The discovery thread!
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #38,266 of 101,457
It was funny that at the Jerry Harvey table felt a bit threatened by me having my 12 Driver BA iem slung around my shoulders. Lol.

Your right I wasn't actually able to campare carefully with both the U12 and the DZ12 but I mean it costs amost 3X the DZ12 it has to have better detail right? Lol. Audio shows are great to get a good idea but by no means should people take the short sample impressions as the rule. However

I definitely learned that a lot of the higher end stuff especially Audio 64 stuff in general was more than a bit overpriced. I mean $3,500 for their Tia Fourte? Really? Sonys new IER-Z1R is worth the cash. Not so much the Audio 64 stuff.

What I did get out of it is that my Andro S performed so damn well. It was a no brainer comming away with one.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #38,269 of 101,457
Oh man like you aint kidding. Those things sound like floor speakers and this is single ended out of my lowly shanling M3s. If it sounds this great out of my player. I can't imagine how those sound balanced with a higher end amp and cables. Magic just Magic. guys on the Audio 64 floor was curious about them as I was decribing the sound of them.

Their M9 5BA earphones are excellent as well. Sounded like a more refined stock Andromeda to my ears. Don't know if it is worth the extra $400 over the stock Andromeda however.

At a $1000 less than their Tia Fourte. Give me the IER-Z1R all day long.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #38,270 of 101,457
Thanks for that.. how do you compare the sound stage on both?

I would describe the sound stage of the Andromeda S being large. Meaning it has good width with a very deep sound. The IT04s are wider than deep so traditional wider stage for earphones.

Due to the type of tuning both have they present stage in a different maner. Andro S the imaging pops like crazy due to the high resolution of the earphones signature. It is more of a surround type stage very layered in the sound deep as it is wide.

The IT04 has that to a certain degree but the mids are not really the focus of the IT04 it is their wide presentation and even balanced tone from treble to bass that is the presentation.

AndroS on the same exact track will feel like your immersed in the tune due to the definition and imaging. The IT04 feels like your hearing the tune. This is what I mean by different way the stage is presented.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #38,271 of 101,457
I feel the original Andros due to the slight mids recession on them are similar to the stage representation to the IT04. But not so much the Andro S. Ken Ball is brilliant. Guy took an objective look at the only aspect the original Andros could improve uppon and created an updated S version with new mids driver that fixes the only part of the sound he felt needed a bit of a tweek. But due to the mids having a bit more prominence the stage suffers a touch. A great trade off. Imo

Also there is a difference in treble vs the S version. 2 things the mids having a bit more emphasis but aslo due to the housing. The older Green has an aluminum housing and the new S version stainless steel. I have noticed in previous earphones from AT like the CKR9 which use aluminum vs CRK10 which use titanium metal housing. Treble is more accurate on the CKR10 vs the brighter extra shimmer of the CKR9. This is the same way on the stock andros vs the S. I noticed the shimmer is a bit reduced on the S. This by no means is saying it has less treble. It seems more accurate to my ears with less coloration in the treble. S version to my ears was definitley more refined to me than the stock. Guys may prefer that fun stock tuning but beyond the looks the S won it for me.

I did a head to head against the older Green Andros which was at the show and It seemed the S version images better than the older Green. Not a 100% sure but it was another reason why I went with the S version. These have the perfect balance of technical, extremely well refined from top to bottom with a low end to die for. It is one of the most complete balanced sounding emmersive musical experiences that I didn't think a lot of the 2K-3K earphones got right. Andromeda S is for real.

I had a few guys ask me in a PM about them. All I can say is. I would snap one up before they are done. Remember there are only 2K in existance. Each one is numbered.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #38,272 of 101,457
Wow my previous post just made me realize just how close the sound description is from ATs CKR9 to the CKR10 vs Andro stock vs Andro S. Similar sound changes. But the only difference. Ken is not charging an extra 1,000 for the tweeks. Same price as the stock version.

AT would in a heart beat.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #38,273 of 101,457
Any listening impressions?

The bass region on your measurements looks really steep and elevated compared to my MiniDSP EARS data and the BGVP promotional data. 1KHz and above look pretty similar to mine data though.

You will have the dm6 for review ?

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #38,274 of 101,457
I’ll update listening impressions back in my ranking thread when I get something I feel comfortable posting about.

The differences could be technique, equipment or unit variances. I’m rather confident in my data; the ER4 measures flat from mids to bass on my rig, for instance. It also sounds really bassy so at least my own subjective impressions line up with what’s on the graph.

I hope you didnt take offense to my statement. It wasn't mean to be. I am very fond of your measurements and am really grateful that you have compiled it for all of us to view. I was just stating that it looked a little bassier than what I hear (now) and what I've measured on my own. I did notice that the DMG was bassy right off the bat for me with the stock tips but I am using a different set of tips now and I dont know how big of a role that made. I'm using Symbio-W now.

You will have the dm6 for review ?

I am planning to get a pair to review in the near future.

I just got the Liquid Spark. It's a warm yet clean new headphone amp that's quite small. Sounds pretty good with the DMG.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #38,275 of 101,457
Got my cheapie cables today. No real issues except one socket of my Finschi wasn't as deep as the other and the Kinboofi has longer plastic near the pins than the stock cable does but a quick trim with a blade fixed that up...

After I heard some of the reviews talk of higher volume from it I knew it was a lower impedance cable similar to the stock cable so that worked out well to preserve that. They are more stealth looking taking the extra gold connectors the stock has away. Indeed a better looking cable matching the glossier shells with a glossier cable instead of the flat drier, harder sheath of the stock. Had no issues with the stock cable but straight plug this time, no ear guide portion which is fine for the glasses wearers and the sheathing is both softer to the touch and less microphonic. As solid as those who mentioned having them had said. A handsome choice in the black for the Finschi.

FiiO is a good one as well. The improved 40cm replacing the older 60cm model has tight fitting connectors, is light, and a great length for those chest pockets, wearing your BT amp or player clipped to a shirt or jacket or wearing necklace style...

Both cheap but good and perform the intended jobs of short cable use or the Oriolus fit can get even easier w/o formed guides there and microphonics minimized.

I'll quote myself and update with an update of what I think after hearing the two new cables for a while.

The PT 25 is a pretty excellent earbud. Worth the $35 it costs maybe even w/o a cable but it does come with one. The stock cable is unruly and likes to curl up, the Y is down to my belly button, and it has no slider. Plugged it into some other earphones like the CNT1 and all the low bass went away. The FiiO cable both sounds as it should and is much better behaving. Sounds good on my other stuff. ClieOS uses them on an Ety. The Fiio is solid all around.

The other cable I am giving a chance and giving it some burn in. Can't hurt but if it doesn't help I'll keep using the stock cable. As of now to my still Golden ears hears the Oriolus drop back vs. the stock cable. A bit smaller, duller, less crisp from lows to highs. I hear the stock cables microphonics more now(w/o anything playing though) but the fit isn't any better between the two AFAIC. Maybe a bit less bass and treble with the Kinboofi. A slightly slower, softer noted, more polite bass and highs is just not the direction I want to take them. Sounds like the Finchi just got up and haven't had their coffee yet:) I like them with a bit more focus, power, energy, and the extra bit of detail I hear with the stock cable.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #38,276 of 101,457
I hope you didnt take offense to my statement. It wasn't mean to be. I am very fond of your measurements and am really grateful that you have compiled it for all of us to view. I was just stating that it looked a little bassier than what I hear (now) and what I've measured on my own. I did notice that the DMG was bassy right off the bat for me with the stock tips but I am using a different set of tips now and I dont know how big of a role that made. I'm using Symbio-W now.

I am planning to get a pair to review in the near future.

I just got the Liquid Spark. It's a warm yet clean new headphone amp that's quite small. Sounds pretty good with the DMG.

I am considering the liquid spark! I was going go get the topping a30 to pair with my upcoming he4xx and then saw the liquid spark. I am intrigued and i am going to think about it. The liquid spark have the OI of 0,1 ohm right ? Some said they sound abover their price, others said they are similar to schiit magni 3...

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #38,277 of 101,457
I am considering the liquid spark! I was going go get the topping a30 to pair with my upcoming he4xx and then saw the liquid spark. I am intrigued and i am going to think about it. The liquid spark have the OI of 0,1 ohm right ? Some said they sound abover their price, others said they are similar to schiit magni 3...

Since this is sort of OT, I'll keep it short - I had the Magni 2 (not 3) and from memory, I think the Spark has similar warmth to it but better detail. I prefer my Topping DX7 over the Spark so far, but the Spark is perfect for me to use at work. Very small and can carry around if I need to -- similarly sized to Magni.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #38,279 of 101,457
Dsnuts, first of all, thank you for the coverage, interesting stuff! I've never considered a 1000$ IEM before but your posts made me think. Right now I am on the fence between iBasso IT04 and NiceHCK NK10. I think I prefer NK10 for its sound signature. I've noticed that you've owned them. Can you give your impressions on how they compare to the Andromeda S?

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #38,280 of 101,457
I have ordered BGVP DM6 and also ordered Tenhz Audio P4 Pro :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back