The discovery thread!
May 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #24,841 of 106,565
I don't have any issues with glare on the Answer at all, but I have a pretty high tolerance of bright sigs to begin with. I think the only phones I've owned that wear me out faster than average are the 1p2 and 850, and maybe the Flat-4. I know music cited better weight on the K3K vs. DITA too. Out of the F886 and GO 450, I don't feel that the DITA loses out against the K3K in that respect. I don't know how to account for these differences to be honest.

Kinda wish I'd taken James up on that UERM tour. Seems like everyone I know is taken by that thing. Must be something for you, music and V to drop a cool G on em

May 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #24,842 of 106,565
I don't have any issues with glare on the Answer at all, but I have a pretty high tolerance of bright sigs to begin with. I think the only phones I've owned that wear me out faster than average are the 1p2 and 850, and maybe the Flat-4. I know music cited better weight on the K3K vs. DITA too. Out of the F886 and GO 450, I don't feel that the DITA loses out against the K3K in that respect. I don't know how to account for these differences to be honest.

Kinda wish I'd taken James up on that UERM tour. Seems like everyone I know is taken by that thing. Must be something for you, music and V to drop a cool G on em

I used to be more tolerant of treble glare and peaks. Sometime over the last couple of years, I became very picky and annoyed by unruly treble. Even the JH13 became annoying and I loved that iem. I used to really like the JVC FXT90 too, so I bought the red limited edition about a year ago. Wow, that was a mistake.

May 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #24,844 of 106,565
The Philips Tx2 is widely available around here, but it costs 55 euro's, 10 euro's less than the Fidelio S1. The S2 is 99 euro's. So I'll stick to ordering iems from abroad :wink:

On another more OT note, somebody on this forum (sorry forgot your name) mentioned the SMSL M2.
Will my budget sets (ZA Tenore are on their way) benefit from such a DAC? I'm currently using my Galaxy S4 as my main music player.
Found this little thing too while researching the Sabre ES9023 dac. It uses the same DAC, but has no amp.
Other than looking much cooler, will my puppies I benefit from a SMSL M2?

May 26, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #24,845 of 106,565

amazon.jpn will hit you at about $560 USD, then another $40 to ship it via Tenso. Join the party guys!

Story of my life, bought them last week from Price Japan for $625, thought I was getting a great deal then. 

They were higher priced on Amazon Japan at the time.

Oh, and the true best earphone bargain for the money right now is the Dita. Yes it's expensive, but not as much as the other earphones in its sonic league.
Sorry guys, it blows everything else out of the water... :wink_face:

Also curious about these...are we talking the Truth, or the standard? And can you compare/describe them? Thanks.

May 26, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #24,847 of 106,565
@Pastapipo

Great to hear that Philips made them more available. €50 is quite a bit more expensive though. Probably best to get them from Asia if possible or wait for the price to drop in Europe.

May 26, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #24,848 of 106,565
The prices I knew...curious which one is the best ever, and a bit of detail about sound, if possible...

May 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #24,849 of 106,565
It's been awhile, but I have the H3 in my ears this morning. It still sounds marvelous connected to the Schitt Vali/Modi. It will be amazing if the CKR9 can compete with the H3 in height and soundstage, with great bass and mids. And the treble is just right for me too while oozing out heaps of detail. If you can find the Sony H3 for $245 on amazon.com still, buy it! That's one of the best buys of the year for a earphone. 

May 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #24,850 of 106,565
It's been awhile, but I have the H3 in my ears this morning. It still sounds marvelous connected to the Schitt Vali/Modi. It will be amazing if the CKR9 can compete with the H3 in height and soundstage, with great bass and mids. And the treble is just right for me too while oozing out heaps of detail. If you can find the Sony H3 for $245 on amazon.com still, buy it! That's one of the best buys of the year for a earphone. 

Just checked Amazon and the XBA-H3 are $240!

May 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #24,851 of 106,565
Like I said, everything old is new again (at least, everything not FOTM is coming back :wink_face:)
Listened to a really bargain playing system this morning, Samsung YP-G70 (discontinued, have found it for about $60), using Neutron music player (IMO really upgrades the stock Android player, sound much improved, even nice sounding). For iem dragged out Monster Earth Wind and Fire iems (also discontinued, probably can be found on eBay for the same $60 or so). Know what? Sounded really nice, whole package <$150. Just sayin'...

May 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #24,852 of 106,565
Going to pull out the H3's, listen and compare to some current favs, more later...

May 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #24,853 of 106,565
Going to pull out the H3's, listen and compare to some current favs, more later...

lookin forward to your H3 report from the front...or is it the back or the middle???
doctorjazz, take your favortite low impedence phones and go hear the HTC 1 M8 phone
at a verizon or sprint store (sprint has a special harmon kardon version with enhanced audio
available now).  it has an upgraded dac and amp in it and is really good!!!!

May 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #24,854 of 106,565
I know, I've been ready to trade in my old Moto Droid Maxx for a while now, the only thing holding me back is having to give up my unlimited data when I do my next upgrade. Really don't like Verizon, had thought of changing, but have whole family/house/dog connected via Verizon, pain to unravel. I may just do it anyway, don't go over the data plan much (and my office is supposed to be adding Wifi in the near future, that would get rid of the main reason I use so much data to begin with...streaming from my office and going to "forbidden" sites, like (oooooooooooo.....) Head-Fi!)

May 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #24,855 of 106,565
I know, I've been ready to trade in my old Moto Droid Maxx for a while now, the only thing holding me back is having to give up my unlimited data when I do my next upgrade. Really don't like Verizon, had thought of changing, but have whole family/house/dog connected via Verizon, pain to unravel. I may just do it anyway, don't go over the data plan much (and my office is supposed to be adding Wifi in the near future, that would get rid of the main reason I use so much data to begin with...streaming from my office and going to "forbidden" sites, like (oooooooooooo.....) Head-Fi!)

Why not sell your Droid Maxx and then buy your next upgrade off-contract and keep the unlimited data?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back