,379 of 99,787
So everything arrives. And the fight begins.

The Tribrid Tribe: NiceHCK F3 - BQEYZ Spring1 - LZ A6 - NiceHCK NX7 - ... ****
The DD Division: Semkarch CNT-1 - Sennheiser IE40 Pro - Blon BL-03 - I-INTO i8 - UiiSii CM5 - Hifi-BCD X10 - MH755 (in my pocket, forgot to put out)
The Hybrid Horde: Hisenior H6 - Ren Teng IX-12 - TRN V90 - KBEAR Hi7 - UiiSii BA-T9
The BA Baron: Audiosense T800

Many have left the battlefield, among those: N5005, LZ A5, IT04, TRN IM1 Pro - IM2 - V20 - X6, Kinera SIF, ZS6 - ZS7 - ZS10 Pro - ZSX, BQEYZ KC2, NiceHCK N3, Tin T3, Kanas Pro, Meizu Live, CCA C16, DM6.

I'm in Chi-Fi heaven now.

Hey man
And what are the winners in every category for you and maybe the king of all? 11.11 is coming=)

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #44,380 of 99,787
Would be interesting to compare the performance of this to the ADV Nismo Jr. since both claim high precision imaging and spatial accuracy for music and gaming.

Yeah, definitely interested in these if they are pretty neutral like the E1000's. For $21 shipped with 5 pairs of tips, seems worth the experiment?

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #44,382 of 99,787
No thanks on the T4. Ultra unique design? Same old Tin HiFi design slightly changed. Okay fit and okay looks. CNT, been there done that as well.

They use the housing they know so not much R&D as if they went with another style but yet they have been inching along. You know it well enough so this T4 needs to be a bigger step up soundwise. If T4 is to T3 as T3 is to the T2 then they aren't quite keeping up with the Chi-Fi Jones'. :) Annnd, they talk about the design more than the sound which is not a good sign.

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #44,383 of 99,787
No thanks on the T4. Ultra unique design? Same old Tin HiFi design slightly changed. Okay fit and okay looks. CNT, been there done that as well.

They use the housing they know so not much R&D as if they went with another style but yet they have been inching along. You know it well enough so this T4 needs to be a bigger step up soundwise. If T4 is to T3 as T3 is to the T2 then they aren't quite keeping up with the Chi-Fi Jones'. :) Annnd, they talk about the design more than the sound which is not a good sign.
I've tried the T2, T3 & the P1. Took me a while, to realize that I'm not the Tin HiFi target audience.

Even if the T4 is more like the Blon BL-03 or the Kanas line, I've already got those, so no need to replicate.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #44,384 of 99,787
Oct 28, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #44,385 of 99,787

Users who are viewing this thread

Back