The discovery thread!
Apr 22, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #29,011 of 100,564
Hmmm, curious about the sound. Had the original X3, preferred the DX90, more for UI, then got the Pono, prefer it to both of them. Maybe I'll get to compare at the NY Meet (if I actually manage to get there).

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #29,012 of 100,564
Fiio is one company that does not seem to be sitting still with what they learn from each iteration of their daps, amps and sources. You make enough of these gadgets and eventually your gonna make something crazy good for the price. Fiio out done themselves with this new player.

This new Dap got it all. Solid build. Good battery life. Small form factor. A bit thicker than the small X1 but the same physical shape. Jog wheel has improved from the X1, much more solid. UI has improved. Quick, easy to use. Can be used as a sound card for your laptops. Native DSD. But the sound. Simply outstanding. It has exceeded expectations.

Had a WOW moment using my MSR7, on first tune out of box.  

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #29,013 of 100,564
DrBlue, look forward to reading your review of the Steve Earle concert!!!!!! He is awesome!

Not earbuds, but won a pair of AKG K7XX at the Nashville Meet, do any of Ya'll have experience with these HPs?

Picked up a Meier Corda Classic at the Meet as well, awesome bass.

I have been buried in work and school (Wife & Daughter) lately, happy to be back:tada:!

Report back from the Steve Earle concert concert last night:
This  ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. concert ended with a one hour five song encore and standing ovation for Steve and the Dukes.
One of those experiences that everyone there will remember forever and say tickets were worth every penny!  A personal and contemporary delivery of his whole catalogue of classic songs, whole new album, and covers of Muddy Waters, Stones, Kinks, and even a Donovan song!  Mr Earle was indeed the Earl of country rock, a virtuoso on guitar, mandolin, harmonicaand vocals.  he has  VOICE, something to say, both in his songs and between songs.  He  is upcode and personal...tying the songs to his long ago life of addiction and blues suffering, and his current concern for the world and being the father of a five year old autistic son at age sixty....Dylan like universal archetypes in songs all night, but not hiding behind the songs, revealing himself emotionally and musically.  his band the DUKES all virtosos, the drummer and standup bassist still there from early CopperHead road days 20 years and the new players, the Mastersons (a couple)
harmonizing on vocals, violin, pedal steel, organ, and stratocasters providing musical delight to Steve's masterful vocals and rhythms ....
One of those concerts that transcends any of the  records, where the audience was lifted to a higher state of consciousness by the joy and artistry of the music and left talking
to strangers as friends who shared a miraculous musical evening.  BRAVO!!!

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #29,014 of 100,564
Nice, now I'm really jealous. Hope the tour settings by my neck of the woods (and tickets are available), glad you had a great show!

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #29,016 of 100,564
Nice, now I'm really jealous. Hope the tour settings by my neck of the woods (and tickets are available), glad you had a great show!

checked his schedule, only new york state show is a solo performance by Steve.  but i did find
used copy of dvd of TRANSFORMATION BLUES album performance on amazon for less than 8$
with rave fanboy comments on the show...one of his great songs...i used to have my students at the
Easton Institute in Big Sur learn it and sing it as part of their transformational hypnosis class....
"Even in the darkness of the darkest night/we all have the power/
to step into the light.." and more....

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #29,017 of 100,564

checked his schedule, only new york state show is a solo performance by Steve.  but i did find
used copy of dvd of TRANSFORMATION BLUES album performance on amazon for less than 8$
with rave fanboy comments on the show...one of his great songs...i used to have my students at the
Easton Institute in Big Sur learn it and sing it as part of their transformational hypnosis class....
"Even in the darkness of the darkest night/we all have the power/
to step into the light.." and more....

Didn't see any solo concerts in the near future at his site or Ticketmaster, he is playing, from what I can see, at a camp he organizes for songwriters in the Catskills. It is a weekend or longer, forget the details, with him speaking/lecturing/singing/performing and other prospective songwriters learning from him, working on their stuff. Have to check on the solo date, maybe I missed it somewhere. Have a good number of his albums, he's an original!

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #29,018 of 100,564
Didn't see any solo concerts in the near future at his site or Ticketmaster, he is playing, from what I can see, at a camp he organizes for songwriters in the Catskills. It is a weekend or longer, forget the details, with him speaking/lecturing/singing/performing and other prospective songwriters learning from him, working on their stuff. Have to check on the solo date, maybe I missed it somewhere. Have a good number of his albums, he's an original!

yeah, i think its that camp solo performance, not in the city, but i didn't know where.
and it should be the TRANSCENDENTAL BLUES.  he's definitely a one of a kind...

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #29,021 of 100,564
Apr 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #29,022 of 100,564
I'm thinking of grabbing them with a couple of other cheapies. Wait for you to chime in on how they sound.

Did you get your cheapie Vsonics yet Danny?? Impressions?

It really was a deal not too be missed albeit with some of the current Vsonic concerns. The AN16 is a throw together with probably unused NVX10 housings. Probably cause the the NVX10's are kept black so not technically the GR06 housing. A bit messy on the glue for the housing strains and the cables, which are GR06 cables, were either rejects they decided to use anyway or they did a quick and sloppy job making them. A few messed up sheathing issues including on my pair. I fixed/reinforced mine myself. Not sending it back in case the quality control here would get me a slightly different sounding pair.  Sound-wise they are even a bit better than the Titan 1's and my pair kind of nailed the "better GR06" thing. I run mine with large Brainwavz Sony hybrid clones. Not the larger sound of the Titan 1 but a bit more cohesive, balanced and the bass is tighter and punches a bit harder. Also think it does front to back placement within the soundscape better whereas the Titan pushes most things back and doesn't places things in front or back of each other quite as well. More cohesive, esp. unamped as the decay is more even all across. Titan is a bit quicker on the treble and a bit slower on the bass.

They did seem to nail it. Not a big and spaced out as the GR07 or as treble extended/focused but really a GR06 with smoother but excellent treble, barely forward mids and a  just warm enough bass that has BE sub-bass but more mid bass. Really a GR06 successor. That mid-bass though is just right though for full but still quick and tight. Better job than the Titan's which is looser and sloppier unless fed more power. Better than my first batch original GR07 as far as overall balance, even stage size proportioning(GR07 lack of depth stuck out but these are nearly even in all 3-D's). Not as much grain or treble sibilance as that model GR07 either. Mids are warmer and not as dry. Just the right amount, for me, more consumer tuning and less monitor tuning.

VSD2S is another typical Vsonic that comes with tips that are not good for it and they are fairly picky with tips anyhow. The right tips fix them up from a more V, treble bright phone to a phone closer to the AN16 but having less a bit less bass, slightly more recessed mids, and brighter treble. If you have the right tips, they difference is not as much as some make it out to be as the bass and mids are really similar but not as good. Housing does give the VSD the bigger stage that is more Titan 1-like. Treble is brighter but it is an "S" version :) The AN16 is fine to crank it as they may liven up whilst the VSD2S has more hard C's and S' as far as sibilance issues. The old Shure "olives", the black silicone one before the foams took the name, do give the best sound for me. balancing them, bringing the mid up tightening the bass and taming the treble a bit.

Neither phone's sibilance is an issue for me. Noticeable but the AN16 is just a bit of emphasis and could tame with burn. The VSD2S is more but not too harsh or fatiguing unless the wrong tips are used. Slight treble taming with burn-in and the bass also tightening will make the VSD2S a really nice phone. Just missing it's perfect sound but really quite better than the VSD1 was on all fronts. AN16 is fine the way it is; if it doesn't change any I don't care.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #29,023 of 100,564

Did you get your cheapie Vsonics yet Danny?? Impressions.

It really was a deal not too be missed albeit with some of the current Vsonic concerns. The AN16 is a throw together with probably unused NVX10 housings. Probably cause the the NVX10's are kept black so not technically the GR06 housing. A bit messy on the glue for the housing strains and the cables, which are GR06 cables, were either rejects they decided to use anyway or they did a crappy job making them. A few messed up sheathing issues including on my pair. I fixed/reinforced mine myself. Not sending it back in case the quality control here would get me a slightly different sounding pair.  Sound-wise they are even better than the Titan 1's and my pair kind of nailed the better GR06. i run mine with large Brainwavz Sony hybrids clone. Not the larger sound of the Titan 1 but a bit more cohesive, balanced and the bass is tighter and punches a bit harder. Also think it does front to back placement within the soundscape better whereas the Titan pushes most things back and doesn't places things in front or back of each other quite as well. More cohesive, esp. unamped as the decay is more even all across. Titan is a bit quicker on the treble and a bit slower on the bass.

They did seem to nail it. Not a big and spaced out as the GR07 or as treble extended/focused but really a GR06 with smoother but excellent treble, barely forward mids and a  just warm enough bass that has BE sub-bass but more mid bass. Really a GR06 successor. That mid-bass though is just right though for full but still quick and tight. Better job than the Titan's which is looser and sloppier unless fed more power. Better than my first batch original GR07 as far as balance, even stage size(GR07 lack of depth stuck out but these are nearly even in 3-D's). Not as much grain or treble sibilance as that model GR07 either. Mids are warmer and not as dry. Just the right amount, for me, more consumer tuning and less monitor tuning.

VSD2S is another typical Vsonic that comes with tips that are not good for it and they are fairly picky with tips anyhow. The right tips fix them up from a more V, treble bright phone to a phone closer to the AN16 but having less a bit less bass, slightly more recessed mids, and brighter treble. If you have the right tips, they difference is not as much as some make it out to be as the bass and mids are really similar but not as good. Housing does give the VSD the bigger stage that is more Titan 1-like. Treble is brighter but it is an "S" version :) The AN16 is fine to crank it as they may liven up whilst the VSD2S has more hard C's and S' as far as sibilance issues. The old Shure "olives", the black silicone one before the foams took the name, do give the best sound for me. balancing them, bringing the mid up tightening the bass and taming the treble a bit.

Neither phone's sibilance is an issue for me. Noticeable but the AN16 is just a bit of emphasis and could tame with burn. The VSD2S is more but not too harsh or fatiguing unless the wrong tips are used. Taming some with burn-in and the bass also tightening will make the VSD2S a really nice phone. Just missing it's perfect sound but really quite better than the VSD1 was on all fronts. AN16 is fine the way it is; if it doesn't change any I don't care.

I dig all three of them quite a bit.  AN16 has the best balance of the three and it's an all around cohesive sound.  2S's treble doesn't bother me much at all.  I actually prefer the vocals on the 2S the most.  2's sound more like an emphasized AN16.  The general signature of the AN16 but boosted.  Build isn't great on any of them but I do love the cables on the VSD's.  I use Sony Hybrids on all of them.  These are very good Vsonics and heck of a deal.  

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #29,025 of 100,564
  If any of you guys are into earbuds, you`ll wanna check out the VE Zen:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759219/ve-a-new-and-impresive-earbuds-brand

A few of us were lucky enough to get review units from Lee (@zhibli06). I've been listening to mine for a couple of days, and even though it is recommended that they are burned in for 200 hours, I'm already smitten. It takes a lot to tear the Titan1's out of my ears and keep them torn out, but the Zens are succeeding (they sound especially amazing off of my Xuelin Ihifi 770 dap). They are wonderfully balanced, have an incredibly detailed and layered bass, lovely mids and smooth yet extended highs - a very nice timbre. The sound is very engaging, and some of that must be due to the PRaT of which ClieOS speaks. And they have excellent imaging and soundstage. Really nice.

More to come, but these earbuds are the real deal. And I am surprised to find that I am quite enjoying the earbud form factor. Good stuff! 

1.5 months later, and I still love both the VE Zen and Asura earbuds. I listen to them both daily, and out of all of my gear, they are getting about 90% of my ear gizmo usage time - I like them both that much. They sound incredibly good, and I find them to be very comfortable. The Zens sound excellent off of my ihifi770 player, but they really respond to an amp and sound amazing off of the Cayin C5. The Asura's are a bit easier to drive, and have a slightly more v-shape to them, but they also sound excellent off of the 770. I'm looking forward to the ultra cheapo Monks when they come out, because they are also supposed to be a treat.

I urge anybody who is even a bit interested in them to sign up for the VE Zen and Asura tour that @fleasbaby has organized. Even if you think that earbuds aren't for you, these things are worth hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back