The discovery thread!
Aug 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,017 of 106,548
Bright treble they don't have. The highs do get much better with burn in but not to the extent that is on other EX earphones.   These are one of those that grows on you with more listen but I can understand. These aren't for everyone that is for sure. So if anyone is interested Shotgunshane here has a almost new pair at a good price too. Much cheaper than what I bought my pair for. 

I would at least burn them in good and then take a listen though. The sound gets tighter and the highs actually gets much better after 100 hours or so.. Imagery is awesome on these earphones.. I like them a lot actually..I thought on open box they sounded a bit too smooth almost or very soft. As SGShane here puts it warm sounding. Anyone that wants a better version of the CKS77. Try these. These will surprise after burn in. I like the mids on these more than the bass I think. Lol. Oh another thing. @ SGShane you should try the auveo tips from Radio shack. Or Meelc wide bore tips. It opens up the mids and the highs a bit. These earphones need a wider holed tip vs the hybrids. The Hybrids restrict a bit.

I was listening to some Ice-T power. Classic Hiphop album. I'm your pusher. And it was the first time I have heard that tune where I can actually hear the vocal effect that was put on his voice during recording What made this cool for me was his vocals was at a different part of the stage much more forward and separated it was cool. .I have heard that tune many a times and I didn't expect 3dish forwardness to the tune.. Also with Steve Miller Band . The Joker I heard with these. His vocals have rounded imagery separated from the instruments that come in clear as day in the background. lol. It was unreal. I have never heard a stage that emits a forward 3D like image in the mids like these actually.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,018 of 106,548
The Philips SHE3580 (and by extension 3570, 3590) have a vent in front of the driver next to the sound tube (revealed when you remove the eartips).  I've always had a hunch that covering these holes would increase bass like on the Monoprice 8320, but since I already find the bass plenty strong enough I never felt the need to try this.  Today, I tried covering the hole to see if it would increase isolation as well.

First I tried taping the hole (a fiddly manoevre since the hole is on the edge of a round surface, right next to the sound tube), then I glued it shut with superglue.  Neither mod changed isolation, but I found that taping the hole shut gave a moderate bass and subbass boost while gluing it shut gave a BIG boost.  I don't have any of the other bass iems to compare but I would wager that gluing the hole shut makes the SHE3580 go at least toe to toe with anything you can throw at them from this thread basswise!
L3000.gif

Two DIY guys adviced me to use hot glue instead of superglue, but after buying a glue gun I just couldn't see how it could work on the tiny hole.

I just used jelly-type superglue.  Better check that your jelly superglue is actually running like jelly though, before you start gluing.  It suddenly started running like water when I started gluing my pair and I was afraid the glue would drip onto the drivers through the hole.  Didn't seem to have happened though, both drivers sound fine.

Edit: You could try hot glue instead.  Squeeze a bit of it onto a plate, and when it starts solidifying, pick a bit up with a needle or toothpick and smear it onto the sound hole that way.  You should be able to pick the glue back out from the hole even after it's solidified.  (as heard from experienced DIYer b1o2r3i4s5)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #3,019 of 106,548
Quote:
The Philips SHE3580 (and by extension 3570, 3590) have a vent in front of the driver next to the sound tube (revealed when you remove the eartips).  I've always had a hunch that covering these holes would increase bass like on the Monoprice 8320, but since I already find the bass plenty strong enough I never felt the need to try this.  Today, I tried covering the hole to see if it would increase isolation as well.

First I tried taping the hole (a fiddly manoevre since the hole is on the edge of a round surface, right next to the sound tube), then I glued it shut with superglue.  Neither mod changed isolation, but I found that taping the hole shut gave a moderate bass and subbass boost while gluing it shut gave a BIG boost.  I don't have any of the other bass iems to compare but I would wager that gluing the hole shut makes the SHE3580 go at least toe to toe with anything you can throw at them from this thread basswise!
L3000.gif

Two DIY guys adviced me to use hot glue instead of superglue, but after buying a glue gun I just couldn't see how it could work on the tiny hole.

I just used jelly-type superglue.  Better check that your jelly superglue is actually running like jelly though, before you start gluing.  It suddenly started running like water when I started gluing my pair and I was afraid the glue would drip onto the drivers through the hole.  Didn't seem to have happened though, both drivers sound fine.

how about driver flex? and wind noise?

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #3,020 of 106,548
Quote:

L3000.gif

How does that affect the rest of the sound spectrum? I could easily try it out but it seems like its a permanent mod using superglue and all. I gave my fx101s to my brother because he really liked them and it was a huge upgrade from his iBuds so i've been looking at getting the fx40s or 101s again but if this can bring the bass up to par with the 101s then i'm just gonna stick with my she3580s for now.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3,021 of 106,548
You could try hot glue instead.  Squeeze a bit of it onto a plate, and when it starts solidifying, pick a bit up with a needle or toothpick and smear it onto the sound hole that way.  You should be able to pick the glue back out from the hole even after it's solidified.  (as heard from experienced DIYer b1o2r3i4s5)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #3,022 of 106,548
So are the FX101s still the best option for bassheads like me? I decided to stick with my E10s but they've only gone and broke again for the third time and I'm completely sick of it now. Gonna get them replaced then sell them brand new.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3,023 of 106,548
Quote:
So are the FX101s still the best option for bassheads like me? I decided to stick with my E10s but they've only gone and broke again for the third time and I'm completely sick of it now. Gonna get them replaced then sell them brand new.

Cks77 are regarded as fx101 upgrade, and the new sony's are said to be an upgrade ove the cks77.  If you're on a budget then yes the fx101's are the ones to get.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #3,024 of 106,548
Are the CKS77s that much better than the FX101s? I haven't heard a lot about them so forgive me if its a bit of a silly question. I was also looking at the CKM500s but don't know if they'll be suitable given that I listen to a lot of dance, trance, hip hop, dubstep, rap etc. but I can certainly stretch my budget that far (They're $58 to the UK)

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,025 of 106,548
Ya they are like a wider bigger sounding FX101. Even in the bass end. The FX101 are so cheap I would try one out. I think they will surprise you. excellent for the cost that is certain. Then save up for something nice later.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,027 of 106,548
Quote:
Are the CKS77s that much better than the FX101s? I haven't heard a lot about them so forgive me if its a bit of a silly question. I was also looking at the CKM500s but don't know if they'll be suitable given that I listen to a lot of dance, trance, hip hop, dubstep, rap etc. but I can certainly stretch my budget that far (They're $58 to the UK)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604094/the-ath-cks77-big-roomy-detailed-balanced-n-i-am-not-just-talking-about-the-bass
If you want to know more about the 77's

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,028 of 106,548
Quote:
Ya they are like a wider bigger sounding FX101. Even in the bass end. The FX101 are so cheap I would try one out. I think they will surprise you. excellent for the cost that is certain. Then save up for something nice later.

I have the HA-FX1X and the HA-FX101. They both have a unique sound to them and I do like it. I have about 150 hours on the fx1x and 30 on the fx101s. I have a pair of Sonys that I got for $30 (on sale, original is $40) and I think they sound A LOT better. If this is the case do you think I would like the FX40s better or should I just stick with my Sonys? I'm very interested in the Carbon Nanotube drivers.

I plan on getting the JVC S500s and I figured the FX40s would be the perfect more portable version of those headphones.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,029 of 106,548
Yes the FX40 are excellent in every way. They do need a good driver pounding but once done they will bring forth a clean HD sound quality. They only cost $21 shipped or so. Completely worthy to have in your collection and a different sound from the bass earphones. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,030 of 106,548
Quote:
Yes the FX40 are excellent in every way. They do need a good driver pounding but once done they will bring forth a clean HD sound quality. They only cost $21 shipped or so. Completely worthy to have in your collection and a different sound from the bass earphones. 

Alright. I'm gonna buy the FX40s and S500s within the next week or two, I'll let you know how they turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back