The discovery thread!
May 15, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #101,641 of 103,559
I just want to say I didn’t mean to sound accusational or question what someone believes in.

If someone believes or perceives increasing gain improves the sound/dynamics or a new cable increases the soundstage, then more power to them.

I only posted because it was stated that increasing gain increases voltage and current, which isn’t the case.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

May 15, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #101,642 of 103,559
Soon we will have the Church of Latter Day Burn-In, the Church of the High Gain, and Cable Evangelists. 🙏
I'm incensed !!...currently burning-in Rapture(Rhapsody) in the name of the cable cabal....worshipping(costs) via the church vendor creating TOTL !!

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #101,643 of 103,559
Fantastic question, I'm not sure?

I try not to express my opinions as fact because that comes off as being pompous and overall, just very out-of-touch with reality. How could you truly know something is false without objective evidence and vise-versa? Also just thinking out aloud here.
Absolutely. I think we are all "discovering" more about the hobby (and ourselves) as we go along.
I know I certainly am astounded at how often my preconceived notions are constantly challenged...

Also, pompous is a word I would never use to describe you.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #101,644 of 103,559
And how can you hear things that you don't understand...or the things that you don't even know where or what to look for (hearing in this case)?
How many people would say, agree or say...I don't understand...or I don't know? Hmm...everyone knows everything. :)

It's more about understanding than hearing.

Cheers!

May 15, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #101,645 of 103,559
I just want to say I didn’t mean to sound accusational or question what someone believes in.

If someone believes or perceives increasing gain improves the sound/dynamics or a new cable increases the soundstage, then more power to them.

I only posted because it was stated that increasing gain increases voltage and current, which isn’t the case.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
If it matters, you can objectively measure the performance of an amp across its full gain range (as well as with high/low gain settings). You can quite easily identify its optimal setting. There’s no great mystery to it.

However, whether you prefer how it sounds at those objectively “ideal” settings is a matter of subjective opinion.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #101,646 of 103,559
May 15, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #101,647 of 103,559
I know. I say Lacquer because that's what Penon mean to call them. Licquor makes absolutely no sense unless they made them with a dash of alcohol in them? lol They have a Lacquer finish, but yeah, the official name to search is Liquor tips.
If you actually mean Liqueur (and not Liquor), then I agree with you completely 😂

May 15, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #101,648 of 103,559
How does higher gain do this? Increasing gain does not increase the voltage or current going to the iem’s/headphones:

Here’s a snippet where Golden Sound explains this:

I guess it depends on the amp design. Topping G5 sounds noticeably different between gain modes. Later I learned that G5 changes the amp circuitry to implement gain. Regardless, I’m not listening to that DAC/amp on low and high gain. They are yucky 😂

But I think I have seen a manufacturer implementing “gain” by changing the volume curve of the pot. Joe @ HiBy told me that most of time gain is implemented by volume limiting (implying I was hallucinating when I asked whether R4 sounds different between gain modes 😂)

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #101,649 of 103,559
May 15, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #101,650 of 103,559
Hello mates, check out my review on QUESTYLE M15i, Thanks.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/questyle-m15i-—-mobile-headphone-amp-dac.27064/reviews#review-33903

20240510_172830.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #101,651 of 103,559
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hz-aurora.27147/reviews#review-33904

"This Aurora “for all practical purposes” is an open-back IEM. Yep, it sounds and acts like one…..it is one. Though these are not like open back full-size headphones in that you will not disturb anyone while using them. In this case we get that open and falling out to infinity sound, yet 90% of the sound travels out the nozzle. Those three vents have to do something, as the Aurora is one……..probably the biggest staged IEMs I have heard this year…….don’t believe me, buy a pair! The soundstage is enormous!"

DSC_0377.jpegxw.jpeg

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #101,652 of 103,559
Absolutely. I think we are all "discovering" more about the hobby (and ourselves) as we go along.
I know I certainly am astounded at how often my preconceived notions are constantly challenged...

Also, pompous is a word I would never use to describe you.
Amen, I like that. We absolutely do discover more about the hobby and ourselves through the power of music and all the different ways to enjoy music. Whether that's a simple tip swap, or an entire new set of IEMs or Source, the point is, it's all a journey and you never stop learning or discovering.

I appreciate that, sir. You are too a gentleman around these parts and your input is always welcomed! :beerchug:

May 15, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #101,653 of 103,559
May 15, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #101,655 of 103,559
Religion is already here, we have Shiites among our community... and they're actually pretty cool :sweat_smile:
Good thing, I'm an agnostic and sceptic on both religious grounds and audio enthusiasm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back