The discovery thread!
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #37,936 of 100,472
Love the AK sound. Shanling seems to bring out the best in whatever chips they implement , AK4493 being new to the market. No one has heard these chips so this will be interesting. Love that new touch interface too.
I think the AK sound is my favorite. The ES100 implements them perfectly. They make the HD 58X sound incredible.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #37,937 of 100,472
Touch interface looks very good on the M5s (the M0's one is quite good, already, and a bigger screen should make things a lot easier). Only thing I'm a bit less than totally convinced about is that Shanling said the M5s should be a touch on the warm side, in tonality. Both the M3s and M0, which I both like a lot, are definitely not... and I think I'd prefer it if the M5s were similar to those (just better :) ) , rather than have a different character .

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #37,938 of 100,472
I'm more excited by the m5s than any headphone, earphone or earbud right now

Been using the m0 over my hiby r6 recently and it really is a decent player. Just hope they have podcast/audiobook support from the off and I'm in. The other one I'm liking the look of is the "budget" Fiio m9.

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #37,940 of 100,472
Ive ordered the bgvp dmg, from Amazon, but looks like it'll be a month to wait (i just had to have the blue). Ive been out of IEMs for awhile, enjoying my P1s. Can anyone give comparisons? I know its a lot different, tuning-wise. I do generally like accurate yet fun sound. As long as its resolving enough and the bass isnt muddy, i like some kick and sizzle...Been avoiding multiple BA units mostly since they seem quite large and uncomfortable. Haven't heard one since UE TripleFi, which i liked soundwise, but was so uncomfortable for me. Will the bmg be more comfortable, easier on the ear? Any more sound signature observations or comparisons? Thanks.

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #37,941 of 100,472
NiceHCK EP35 reviewed: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-ep35.23315/reviews#review-20911

ep35.jpg

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #37,943 of 100,472
Ive ordered the bgvp dmg, from Amazon, but looks like it'll be a month to wait (i just had to have the blue). Ive been out of IEMs for awhile, enjoying my P1s. Can anyone give comparisons? I know its a lot different, tuning-wise. I do generally like accurate yet fun sound. As long as its resolving enough and the bass isnt muddy, i like some kick and sizzle...Been avoiding multiple BA units mostly since they seem quite large and uncomfortable. Haven't heard one since UE TripleFi, which i liked soundwise, but was so uncomfortable for me. Will the bmg be more comfortable, easier on the ear? Any more sound signature observations or comparisons? Thanks.

You definitely picked the right earphones. You want kick n sizzle. Your gonna get kick n sizzle. I own the PX which is the Massdrop verison of the P1. Same earphones different color. What your gonna get in the DMG vs the P1 is a upgrade in dynamics. The P1 has a good neutral tuned sound to them and the bass end is good but a bit reserved especially in the subbass range. DMG has a full bass end so your gonna have to get used to having that bass come to life when called for. The bass can actually be tuned to your liking based on filter and tips used. Again generally wider the tip the more balanced the bass end to treble will become.Overall the bass will have greater impact and will most definitely be deeper reaching vs the P1. Your gonna hear bass dynamics the P1 is just simply not capable of. Vocal clarity will be some what of a wash but I want to say the DMG will have an advantage of better instrument separation. Better layering of your music. Clarity can be tuned to your liking on the DMG. Based on how much bass you prefer. More bass and the DMG introduces warmth to the sound. Less bass and you get something similar to the P1 in tonality. You can go from a clear cleaner signature to a warmer fuller bodied signature. As crazy as that sounds.

I would listen to the stock filter first or the nozzle it comes with. This will give you a good understanding of how the DMGs are tuned. Then you can mess around with filters, tips, cables. As far as fit goes. If you can fit the P1 into your ear. Your not gonna have any issue fitting the DMG into your ear. The DMGs are more comfortable believe it or not. The shell design is fantastic.

The DMG will introduce a different level of dimensions to your music that while the P1 has but DMG will just do it better. I think the P1 is one of the best neutrally tuned earphones in the market. I keep them around to listen to once in a while but. Now your gonna introduce more dynamics to that spacious sound and that in turn makes them a blast to listen to.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #37,944 of 100,472
I think I am good on new phones for now. I do want to save up, possibly sell a few things for the Shanling M5s. That dap got my name written all over it. I have been using my Shanling M3s pretty much regularly since getting it so I have some high expectations of the M5s.

Yeah, although both are nice sounding too, I might put the FH5 and LZ A5 up for sale. Usually, I have some guys at my job who ask to give them the option to buy first. They love my audio choices. lol

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #37,947 of 100,472

Nice review for this one

He doesn't seem to know what exactly he is talking. Whats up with those people who seems to not know audio doing reviews ? Nice production tho.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #37,950 of 100,472
You definitely picked the right earphones. You want kick n sizzle. Your gonna get kick n sizzle. I own the PX which is the Massdrop verison of the P1. Same earphones different color. What your gonna get in the DMG vs the P1 is a upgrade in dynamics. The P1 has a good neutral tuned sound to them and the bass end is good but a bit reserved especially in the subbass range. DMG has a full bass end so your gonna have to get used to having that bass come to life when called for. The bass can actually be tuned to your liking based on filter and tips used. Again generally wider the tip the more balanced the bass end to treble will become.Overall the bass will have greater impact and will most definitely be deeper reaching vs the P1. Your gonna hear bass dynamics the P1 is just simply not capable of. Vocal clarity will be some what of a wash but I want to say the DMG will have an advantage of better instrument separation. Better layering of your music. Clarity can be tuned to your liking on the DMG. Based on how much bass you prefer. More bass and the DMG introduces warmth to the sound. Less bass and you get something similar to the P1 in tonality. You can go from a clear cleaner signature to a warmer fuller bodied signature. As crazy as that sounds.

I would listen to the stock filter first or the nozzle it comes with. This will give you a good understanding of how the DMGs are tuned. Then you can mess around with filters, tips, cables. As far as fit goes. If you can fit the P1 into your ear. Your not gonna have any issue fitting the DMG into your ear. The DMGs are more comfortable believe it or not. The shell design is fantastic.

The DMG will introduce a different level of dimensions to your music that while the P1 has but DMG will just do it better. I think the P1 is one of the best neutrally tuned earphones in the market. I keep them around to listen to once in a while but. Now your gonna introduce more dynamics to that spacious sound and that in turn makes them a blast to listen to.
Dsnuts, THANKS so much for your reply!
Just what i wanted to hear [pun intended] :wink:
Read through the whole thread, your impressions and every review so far... Think i will like the sound. Was fearful of fitment, so really glad to hear about that. P1 fits my ears very well, and i thought DMG had a nice mold from the photos, so looking forward to many hours of listening. Some of these newer IEMs shape just look painful though. :)
The blue looks so nice, but it will take longer to get to me apparently. I like that DMG is logo free and plainer looking though. Guess they couldn't fit the whole alphabet on them though. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back