The discovery thread!
Oct 15, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #30,856 of 101,773
  I would go for it Wayne. It will give you a new sound perspective. The sound out of this little stick is no joke. The price is certainly right. It is one of those items people will feel they might not need.

That is until you hear it. It is an instant $100 drain. Let me put it this way. I kinda prefer this sound over my Meridian Explorer. Which I bought for $300. It is perfect for guys with multiple earphones and headphones.

This doesn't work with Android phone right?

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #30,857 of 101,773
This doesn't work with Android phone right?

It works with my Nexus 7 tablet (with UAPP) without extra power and with both my HTC One M7 and Sony Z3c (with UAPP on both) with external power.

Haven't tried with streaming services since I don't use any :wink:

Tbh the power drain when connected to the Nexus 7 is significant so using it with an external power bank is the only realistic option. The price to pay for enough output power I'd guess.

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #30,858 of 101,773
It works with my Nexus 7 tablet (with UAPP) without extra power and with both my HTC One M7 and Sony Z3c (with UAPP on both) with external power.

Haven't tried with streaming services since I don't use any
wink.gif

Tbh the power drain when connected to the Nexus 7 is significant so using it with an external power bank is the only realistic option. The price to pay for enough output power I'd guess.

What is UAPP

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #30,859 of 101,773
What is UAPP

USB Audio Player Pro, an app that bypass the Android sound management and put the digital signal to the USB dac.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #30,861 of 101,773
I could never get uapp to work with my HTC M8...
And I got the CEntrance Hifi M8, works with my iPad, but not my PC. But, at $100, this baby CEntrance is less risky.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #30,862 of 101,773

Quote:
  Just wanted to share this new find with you folks here

I got in two samples yesterday called LZ A1 and A2. While both are good, A2 is the real star of the show. please find my impressions below in the spoiler box along with pics! I copied them from my other posts to make it easier.

Lao, the creator of this little gem, has only a tao bao store at the moment.
http://world.taobao.com/item/520349553484.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-3074559562.2.q1x3WA

Using some wide bore JVC tips (non spiral dot ones) and it sounds even better then yesterday. The spin fit and sony hybrid tips are smaller than the nozzle and the A2 really benefits from a wide bore tip.

I really can't get enough of that midrange. My impressions are better than yesterday now. Guys you need to hear this. Preferably with a soft tip wide bore tip! My favourite tips so far are

1. JVC Wide bore tips (the ones that come with xtreme xplosive iems, and spiral dots) - gives most balanced sound
  2. Sennheiser Double flange medium size (sounds more airy)
  3. Spin fits (you lose some bass but it sounds really light and airy)

here is a pic of them from today

Edit: If one wishes to get in touch with the seller, here is his english speaking friend's skype contact that the seller gave me - faithaudio

For those who are interested in the LZ A2, the Faith Audio put up their own store and you can pay via paypal too. http://faith-audio.mybigcommerce.com/ 

Been using the A2 quite a bit. And thats partly because its one of the only other iem besides the Sony Z5 that I can keep listening without fatigue. So much of my gear is treble heavy that I forgot what normal treble sounds like sometimes :p

This thing is just sublime. Ymmv but I find the treble to be a nice compromise between detail for the sake of detail and long term comfort for listening. I could even turn up the volume without issues, unlike some of my brighter gear, so there is that.

Funny thing is, despite the non conventional treble, the soundstage is quite big. With a correctly sealing wide bore tip, the sound stage feels like its coming from outside your ears. Almost like over ear cans. 
smily_headphones1.gif

This weekend I might get around to making a thread for it. I wanted to make sure they were still good after extended listening and new toy feeling wears off and they are still impressing me. 
deadhorse.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #30,864 of 101,773

Yes indeed, they sure do lookg nice. Any truth to the speculation that those stock silicone tips help push them to their brighter/leaner sound??

For my testing I used both the Silicon and Comply tips.  The sound signature did not change much (surprisingly) between the two.

I just really liked the Silicon Tips Design, they were able to stay in my ears without popping out.

Any idea where to get those tips or similar shaped tips? I want them!
ph34r.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #30,865 of 101,773
OK, not really a Discovery any more, but it was broken on this thread I believe, so I'll post the link to my review of the Zen's (also to shamelessly self-promote!). From what I've read, V2 is to come out in the near future...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ve-zen/reviews/14262

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #30,866 of 101,773
OK, not really a Discovery any more, but it was broken on this thread I believe, so I'll post the link to my review of the Zen's (also to shamelessly self-promote!). From what I've read, V2 is to come out in the near future...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ve-zen/reviews/14262

great review, doctorjazz. see my comments at the end of your review! i tried them on the MicroZotl2 also
and that is craaaazy!!!.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #30,867 of 101,773
IT is somewhat overkill to use the MicroZOTL2 on the Zens, but you know, they scale up, as I mentioned, and sound even more open and clear.
I have an advantage using the buds, I generally use my in ears or buds when I'm going to sleep, use the HEK if I'm listening to headphones in any more vertical position, makes them falling out less likely :)

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #30,868 of 101,773
IT is somewhat overkill to use the MicroZOTL2 on the Zens, but you know, they scale up, as I mentioned, and sound even more open and clear.
I have an advantage using the buds, I generally use my in ears or buds when I'm going to sleep, use the HEK if I'm listening to headphones in any more vertical position, makes them falling out less likely
smily_headphones1.gif

Your avatar says YOU LIE! Lol!

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #30,870 of 101,773
Busted! :xf_eek:
Of course, I can finagle my way out of this...I usually don't put on the full size phones like HEK if I'm planning to go to sleep, but...
I just happened to fall asleep with them on, conked out, wasn't planned (and my wife was sure to catch the evidence on her iPhone).
Never mind, I'll just take my 40 lashes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back