The discovery thread!
Apr 27, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #29,041 of 99,688
Apr 27, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #29,042 of 99,688
sublime...

That was nice. I've only heard his Koln concert album which is amazing. Talented guy.

He can be sublime...he can also be pretentious. I have a love hate thing with his music. His Amereican Quartet from the 70's, with Dewey Redman, is some great music to check out. I once saw him in concert, at the Village Vanguard, if I'm not mistaken. He opened the piano, played some notes. The tourists in the audience were talking, as they do. He stopped playing. It got a bit quieter, and he started playing again. The tourists started talking again. He closed the piano, got up, end of set. I've always held that a bit against him (though I can't stand the noisy audiences at some jazz venues myself). Anyway, glad you liked, I'll listen at home to the above, hard at work.

Apr 27, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #29,043 of 99,688
Actually, do have the Koln Concert on LP at home, will fire up the turntable and play it again!

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #29,044 of 99,688
He can be sublime...he can also be pretentious. I have a love hate thing with his music. His Amereican Quartet from the 70's, with Dewey Redman, is some great music to check out. I once saw him in concert, at the Village Vanguard, if I'm not mistaken. He opened the piano, played some notes. The tourists in the audience were talking, as they do. He stopped playing. It got a bit quieter, and he started playing again. The tourists started talking again. He closed the piano, got up, end of set. I've always held that a bit against him (though I can't stand the noisy audiences at some jazz venues myself). Anyway, glad you liked, I'll listen at home to the above, hard at work.

If I paid money to see him, then I'd be pretty annoyed!

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #29,045 of 99,688
Actually, do have the Koln Concert on LP at home, will fire up the turntable and play it again!

Interesting info about that particular concernt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_K%C3%B6ln_Concert

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #29,046 of 99,688
SRH1540. I posted a picture, get with the program! :p

picture was on the previous page with no commentary. I have and enjoy the 1540 headphones also,
nice build quality and slick sound, bass emphasis.  somewhat artificial gestalt of sound, not rally musical
but enjoyable and entertaining. a unique phone for sure, and worthy of listening to or collecting.
I find the HFM 400Is much more detailed and musical, and the ol" sent 650s properly amped and dac fed
to be a reference phone that reveals more of the structure of the music., especially with an upgrade
Cards cable. the classic ath W1000 are my favorite phones
for rock and melodic music, especially through powerful  solidstate amp or MicroZotl tube amp.
1540s will be around for a long time  me thinks and are worthy audio gear!!!

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #29,048 of 99,688
I'm getting the Hifiman HE-1K, AEEIEIEEIEIEIEIAIAIAIEI!!!!!
(DOCTOR SAID IT'D KILL ME BUT HE DIDN'T SAY WHEN...)

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #29,049 of 99,688
I was just giving you a hard time drblue!

okay then!  GLEEFULLY ACCEPTED 7S CAMERON!
keep up the hard touch! ha! i give myself a hard time
some of the time too! and enjoy those 1540s. and heres
a new discovery for you: keep your eye out for the new
MicroZotl tube amp thats about to be released by David
Berning and urbanhifi  Its simply amazing and will take
your headphones to new levels of performance!!! more
soon as soon as the final version is released in production!
im just blown away by it!

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #29,050 of 99,688
Doing realize it until now, but today is Duke Ellington's birthday! Just heard Cottontail on WKCR. They are playing Duke's music all day, and stream the music, of course (wkcr.org). If you want to "discover" an American great, check it out.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #29,051 of 99,688
I'm getting the Hifiman HE-1K, AEEIEIEEIEIEIEIAIAIAIEI!!!!!
(DOCTOR SAID IT'D KILL ME BUT HE DIDN'T SAY WHEN...)

Congrats doc! I assume it is to be awesome.

okay then!  GLEEFULLY ACCEPTED 7S CAMERON!
keep up the hard touch! ha! i give myself a hard time
some of the time too! and enjoy those 1540s. and heres
a new discovery for you: keep your eye out for the new
MicroZotl tube amp thats about to be released by David
Berning and urbanhifi  Its simply amazing and will take
your headphones to new levels of performance!!! more
soon as soon as the final version is released in production!
im just blown away by it!

Found a 2002 review about the original one here. Interesting...
 The MicroZOTL is a small amplifier, about the size of a typical shoebox, and weighs about four pounds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back