The discovery thread!
May 15, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #101,626 of 103,560
Speaking of tip rolling, I landed on the Coreir brass tips for the CCA Trio. So far I'm impressed with this combo. I had Spiral Dots on them for the most part, but I like the openness and treble quality with these tips, not to mention they insert deep, so comfy fit.
LOL
Coreir tips price = price of Trio

May 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #101,627 of 103,560
I have found that IEMs don't take to EQ as readily as full-size headphones. I'm still not sure what the reasons are, but my guesses are outlined in a thread I started a little while ago. Currently, my best theory is that it has to do with the use of multiple drivers with crossovers in many/most IEMs. In those cases, EQ possibly creates phase issues and/or runs into group delay problems. Makes EQ sound "off." What you're hearing as "not clean" could be phase/timing issues. However, when I EQ single-driver IEMs, I don't run into the same problem.

As for why people EQ, I can't speak for everyone, but for me, EQ isn't about changing the tuning or altering the presentation. It's about making (usually) modest adjustments to problem areas. Not everything about an IEM's tuning can be fixed on the design/hardware side. The goal for me with EQ is to make a headphone or IEM "sound more like itself," not to change it utterly. When done well, EQ can transform a good tuning into a great one.
I'm a big advocate of EQ whether via laptop, DAC or DAP. The recent Hiby Music/fw upgrade now includes the addition of PEQ which imho has transformed the Hiby R6 Pro.
Now shaping it's FR signature/tonality is improved via 2 x MSEB, EQ, PEQ plus a DRX10 Dynamics plugin. If you couple this with Rhapsody dip switches that equates to 6 instances of EQ in total lol.
Being able to tweak & refine these settings forensically is as cool as....& sonically you're rewarded bigtime !! For me it's all about bypassing the need to increase volume levels, which, in turn, reduces high gain stage circuitry - thus lessening any potential harshness & transient peaks...(& also reduces battery drain...bonus !!)

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #101,628 of 103,560
I'm a big advocate of EQ whether via laptop, DAC or DAP. The recent Hiby Music/fw upgrade now includes the addition of PEQ which imho has transformed the Hiby R6 Pro.
Now shaping it's FR signature/tonality is improved via 2 x MSEB, EQ, PEQ plus a DRX10 Dynamics plugin. If you couple this with Rhapsody dip switches that equates to 6 instances of EQ in total lol.
Being able to tweak & refine these settings forensically is as cool as....& sonically you're rewarded bigtime !! For me it's all about bypassing the need to increase volume levels, which, in turn, reduces high gain stage circuitry - thus lessening any potential harshness & transient peaks...(& also reduces battery drain...bonus !!)
I use higher gain for the better performance of sound, not for volume level. Better controlled bass, more smoother treble, more realistic weight of notes, better soundstage and imagine. Sometimes even timbre can become better with higher gain. There's one reservation: high gain is about not only the voltage level but the current level also (depends on amping type), therefore it needs to be controlled to avoid distortions.

May 15, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #101,629 of 103,560
LOL
Coreir tips price = price of Trio
Just needs an overpriced cable and he'll be good to go. Endgame stuff right there.

May 15, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #101,630 of 103,560
I use higher gain for the better performance of sound, not for volume level. Better controlled bass, more smoother treble, more realistic weight of notes, better soundstage and imagine. Sometimes even timbre can become better with higher gain. There's one reservation: high gain is about not only the voltage level but the current level also (depends on amping type), therefore it needs to be controlled to avoid distortions.
How does higher gain do this? Increasing gain does not increase the voltage or current going to the iem’s/headphones:

Here’s a snippet where Golden Sound explains this:

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #101,631 of 103,560
How do you control gain? Which amp or dap do you use?
Asking because most dap have 2 or 3 fixed gain settings so you have to live with one of them... And neither might be ideal, e.g. mig gain to weak and high gain produces distortion or other artifacts.... at your preferred loudness level.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #101,632 of 103,560
Yes I concur high gain is more preferable, the key is to balance it alongside EQ, to improve bass texture, timbre, note weigh and stage etc. Additionally when using a powered or portable DAC it's best to choose one that has easy access to op-amp rolling: which completely elevates its sonic resolution exponentially.

May 15, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #101,633 of 103,560
May 15, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #101,634 of 103,560
Asking because most dap have 2 or 3 fixed gain settings so you have to live with one of them... And neither might be ideal, e.g. mig gain to weak and high gain produces distortion or other artifacts.... at your preferred loudness level.
You are absolutely correct. I mean control is choice of AMP and gain level.

May 15, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #101,635 of 103,560
I too find that higher gain results in slightly better sound. NOW, could it be placebo? Absolutely. But do I care? No lol Just like cables - Whether you're a believer or not, I've always come to conclusion that if you buy a fully copper cable and you hear a warmer sound with mellower treble, then you've won. It doesn't matter if anyone else believes you or agrees with you, it was your money, it's your ears. Mission accomplished.

That's why I stopped arguing with folks about audio unless they're just being dicks. It's like religion honestly. It's pointless to argue in this hobby. Enjoy what you enjoy and let others do the same!

(Unless you're a reviewer, then stop the BS.)

May 15, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #101,636 of 103,560
It's like religion honestly.
Soon we will have the Church of Latter Day Burn-In, the Church of the High Gain, and Cable Evangelists. 🙏

May 15, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #101,637 of 103,560
Soon we will have the Church of Latter Day Burn-In, the Church of the High Gain, and Cable Evangelists. 🙏
LOL

I'm trying to think if I believe in anything in terms of audio that is completely false...? hmm I was a cable believer, but that quickly ended when I went to CanJam and tried multi-kilobuck cables and thought "These sound the same as my $20 NiceHCK cable at home..."

Anyways - Like I said, It should be fun and no one should get insulted!

May 15, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #101,638 of 103,560
How do you control gain? You turn up the volume.

As for what sounds best, different amps have different sweet spots with regard to gain. Some sound best at the very top of the volume pot. Some at 1/2. Some at 5/8. Totally amp dependent.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #101,639 of 103,560
LOL

I'm trying to think if I believe in anything in terms of audio that is completely false...? hmm I was a cable believer, but that quickly ended when I went to CanJam and tried multi-kilobuck cables and thought "These sound the same as my $20 NiceHCK cable at home..."

Anyways - Like I said, It should be fun and no one should get insulted!
In fairness, if you knew something to be false, could you truly believe in it?
Just thinking aloud.
As far as myself, I like cables but primarily for aesthetic reasons and believe the sonic differences are minimal. (Probally not even noticeable tbh.)

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #101,640 of 103,560
In fairness, if you knew something to be false, could you truly believe in it?
Just thinking aloud.
Fantastic question, I'm not sure?

I try not to express my opinions as fact because that comes off as being pompous and overall, just very out-of-touch with reality. How could you truly know something is false without objective evidence and vise-versa? Also just thinking out aloud here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back