The discovery thread!
May 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #24,856 of 106,566
What's it cost for a new HTC or Samsung these days, $5-600? More? (can search it, I guess). How much is the Maxx worth? Think I'll get $100? It actually is a good idea, but I read it after I just broke down, went to Verizon and upgraded phone and family plan, should have enough data not to run over (didn't actually run over much myself, sometimes I did, sometimes my daughter did, should be covered now). Got the new HTC One, really nice, now the pain of getting it set up how I like it, moving programs/data over. Nice not to have to stare at the phone for minutes waiting for something you tapped to open...
Did some listening earlier to some of the more talked about headphones here. Haven't formally done run off, but just took out Sony H3, JVC 850, FAD Heaven V, Westone W40 (am I nuts? why am I still reading this thread? :xf_eek:)

Anyway, they are really close in terms of giving a quality listen, getting to the music so one can have the musical mystical experience that Dr Blue (and myself) believe is the reason for chasing after this gear and trying to get that last iota of soundstage out of them. Should be able to become 1 with the music (whether it's by trance, shaking your booty, or however you like to do it).
Sony and JVC really close, seem to me like the best analogy is tubes vs solid state...the JVC does things to tone color and texture that is tubelike. Almost technicolor, beautiful instrumental tone, lush mids (found this mitigated somewhat using GO1K, but didn't disappear). The soundstage and detailing were fine, but not quite up with the best of the others, and open space between instruments wasn't as obvious, "dark".
The Sony, by contrast, was less technicolor, but still managed to capture instruments tone. Bass/highs slightly emphasized, a mild "U" (highs just approach "tizzy", with poor recordings can be annoying). Everything else is "clean", clear, wider stage, darker space between instruments, maybe more detailing (though I think details are there with the JVC, but not as highlighted due to the decreased "space"). The Sony seems to be a bit less efficient, needed higher volume setting. Westone comes somewhere in the middle...great, lush mids(still not up to the JVC), wide soundstage (foreshortened, though, feels like row 1 or 2 in a concert hall). Darkness/space between instruments there (more than JVC,
Because it's me, have to post some music used for the above, all from HDTracks, supposed Hi-Rez (sound good, have no clue if it's worth it)...

That'll do for now, later...

May 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #24,857 of 106,566
(not great at scoring really good headphones for comparison...I mean, if you can do it, it does lend some coherency to the evaluations, give relative standings (A is 0.3 better than B). On the other hand, if you give scores to 5 (and I love that some guys are able to do this), ia subjective scoring of 4.6 really better than the 4.5 or 4.4 scores? I mean, it ain't a triple beam balance measurement, I'd guess coming back a few months later, it would be possible to go up or down a few decimal points, depending on what else you've heard, possible changes in things you listen for, the phase of the moon, etc. I'm not disparaging reviewers who do it...in fact, I'm somewhat in awe of the ability to parse one's subjective impressions so finely. I, however, can't do it, so my descriptions of how it sounds to my ears, on a nice Monday, during the afternoon and evening, is all I got:ksc75smile:)

May 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #24,858 of 106,566
Congratulations doctorjazz, on your new HTC ONE M8.  enjoy the mobile music quality and strength with those different phones!.
the usb out works really well (although you don't need it) with android intended dac/amps.  The Filo E18 Kundelen is suprisingly
effective for the money (145) and gives you an extra battery bank for extended listening.  Its not class A but it does provide
a higher end experience with that phone or a tablet that has usb.  Im sure the more expensive DAC AMPS like the Theorem
or such ones would be even better, but the price differential is scary...unless you have a cash influx the E18 works good enough
to break through the veil....

May 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #24,859 of 106,566
Haven't tried line out yet,still getting it up to spec,old apps reloaded,straightening out the phone to get it how I want it. Tried it on Mog,though,streaming music sounded really good.
HDTracks recommendation:if you like jazz guitar,Bucky Pizzarelli"Three For All",with son John and a third guitarist,is a binaural recording that sounds FABULOUS! Really can hear/"see" the 3 players. Usually 3 guitars could sound really muddy,great sounding here!

May 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #24,860 of 106,566
Went for the FAD Pandora Hope VI, must be out of my mind...

My post for when I think I must be nuts...

May 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #24,861 of 106,566
Went for the FAD Pandora Hope VI, must be out of my mind...

My post for when I think I must be nuts...

You'll come back to your senses once you hear it! 
beerchug.gif

May 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #24,862 of 106,566
Ok,waiting on shipping from Japan,very curious. Meanwhile,listening to my All Time Low post on my HTC one,Blue is right about the sound,best phone sound I've had up until now. (just meant to post the song"Therapy",accidentally posted the whole album...really do love the album,though...guilty pleasure:smile:

May 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #24,863 of 106,566
yes Doctorjazz, thanks for "taking one for the team"!!  now i don't have to go to the plasma donation center to get
one to test...and YOU get to open Pandora's Box!!!   you're life may never be the same!!!   i had to break out my
piggy bank to cover my last purchase of the dot matrix tips from tenso/amazon japan and the 9710s....you never
know  what could spin you into audio nirvana i this quest for sound joy......

new John McClaughlin album BOSTON RECORD  is EXCELLENT. highly recommended for lovers of jazz fusion.
puts phones through their paces with screeching guitars, awesome drumming and wonderful synthscapes...worth discovering
if you've never heard John McClaughlin or haven't heard him in years...I went to concert of his in Boston years ago where
he had 5000 fans meditate for one minute before he would play, saying "Out of the silence comes the music"..it was a
great moment when the music started......
51Z-TKxE8oL._AA160_.jpg

May 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #24,864 of 106,566
Haven't heard him in a long time,have an acoustic guitar album of his on vinyl,great stuff. When fusion was a new idea,"real" jazz aficionados looked down on it,not "real" jazz.I didn't have a problem with it for that reason,Miles,Ornette Coleman did great takes on fusion. Too much seemed to mix tepid funk rhythms with a "play as fast as you can" aesthetic, and turned me off.catching up with some of it now,less of a jazz snob than I used to be.

May 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #24,865 of 106,566
So the CKR9 and Tenore have landed and are at my post office. I'll probably get them tomorrow morning. I'm really more curious about how this Tenore will stack up with the wonderfully detailed and transparent neutral Doppio (have those in my ears today). I really hope that a cheaper ZA out performs its more expensive big brother, but I have my doubts. We'll see tomorrow.

May 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #24,867 of 106,566
May 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #24,868 of 106,566
  So the CKR9 and Tenore have landed and are at my post office. I'll probably get them tomorrow morning. I'm really more curious about how this Tenore will stack up with the wonderfully detailed and transparent neutral Doppio (have those in my ears today). I really hope that a cheaper ZA out performs its more expensive big brother, but I have my doubts. We'll see tomorrow.

Interesting, as i am in process of purchasing doppios from mochill and have tenors in ears now lol

May 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #24,869 of 106,566

oh Eric...there is a missing gear here...the CARBON SINGULOS....dont ignore them...they
are in some ways my favorite ZERO AUDIO masterpiece.   The Tenores are smooth as silk
the Doppios are thick with detail and neutrality, and the SINGULOS the most fun of all....
ask then to your dance!!!!

May 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #24,870 of 106,566

looking forward Ericp10 to your impressions!  thanks for going for the gold!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back