The discovery thread!
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #38,281 of 103,683
Hey Guys! Off topic but i think you can help with a simple answer or links.

I have my eyes on the topping a30 amplifier to drive my future full size can, will have a toppinf d10 dac paired and that should be my final setup.
The downside is, the topping has a 10ohm output impedance on 6,35mm jack. Not ideal for iems, but the 3,5mm jack has even greater 30ohm output impedance! so they can provide less power for iems, but even then, this high output is not suitable for iems, and should change the signature AFAIK. My wish is that the desktop setup would have the ability to drive my full size can and also my iems.

So, my thought to solve this was: As the amp has PLENTY of power, use this kind of adapter(link) to prevent any changes in signature. Does it work ? if so, the 200ohm adapter should do the job right ?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Earp...ancelling-adapter-3-5mm-Jack/32828069770.html.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #38,282 of 103,683
deleted

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #38,283 of 103,683
Dsnuts, first of all, thank you for the coverage, interesting stuff! I've never considered a 1000$ IEM before but your posts made me think. Right now I am on the fence between iBasso IT04 and NiceHCK NK10. I think I prefer NK10 for its sound signature. I've noticed that you've owned them. Can you give your impressions on how they compare to the Andromeda S?
@Dsnuts, When you have time and have had some time with the Finschi please throw in a few comments how you feel about them, not necessarily compared to the Andromeda but in general terms. Thank you

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #38,284 of 103,683

I have my eyes on the topping a30 amplifier to drive my future full size can, will have a toppinf d10 dac paired and that should be my final setup.
The downside is, the topping has a 10ohm output impedance on 6,35mm jack. Not ideal for iems, but the 3,5mm jack has even greater 30ohm output impedance! so they can provide less power for iems, but even then, this high output is not suitable for iems, and should change the signature AFAIK. My wish is that the desktop setup would have the ability to drive my full size can and also my iems.

So, my thought to solve this was: As the amp has PLENTY of power, use this kind of adapter(link) to prevent any changes in signature. Does it work ? if so, the 200ohm adapter should do the job right ?

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Earp...ancelling-adapter-3-5mm-Jack/32828069770.html.

Thanks in advance.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/iematch/

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #38,285 of 103,683
any opinions on best iem under or around 1000? considering the DM6, the Bella and now the NK10. pretty much looking for the typical crowd pleaser signature, either v shaped or U. emphasis on sub bass and soundstage

thanks so much guys :)

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #38,286 of 103,683
any opinions on best iem under or around 1000? considering the DM6, the Bella and now the NK10. pretty much looking for the typical crowd pleaser signature, either v shaped or U. emphasis on sub bass and soundstage

thanks so much guys :)
IE800S and ZX300 is a match made in heaven imo.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #38,287 of 103,683
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #38,288 of 103,683
Another Caution about using " Hotfi " at Aliexpress.
My experience:
1) Ordered an IEM. August 27
2) 3 Weeks later tracking still said "Temporarily Unavailable" as it has since it "shipped". Sent Seller a message on Aliexpress - NO REPLY.
3) 2 Days later sent another message. . NO REPLY from Seller.
4) @ 4 weeks sent another message to Seller. NO Reply. Tracking still "Temporarily Unavailable".
5) @ 5 weeks, sent another message to Seller. No Reply from seller. Tracking still "Temporarily Unavailable".
6) 2 days later filled a dispute with Aliexpress. Asked for refund. SELLER NEVER replied
7) Today, October 10th, Aliexpress closed dispute in my favor. Awaiting refund. Seller still never replied to me or to Aliexpress.

I will continue to buy from Aliexpress; But I will never order from Hotfi again.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #38,289 of 103,683

Thanks in advance.
IMHO. Would never buy an amp with that high an output impedance. But, may be Ok if only being used with Greater than 300 OHM headphones. I got a Topping NX4 DSD that has low output impedance, is portable with battery, has lots of power, and sounds good. They also make a version without the DAC, so just an amp called just NX4. (without the DSD).

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #38,290 of 103,683
Dsnuts, first of all, thank you for the coverage, interesting stuff! I've never considered a 1000$ IEM before but your posts made me think. Right now I am on the fence between iBasso IT04 and NiceHCK NK10. I think I prefer NK10 for its sound signature. I've noticed that you've owned them. Can you give your impressions on how they compare to the Andromeda S?

First of all. Give me your idea of what you would like in a sound. What is your sound peference. I am writing a review on the NK10 and I actually have them in my ears as I am typing now.

NK10 is a solid earphone and will most definitely give anyone that buys one a glimps into higher end sound. It does a whole bunch of things right and is actually an excellent value. Not many $300 level earphones using 10BAs with 3 crossovers. This is one earphone to look out for during Aliexpress 11/11 sales. This being said.

Both the IT04 and especially the Andro S is playing at a different level in performance. But the reason why I ask what your sound preference is. If you lets say never heard or owned a higher end offering. Ya the NK10 will be more awesome for the money you will spend. But if you are looking for more than just a taste and actually want to own a higher end sounding earphone. Both the IT04 and Andro S will do that.

But again it comes down to what your looking for in a sound. If your musical taste is exclectic like my own all 3 are viable options and it also comes down to what you can really afford.

The one issue with the NK10 is the sonics are limited due to the cable it comes with. NiceHCK does an awesome job with bang for buck earphones but accessories wise.. They get a D grade. The NK10 has a slight warmer hue to the sound due to the gimpy copper cable they threw in there. This might be good if that is what you want. What the earphone really needed was a silver coated copper cable. The other guys. :Aham Other guys." Actually include a SPC cable on their version of the NK10 called the HQ10 ( looks better too imo). Look that up. That is the one I would go for since those guys actually thought over which cable will actually mesh better with the sonic abilities of these iems. ( Remember they are both made by the same OEM so basically same earphone with a littie sound tweek based on what the middle man wants.)

Anyway I actually bought a pure silver 2 pin cable for the NK10. With silver cable I can honestly say the NK10 sounds superb. Absolutely fantastic. I had to put the brown copper cable back on there due to my review. I guess if your not as OCD on proper sound matching with cables and tips as I am. Stock stuff is excellent for the price. They actually included some tips that work on them too.

IT04 is a fanstastic sounding high level earphone that also punches way above their price paid. I thought the IT04 sonics hung in there with a lot of the higher end earphones I heard at Can Jam. Many did a few things better than the IT04 but it wasn't like your getting $1,500 worth of upgrades in sonics over them. But these are more closer to a reference type tuning meaning they went for a mroe neutral type tuning but has outstanding dynamics and resolution due to the high end BAs and Graphene dynamic they are using. One of the widest sounding earphones too. High level of detail.

The Andro S is an absolute steal at the price they are asking for them. In comparison to the NK10. While NK10 will give you a glimps into higher end sound. The Andro S actually should be the standard IMO. And for many the andros are. I can easily see how many will call the Andromedas their end game.

I would go for what your wallet allows. I think with all 3 you will be very happy with their sonics.

And remember the NK10 out of the box can and does go up a notch or two in sonics with a better cable. But with better cable yoru getting closer to the price of the IT04. something to consider.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #38,291 of 103,683

Thanks in advance.

I use the iFi Ear Buddy for 3.5mm and the IEMatch for 2.5mm connection in that situation. One of my amps is 10 Ohm and 20 Ohm (single/balanced) so its very useful for IEM use.

I haven’t not used one of those before. I imagine it may help.

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #38,292 of 103,683
Looks like BGVP DM6 is on Massdrop for $165. Hmmm, tempting...

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #38,293 of 103,683
@Dsnuts, When you have time and have had some time with the Finschi please throw in a few comments how you feel about them, not necessarily compared to the Andromeda but in general terms. Thank you
He did this a few pages back. This thread moves so fast that it might take a little searching.

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #38,294 of 103,683
A lot of the earphones if not all we highlight on this thread are great for the price but Finschi is not at the same level as the Andromeda S.

That saying ignorance is bliss. This is a wise statement. Guys are always looking for value in an iem. "Is this better, is that better than this?" I get that but there are limitations to how an excellent sounding $180 iem sounds in comparisons to much higher end offerings.

Each earphone has to be taken for what they are and how they sound which is the most important aspect for if we want to buy certain iems or not. Read about the sonic qualities of an iem and go for it if it matches your sonic preferences. This is the best advice I can give anyone. There is always better and always newer earphones that will tempt you. But if your happy with what you got. This is a great place to be in your audio game.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #38,295 of 103,683
accessory jack is listing the IER-Z1R at 1700 USD thats a really *&^%ing good price given the glowing impressions so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back