The discovery thread!
Jan 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #20,326 of 101,627
  A review of the new ICON DAC AMP by yours truly..Something to chew on.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-icon-dac-black-headphone-amp-with-usb/reviews/10358

Congrats on them RE700s Vlenbo. Those look nice in deed. 

^
... but hook it up with the review samples nutman!!!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #20,328 of 101,627
Nice read Dsnuts! 

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #20,329 of 101,627
Thanks guys..It was a very fun review. Not as complete as I would have liked as I limited to audio sources but I had to admit. Hooking the ICON to my receiver yielded unbelievable sound. It works perfectly as a pre amp.. POWAH!..

Oh and Ericp. Your right about the H3s loving more power.. In this case. Wish you could hear what the H3 sounds like out of this ICON.. OH man.  I have them in my ears as I type..

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #20,330 of 101,627
  A review of the new ICON DAC AMP by yours truly..Something to chew on.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nuforce-icon-dac-black-headphone-amp-with-usb/reviews/10358

Congrats on them RE700s Vlenbo. Those look nice in deed. 

That is some fine write up DSnuts, I am disappointed that the DAC didn't help the doppios bass much, but it is expected. It's awesome to hear that the h-3s and the rest did awesomely!

So these things help out in giving that FORCE huh? I might need that, at the moment I hear a recessed treble on the re700s. That new toy syndrome vanished, and I am hearing it more cynically now. But I digress.

Either way, I am happy that nuforce outdid themselves yet again, they are pretty competitive to what's out right now, and the price seems modest enough for me to purchase...later...

And thanks, they are pretty fancy. It's almost a gentleman's luxurious headphone.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #20,332 of 101,627
  LOL That was stupid! 

So that feeling was true. That power whatever acted just like IEM. Pretty sad and a waste of time here.
Now that it's over, can we relish the doppios, audio technica IMs, thinksounds, kefs, pistons, and sony earphones? :D

and @jant71 

Nice, lol, I was hoping someone would post proof of that monkey/chimp/ape theory. you can switch the terms monkey to chimp accordingly if you want, jant71, lol.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #20,333 of 101,627
  That is some fine write up DSnuts, I am disappointed that the amp didn't help the doppios bass much, but it is expected. It's awesome to hear that the h-3s and the rest did awesomely!

So these things help out in giving that FORCE huh? I might need that, at the moment I hear a recessed treble on the re700s. That new toy syndrome vanished, and I am hearing it more cynically now. But I digress.

Either way, I am happy that nuforce outdid themselves yet again, they are pretty competitive to what's out right now, and the price seems modest enough for me to purchase...later...

And thanks, they are pretty fancy. It's almost a gentleman's luxurious headphone.

Thats just it. The Doppios are over efficient. How many iems are 12 Ohms is my question..Not many. These iems are too sensitive for this type of power. The ICON can drive 600 Ohm cans with ease. It drives my X1 to blazing loud levels at 30% volume. It lacks nothing in the way of power but for sensitive iems. A no go. It comes out way too bright and is a complete miss match.

Now the Doppios on my X3 or DX50 however is a complete different ball game.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #20,334 of 101,627
  So that feeling was true. That power whatever acted just like IEM. Pretty sad and a waste of time here.
Now that it's over, can we relish the doppios, audio technica IMs, thinksounds, kefs, pistons, and sonys? :D

Well, in this case it was quite obvious but personally I'm not a huge fan of this "if more than one person have the same IP address they can't be members on the same site". You'd better tell your wives or roommates to not try to get into your hobby coz if they create an account here you both might be banned LOL I never thought about this but I had a friend staying home for some time and we decided to play some online poker and needless to say we were blocked even though we were just playing against each other but with IP address rules like that admins always assume someone is scamming.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #20,335 of 101,627

Thats just it. The Doppios are over efficient. How many iems are 12 Ohms is my question..Not many. These iems are too sensitive for this type of power. The ICON can drive 600 Ohm cans with ease. It drives my X1 to blazing loud levels at 30% volume. It lacks nothing in the way of power but for sensitive iems. A no go. It comes out way too bright and is a complete miss match.

Now the Doppios on my X3 or DX50 however is a complete different ball game.

Holy dooly, that's a pretty powerful DAC. More surprising is the doppio's impedance. Only ones I've known to have that is the xba-3. The xba-4 has even less, and the im02s that I have are 36 Ohms. That's a shame, I wanted to hear the improvements in clarity, bass depth, and treble happiness that you would obtain from the DAC in one package, as you stated that the whole package, mids, lows, and highs, gain leverage from the DAC...

This DAC is meant for my father, he would definitely want a headphone that can operate to at least that much percent in volume. I wouldn't even go near 10 percent as I'm pretty sensitive to sound. 

And too bright towards silibance? that is disconcerting, looks like my im-02s may suffer as well, even with My sony Z DAP, the im02s can get bright if the recording shows. However, its a good thing those two DAPS, X3 and the DX50s, work well with the doppios, so it might not be bad for the IEMS I already bought though. 

Thanks for your grand info again, Ds.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #20,336 of 101,627
One thing I didn't mention on the review. NuForce sound includes non fatiguing treble and highs. It is very detailed but a touch less presence in the highs vs the mids and the lows. Nuforce Dacs are ideal for guys that want less fatiguing sound. Even their $110 UDAC-3 has this same sound signature.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #20,337 of 101,627
  One thing I didn't mention on the review. NuForce sound includes non fatiguing treble and highs. It is very detailed but a touch less presence in the highs vs the mids and the lows. Nuforce Dacs are ideal for guys that want less fatiguing sound. Even their $110 UDAC-3 has this same sound signature.

That won't help any of my headphones except my im-02s. What a shame!!!!

But that is actually a great thing. Thanks for this updated info.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #20,339 of 101,627
Still loving my Carbo Bassos. Nothing has interested me enough to warrant getting rid of these; they're cheap and supremely comfortable due to the light weight. Must have over 500 hours on the Bassos now easily. I'm now curious as to whether or not the Carbo Tenores would fare better with Kpop or not with them having better vocals.

I do wish that Zero Audio would bring out a true successor to the Carbo Basso that retains the same sound signature and bass levels with refinements elsewhere. I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back