The discovery thread!
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #21,571 of 106,660
Just got my Pistons from ibuygou - the wait was definitely a lot shorter than I expected. You can expect my bashing as soon as I unpack them and give them a listen 

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #21,574 of 106,660
I have to say I'm not impressed at all with the pistons. Yeah, for the 21 bucks I paid they are decent but they are nowhere near the claims that they can hang with the best sub-$100 iems let alone the claims that they are better than even more expensive ones. I'll burn them in and do some tip rolling but so far I can't figure on what basis some people decided these are so good when IMO the Deltas are a lot better and the Pistons can't touch any of the vsonic models.
Quote:

When did you purchase? I bought it on Jan 15th and still waiting.

Around 15th too and I chose the free shipping option on ibuygou coz I new from other people in my country that they had received theirs within 20 days from ordering with the free option.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #21,575 of 106,660
So, I don't have to get them to replace my vsd1le's? :wink:

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #21,576 of 106,660
So, I don't have to get them to replace my vsd1le's? :wink:

It's not even fair comparing the two. Too bad iemagnet is banned - I'm pretty sure he would have liked to get into a friendly discussion with me about the Pistons like he did with other people about the Deltas. 
frown.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #21,577 of 106,660
  I have to say I'm not impressed at all with the pistons. Yeah, for the 21 bucks I paid they are decent but they are nowhere near the claims that they can hang with the best sub-$100 iems let alone the claims that they are better than even more expensive ones. I'll burn them in and do some tip rolling but so far I can't figure on what basis some people decided these are so good when IMO the Deltas are a lot better and the Pistons can't touch any of the vsonic models.
Quote:
Around 15th too and I chose the free shipping option on ibuygou coz I new from other people in my country that they had received theirs within 20 days from ordering with the free option.

Thanks. Hopefully I would receive by sometime this week.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #21,578 of 106,660
Quote:

One man's opinion. Shrugs?

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #21,579 of 106,660
  So jant, what about these Sony XB70s you have as an avatar? They good?

The "real world" pics aren't mine. From Avic or some Japanese forum I did not make note of which it was. Possibly the Rakuten Global page even. So, they seem to be available now, earlier than the 2/14/14 date, which is nice for once that things come out early but I have not purchased either the XB70 or EX650. Love the way the XB looks and the design with the bass port out the top seems interesting and may bring a big enveloping stage. Also the EX650 has a F.R. right up to 28,000 besting some of the XBA's and equal to the EX600 and interesting to see if it can best the EX600 with the lovely brass housings, more normal form factor, and $60 price tag. Want to try both, indecisive on which one, and have purchased neither as of yet :) I just got a Mikros 90 as well and have had other bigger fish in mind so they are on the back burner.

Interesting though as Sony put the EX series including the EX600(EX1000 and EX800st are in the monitor series) and the banner phone is the EX650.

The main features of the METAL EX

Metal housing having excellent vibration-damping properties
MDR-EX450 adopt the aluminum housing/MDR-EX650, brass (brass) to the sound conduit and housing.
metal housing with high rigidity, has excellent internal loss characteristics to suppress unwanted vibration, I realize the midrange and clear smooth response in the low frequency range.
ex_series_img01.jpg

Proprietary 12mm driver unit with high sensitivity in a small
[Diaphragm newly developed]
By simulation and prototyping of more than 100, and developed a new diaphragm to achieve the mobility of the maximum width at the edge of the minimum. By maximizing the effective area of ​​the diaphragm to expand the dome portion, achieving the dome area of ​​the same size as the 16mm driver unit with 12mm.
ex_series_img02.jpg

I adopt a long voice coil and high magnetic force neodymium magnet
By The combined long voice coil (MDREX450 is 300kJ / m 3) and 360kJ/m3 high magnetic force neodymium magnet, and the drive system with high linearity and powerful, acoustic characteristics low distortion (strain) with high sensitivity with small size I realized.
ex_series_img03.jpg

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #21,580 of 106,660
Lookin for portables, deciding between
Kef 500
Onkyo hf300
B+W p7
Akg 545
Micros 90

Anyone have opinions, looking for
Bass quality, mids, details, sound stage

Love shure 1540, but returned as they are just toolarge for portability, which is whyi leftoff the paul barton phones

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #21,582 of 106,660
Quote:

i agree with you kova4a.  the pistons are fun, but after 200 hrs of burn in are still kind of rough and bright compared with the Vsonics especially the LE.  but they are definitely worth 25$ to those
on a limited budget....

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #21,584 of 106,660

Users who are viewing this thread

Back