The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #29,026 of 99,885
I'll second the Zen...thought I'd never go for an earbud, still not what I'm used to, but work really well, sound really great, and it is liberating in a way not to have to fuss for the seal. Definitely worth hearing, I'd recommend them as a purchase.

On a different topic, just pulled out one of those FOTM headphones, that don't necessarily get worse, but attention shifts to newer cans. I just went on the Ozzie dogwalk, took my Pono (everyone should own one of these as well), grabbed my Thinksound On1s for the cans. This is a fabulous match, synergy up the wazoo. Warm yet detailed, grabs you when called for, delicate when the music is, made my walk SWING! The Pono tends to be detailed, On1 warm and fuzzy, together they rock!

So, Dogwalk Discovery time (I know, try to stay calm....)

Great bassist, jazz with humor...

Pop punk originators...

sublime...

That's All, Folks!

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #29,028 of 99,885
Where do you buy those VE's?

As per Lee (zhibli06):

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32302987270.html?productId=32302987270&productSubject=Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #29,029 of 99,885
Where do you buy those VE's?

As per Lee (zhibli06):

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32302987270.html?productId=32302987270&productSubject=Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

1+, been the headphones I've listened to most for the last month or so, have to do a decent write up on them one of these days...

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #29,030 of 99,885
Btw, one thing that's cool about the Zens is that the more amping you throw at them, instead of becoming louder and louder, they just become fuller and fuller and more immersive. And no peaks or harshness, so before you know it, you're enjoying your tunes at mind numbing volumes without even knowing it (be careful kids!). The Zens make me want to try different amps, such as the affordable tube amp that ZE will be coming out with.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #29,031 of 99,885
1+, been the headphones I've listened to most for the last month or so, have to do a decent write up on them one of these days...

You have tried a lot of gear and have a lot of experience, and you're definitely not an earbud guy lol! So the fact that you have been enjoying the Zens so much - and for a while now - says a lot about them :)

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #29,032 of 99,885

You have tried a lot of gear and have a lot of experience, and you're definitely not an earbud guy lol! So the fact that you have been enjoying the Zens so much - and for a while now - says a lot about them :)

Certainly have played with my share of audio toys, have to give disclosure here: I didn't buy these, were sent to me (and others) to listen to and review. No strings attached to the deal, though. So far, I've been listening mainly though my Pono (because I've been mainly listening to everything through my Pono). I took them with me on my London vacation, fall asleep with them in most nights. They have great balance-not thin sounding, give instruments body without getting too thick either, open, wide, silent stage (indoors-obviously don't block out any sound), good, rhythmic bass (could use a bit more body in the bass, but doesn't feel lacking), textures not too thin, not too thick, JUST RIGHT as Goldilocks said. I like the bass from something like an AT in ear more, but these don't leave me feeling it is lacking in the low end department. And, I'm finally almost comfortable wearing a bud. As I said earlier, sometimes not having to get that fit/seal is a relief, and I can get them to stay in place now (don't think I could use them in a gym, though).
My quick thoughts, subject to revision, but have to say, I like them, would buy them myself at the price (definitely smoother sailing than the kilobuck ciem I'm trying to get to work for me :ksc75smile:

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #29,034 of 99,885
TDK neo:n 3 TH-NEC300

It is already a week I own these. I can share my impressions. The first thing that grabbed my attention about these phones was its soundstage, imaging and instrument separation. These make really good sense on scene. IEM is dark sounding, with lots of dark spaces. Sometimes it makes trouble to consecrate on the music as a whole and separate sonic soundings grab attention of the listener, causing a feeling that the music is losing some parts of itself. IEM is rather bassy. Midbass is more prominent than subbass. So sometimes it sounds boomy. Midbass adds warmth and sweetness to the sound of the phones. Midrange is the part I didn't like about these phones. It is kinda "not complete". I didn't mess with EQ to find out what frequencies are recessed, but some are indeed. Besides, midrange is coloured and instruments sound not realistic. Treble makes wonders. Very, very refined. I really was amazed with the treble quality of these. It is very well extended and sounds quite realistic. As a whole, I both like and dislike this IEM. I like it for its amazing treble and dislike it for recessed frequencies in midrange. These phones are mostly suited for jazz, blues and classical music. They make wonders with jazz and blues especially. If you are metal listener, than these aren't the IEMs to go with. So mine are for sale. Jazz and blues lovers are welcome.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #29,035 of 99,885
These Shures are literally the greatest sounding headphones I have ever heard. Every frequency is perfectly present. These are unbelievable.

I think it is time I started reviewing all of my gear.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #29,036 of 99,885
Have the Shures, though the fit for me was never optimal (what else is new?). Been sitting on the shelf for a while, have to pull them off and listen again, liked them much when they were in heavy rotation (Hifiman HE-560 and Koss ESP-950 knocked it out of rotation for a bit now).
Enjoy, though, great cans, gonna play with them again some more!

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #29,037 of 99,885
Have the Shures, though the fit for me was never optimal (what else is new?). Been sitting on the shelf for a while, have to pull them off and listen again, liked them much when they were in heavy rotation (Hifiman HE-560 and Koss ESP-950 knocked it out of rotation for a bit now).

Have you ever tried the AD900X? The top of my ears touch the pads and everyone thinks I'm crazy! :p

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #29,038 of 99,885

Have you ever tried the AD900X? The top of my ears touch the pads and everyone thinks I'm crazy! :p

I have the closed back version, believe the are the A900x, should be the same cans but closed. It does have small pads, I feel them touch as well.

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #29,040 of 99,885

These Shures are literally the greatest sounding headphones I have ever heard. Every frequency is perfectly present. These are unbelievable.

I think it is time I started reviewing all of my gear.

which SHURES are you and doctor jazz referring to?????

SRH1540. I posted a picture, get with the program! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back