The discovery thread!
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #37,336 of 101,276
So I am in a tip buying mood. Just bought some of these as well. These are spin fit tips. The widest bored tip I have ever seen at 5.5mm. Wider than the spiral dots. Should make for some interesting tip modding potential.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RF1YLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

616HuCBV4-L._SL1500_.jpg

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #37,337 of 101,276
So I am in a tip buying mood. Just bought some of these as well. These are spin fit tips. The widest bored tip I have ever seen at 5.5mm. Wider than the spiral dots. Should make for some interesting tip modding potential.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RF1YLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KZ Turbos/Whirlwinds have a 6mm bore. Of course, I haven't found anything yet where they actually sounded good, but they're wide as hell...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TEN...d-ear-tip-earphone-accessory/32808506339.html

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #37,338 of 101,276
I have found the Radio Shack Auvio tips are very good, got some sent from the US. I am preferring them to KZ starlines now

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #37,339 of 101,276
KZ Turbos/Whirlwinds have a 6mm bore. Of course, I haven't found anything yet where they actually sounded good, but they're wide as hell...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TEN...d-ear-tip-earphone-accessory/32808506339.html

I got these. The issue with these tips. They would work fine if the stem of the tips were longer than the height of the tips but they are actually recessed. The stem being so short they don't end up actually working well for anything minus the KZ earphones they were made for. They end up not working well due to the them sitting so close to the opening of earphones. Makes them kinda useless. ( Doesn't channel the sound to your ears as it was intended in an optimal way.)

If the stem on the whirl wind tips was longer. These would be just as good as the Spiral dots maybe even more popular since they are much cheaper.

The spin fit wide nozzle tips look like the stem on them are as long as the tips maybe even a bit longer. This is also the case for the Spiral dots. This makes them more adaptable for many earphones. I put in an order of these and an order of these.

61wfMXPM5dL._SL1500_.jpg

Will be interested to see how these work.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #37,340 of 101,276
I got these. The issue with these tips. They would work fine if the stem of the tips were longer than the height of the tips but they are actually recessed. The stem being so short they don't end up actually working well for anything minus the KZ earphones they were made for.

The spin fit wide nozzle tips look like it the stem on them are as long as the tips maybe even a bit longer. This is also the case for the Spiral dots. This makes them more adaptable for many earphones.

That is true. I tried KZ Turbos on the Hisenior B5+ and the nozzle of the IEM was flush with the edge of the eartip. In other words, zero eartip canal for the sound to travel down. The result sounded insane, but at least now I understand why they are called turbos.

On the other hand, I got three pair for 78 cents, so it's hard to complain too much.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #37,342 of 101,276
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #37,344 of 101,276
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #37,345 of 101,276
I will report back with how these various tips do. Just had one of those days where I felt I needed to try out some newer tips especially for my FH5. The Spin fits I had already was a smaller bored variety that ended up being useless. I had no idea they made a variety of tips. Symbio tips I always see other guys use so naturally

I had to get some. I like the idea of having better isolation. I have a few Sony hybrids and some Dunu tips that have extra foam in the insides of the tips. Those seem to help with the isolation factor.

Aug 15, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #37,347 of 101,276
Don't forget about RHA Dual Density tips, not really wide bore but they are really nice. Yeah I have Turbos and they are a bit, weird lol

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #37,349 of 101,276
So, finally, me and fellow enthusiasts, were able to meet. The main focus was to try out the different IEM's, we had between ourselves: Massdrop Plus, Nicehck Hk6, Magaosi X3, KR06-06, CA Andromeda, Tinaudio T2, Magaosi K5, Rose BR5.

Of the lot, Magaosi K5 couldn't make it. (although we've heard it earlier).I'll try to summarize what was the general consensus/my impressions (there were 3 of us). We didn't listen much to CA Andromeda much this time (had spent quite a while, previous meetup), but undoubtedly it was definitely superior overall. Very impressed with the soundstage depth, and treble, in particular.

Amongst the mid-range IEM's, Massdrop Plus impressed the most . Again, keep in mind that, with LG v20 which had a high OI, it was reported to be very bassy. But switching to GO2A/Earstudio ES100, made it overall the best sounding-IEM. Rose BR5, was very good, and had very good extension both in treble and bass, had bigger soundstage, and aggressive mids (which only I amongst the 3 found to result in grating vocals, leading to a bit artificiality in sound for me.) But again, others didn't have this observation. Rose BR5 served up lots of micro-details, but overall massdrop plus had a more cohesive sound. Although the soundstage width was not much, compared to HK6 or Rose BR5, it had surprisingly good depth. This coupled with the warmth in mids, plus good sub-bass made it the most preferred IEM amongst the 3 of us. (although one still preferred BR5 over Massdrop plus overall)

Nicehck HK6 was reported to be pretty good. (I have complete 400+ hours burn in, by now, not sure if it has made a difference; I have got ML Spiral dots which fit me perfectly which has made a difference). Good vocal reproduction, and bass (in some tracks, the mid-bass still was a bit too much), very good soundstage, but lacking in extension a bit, was the comment. Overall, between HK6 and X3, it was a mixed opinion. The general consensus was that Magaosi X3 and K5 are quite similar. X3 had better extension in bass (making it slightly dark sounding, coupled with the smooth treble w/ rolloff, and more bass impact, while K5's lack of bass extension made the mids more prominent. However X3 definitely was faster as well.

In the budget IEM's, definitely Tinaudio T2 with the bass vent mod (and foam tips to tame the treble peaks), took the cake. It delivered an overall warm sound, with good bass impact, while still having engaging mids. While it was lacking in resolution compared to the other higher-end IEM's it was a pleasure listening to them. KR06 was a bit too bassy in the stock configuration; surprisingly in this case, sealing up the vents made it less bassier and overall more balanced. But, overall i think T2 still is better. (with foam tips plus bass vent mod).

Update from my side. I have decided to purchase the Rose BR7, considering that there seems to be no western reviews of the IEM. The taobao reviews so far seem to be positive and at least don't talk about any QC issues , which is a problem with the Rose Line. Will keep you guys posted. Decided to keep the MD+, for now, and sell off the remaining, to make way for future purchases.

Hopefully, will get the Fiio FH5, as well for review soon. Trying to get my hands on IT04, so that i could do a comparison between these. :)

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #37,350 of 101,276
Spot on. That thing smacks of 'prototype,' and from the tuning description, I'm afraid it'll be overly warm and slow sounding. I wish them luck though.

I think I know what is going on. MEE is developing this Planamic driver. They need some $$ to come in for the project. Massdrop does this and the MEE name helps sell. They both get the $$ they want. MEE gets the influx of cash they need for their actual model which I am assuming will be $299 and slot above the P1 as their new flagship. A test run and money for the model they will actually sell on the MEE site eventually. That one I will have more interest in:) I just don't see MEE collaborating with a Massdrop made model splitting the work and the cash and that's it. Has to be something more to it like I'm speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back