The discovery thread!
Sep 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #30,616 of 100,953
So I am listening to my newly acquired Dacport slim..

FREAKISHLY Fantasmic sounding.  This is from first listen. The thing is the size of a stick of gum. Sounds like a full on stereo stack and not your garden variety one either. This has to be the best bang for dollar SQ I have ever heard. This immediately competes against any of the dacs I own.  Have to let it play for a while but.  Very Very impressed!

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #30,617 of 100,953

FREAKISHLY Fantasmic sounding.  This is from first listen. The thing is the size of a stick of gum. Sounds like a full on stereo stack and not your garden variety one either. This has to be the best bang for dollar SQ I have ever heard. This immediately competes against any of the dacs I own.  Have to let it play for a while but.  Very Very impressed!

YES! Finally some feedback on this from someone I know and trust.

Mine is still in NJ so will probably be another week before it makes it over here.

Feel free to post some more impressions and comparison when you get some time with it :wink:

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #30,618 of 100,953
Lets just say it is blowing my mind with both my MSR7 and SHP9500.. Yes you can get high end sound from a $100 dac and $50 headphones!!

Your gonna love it Peter! Sounds absolutely superb!

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #30,619 of 100,953
Man, I was already hyped before. I'm going through the roof now :wink:

This is gonna be a long wait.....

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #30,620 of 100,953
I have the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX-don't know if it is any different, never able to get it to play well with my PC. Have a Geek Out 1000 and a Geek Out Special Edition, think they both sound better (though haven't touched the 1k since I got the SE, so I could be remembering this wrong). Don't know how the baby CEntrance compares to the big brother, but haven't been thrilled with the big brother since I got it
My $0.02

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #30,621 of 100,953
Music sounds clean with full range dynamics, outstanding detail. Fantastic stage and depth. Black backgound no hiss of any type. This type of sound quality just don't happen on a $100 portable dac. It just don't. It will be worth the wait. Oh by the way I don't know if you got the message but Massdrop failed to throw in the usb cables so your gonna have to use one you probably have on hand. Not a big deal but kind of an oversight on their end.

This is why I love this thread. We can chat about anything new and discovered. This dacport slim..Definitely an exciting discovery. Next time these go on sale on Massdrop. Snap em up. They will go fast once the initial reviews are out.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #30,622 of 100,953
I have the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX-don't know if it is any different, never able to get it to play well with my PC. Have a Geek Out 1000 and a Geek Out Special Edition, think they both sound better (though haven't touched the 1k since I got the SE, so I could be remembering this wrong). Don't know how the baby CEntrance compares to the big brother, but haven't been thrilled with the big brother since I got it
My $0.02

All I care about is... which one does the Zen sound best off of?  :)

This is why I love this thread. We can chat about anything new and discovered. This dacport slim..Definitely an exciting discovery. Next time these go on sale on Massdrop. Snap em up. They will go fast once the initial reviews are out.

On da radar now Ds! Thanks.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #30,623 of 100,953
anyone tried these Panasonics?
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HJX20-K-In-Ear-Drops360-Headphones/dp/B00SMVLKNU

Head-fi search engine turned up zilch, maybe it has been posted in here. I'll do a search within.

here's a foreign review of sorts.
https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.technorady.pl/2015/04/bas-w-jakosci-premium-sluchawki-panasonic-rp-hjx20.html&prev=search

1. 13.5mm Coaxial Dual Magnet Driver
  2. Large Aluminum Housing
  3. 4 to 35,000 Hz Frequency Response
  4. 26Ω Impedance

dual voice coils,
dual magnets,
special  bass chamber and all that good stuff.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #30,624 of 100,953
Zen sounds great with Pono, and with Geek Out Special Edition. Just got cables and adaptors to rub my Pono balanced with the acs Encore, but having a bit of difficulty removing the cake it came with. Further thoughts when I figure it out (the acs Encore is an end game custom, but was pia to get right, and I may still not be there with regards too the cables).

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #30,625 of 100,953
On a non TOTL REDISCOVERY note...been using my old Philips S2 quite a bit. Want a strong fan of them initially, but finding they sound great through the Pono, and, particularly like them for biking. They're open, so I can still hear traffic (important for safety), and shaped aerodynamically, so wind noise on downhill, while still present, is less than on other headphones I've tried, and I can still hear the music even on a fast downhill (not as good as uphill, of course, but I really need the music on the hard upholds.

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #30,627 of 100,953
Music sounds clean with full range dynamics, outstanding detail. Fantastic stage and depth. Black backgound no hiss of any type. This type of sound quality just don't happen on a $100 portable dac. It just don't. It will be worth the wait. Oh by the way I don't know if you got the message but Massdrop failed to throw in the usb cables so your gonna have to use one you probably have on hand. Not a big deal but kind of an oversight on their end.

Best case scenario it will rival the GeekOut and SHOZY Lance and adding a volume control.

Worse case it'll replace the uDac2 at the office.

And yes, this thread is indeed a goldmine of discoveries :)

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #30,628 of 100,953

This looks interesting! How would it sound compared to using my DX50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back