The discovery thread!
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #37,577 of 99,821
m

Then please cut-to-the-chase by enlightening me and @Sound Eq what those IEMs are.

Off the top of my head, Fiio FH5, LZ A5, Ibasso IT03, IT04, HK6, Toneking T66s, T88k, DZ12 etc

I'm sure there's many more that I forgot that were discussed here

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #37,578 of 99,821
IBasso IT04. NiceHCK DZ12. Just got the NiceHCK NK10. NK10 has a different version by the way. If you guys know what I mean. Seems whatever NiceHCK gets there is an alternate version.

IBasso IT04 is worth every cent paid for a pair if you guys want to try the best of what Chifi has to offer. IBasso is a Shenzhen company by the way. Same area where a lot of great audio goods come out of China.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #37,579 of 99,821
So I didn't go hog wild on recent Aliexpress sales. I did manage to get a new silver 2 pin cable for the NK10 and I had about 3 new earphones in my check out list before I came to my senses and removed them all. Lol.

Including this one.
HTB1Ha8KJN9YBuNjy0Ffq6xIsVXad.jpg

Newer 12BA iem for $360ish cant get over the name of these things. But if these things are tuned decently. These have the potential to be crazy bang for buck iems. I know there is a 10BA+ Dynamic verison of these but this one seems newer. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.4.5a0ec75euugLPs

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #37,580 of 99,821
So I didn't go hog wild on recent Aliexpress sales. I did manage to get a new silver 2 pin cable for the NK10 and I had about 3 new earphones in my check out list before I came to my senses and removed them all. Lol.

Including this one.
HTB1Ha8KJN9YBuNjy0Ffq6xIsVXad.jpg

Newer 12BA iem for $360ish cant get over the name of these things. But if these things are tuned decently. These have the potential to be crazy bang for buck iems. I know there is a 10BA+ Dynamic verison of these but this one seems newer. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.4.5a0ec75euugLPs

as I've always love to point out (pretty sure some are sick of this, lol), this is the Skald S12, retailing for usd$250 (rmb1699) there. Impressions on the link too, if you can read chinese or google translate to decipher. I do wish the Ali sellers starts using the real product and company name for some of the stuff they're selling (easier for people to refer to them), but that seems like a pipe dream.

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #37,581 of 99,821
Not sure how much value one gets with a multi driver chifi earphone when they do not list the types of drivers. Cheap off the shelf drivers, even when there are a dozen of them, may not make the best listening experience.
That is why I love companies like iBasso, they go out of the way to use quality parts.

I did buy a couple of earphones, as if I don't have enough already. The Hisenior B5 and the ToneKing T88K were ordered. Both seemed to be made with quality drivers and received overall great reviews from those who heard them (or like products from the same company).

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #37,584 of 99,821
m

Then please cut-to-the-chase by enlightening me and @Sound Eq what those IEMs are.

Or you could just read up in this thread and start walking around in the dark woods of Aliexpress to find out for yourself....

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #37,585 of 99,821
BGVP DMG. Impressionssss.

So far, in addition to the one someone else posted, I only found a second set of impressions written in Chinese. Long story short, I'd take the impressions with a grain of salt because IMO the person has no idea what he's talking about, but the person remarked that the DMG was much better than the DM5 in bass and vocals, but that the DMG is far worse than both the SE846 and the E5c. I don't find these impressions helpful.

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #37,586 of 99,821
Received the Hisenior B5+ just a few minutes ago.

Only by these few minutes and listening time this seams to be THE REAL DEAL!

What a price performance ratio.

While I couldn't share the joy with the Toneking TK2 which HungryPanda does I fully in line with him with the Hinsenior B5+

This could even replace my Rose Mini4 I have the early feeling.

Very first impression:
well balanced out, no really peaks, a fair compromise between analytical and musical, nice sparkle in the treble but no way fatiguing. I can use the stock cable and silicone tips and this arrangement sounds good. No need to tame down something with foam tips. It's like the Toneking T4 but with a tad more musicality. I enjoy and let you know more once I have more listening time. So far, I am impressed! And this for the price is me worth a "wow!" and lets me thinking over what the more expensive Hisenior models might reproduce of my music collection. Cannot even imagine….

My doubt is the bass. I like to have a good presence of sub bass and a small north to neutral bass and mid bass on my iems. Not a fan of bass roll off. How do these iems go ?

For example. The re-400 is almost flat on bass. Only a tiny bit north of neutral, but they never roll off. I love that way.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #37,587 of 99,821
My doubt is the bass. I like to have a good presence of sub bass and a small north to neutral bass and mid bass on my iems. Not a fan of bass roll off. How do these iems go ?

For example. The re-400 is almost flat on bass. Only a tiny bit north of neutral, but they never roll off. I love that way.
How do the re-400 compare with your tin audio T2?

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #37,588 of 99,821
The Hisenior B5+ will give plenty bass when asked for, just put on tips that are not really wide in the bore.

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #37,589 of 99,821
Personally, after iems like the Magaosi k3pro and even the rhythmos sd7 plus, I an getting less and less interested in the multi-driver chi-fi being released on a daily basis. At least before they used to be super cheap like the kz stuff. Nowadays, there are so many $300+ offerings, which boast a great number of drivers, but it's literally a gamble with money that can get you great gear from a lot more renowned brands that do know their stuff and provide consistent quality. The became pretty clear after all the fuss around iems like the HK6.

For me looking for chi-fi gems used to be fun to a point, but even when it's cheap you end up with a lot of junk and the cost adds up. Looking for gems among $200-300+ chi-fi is pure madness unless you're reviewer getting the stuff for free. I'm not saying there can't be any true gems among the rubble, but it's a lot riskier.

On that note, crinacle did mention recently that he was very impressed with the Moondrop Blessing, if someone else wants to jump in on that train :deadhorse:

Also, as I occasionally check in on the Vsonic's affairs to see updates on the new products scheduled for a November release

68cf2617gy1fujxf9o02vj23uw265qg4.jpg

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #37,590 of 99,821
How do the re-400 compare with your tin audio T2?

The hifiman for me is still some kind of Benchmark till this day. One of the most balanced iems on my collection. Have absolutely no huge flaw. That's why they were the budget iem recommended by Tyll hertsens till his retirement.

They share with the t2 the references of somewhat neutral benchmark of my collection, the timbre of both is equaly good and was a huge step for me that came from cheap chi-fi . The differences: The re-400 has more punch in bass, less upper treble, slight roll off in highs. The re-400 have more thick mids, having kind of a inverted u shaped sound. The mids on t2 are a little more thin together with the brigher and sparkler presentation. The t2 has too much of a bass roll off, it is too weak for my ideal taste, but it is part of what makes this iem special. The re-400 is still kinda neutral but never rolls off... Check innerfidelity graph. The stage on t2 is huge and airyer, but with the price of the upper mids being the center of the show, it can be little more tiring than T2. The stage on re 400 is smaller, heavier and with a little more depth because of the tighter and more depper bass. The bass on hifiman share the fast decay and great texture of tin audio.

Overall i find the two similar, one is way more musical, and incapable of being tiring. Neutral-warm. The hifiman. The other, analitycal, thinner, more detayled. The tin audio.

The hifiman can be a way more universal iem, but the tin audio can be unbeateable if you are going to listen for a fast jazz track like Dave brubeck for example.

Construction wise. T2 hands down. Last note, the good fit is important to get a amazing isolation and sound from re 400. The t2 fit and isolation is'nt top notch.

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back