The discovery thread!
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #16,726 of 101,625
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #16,727 of 101,625

These things sound amazing ya'll.. I got them today and I have to say I was expecting a nice sounding can and I got more than that..These have the one thing going on for them that none of these closed cans can say they have. That open stage is very audible. I can tell Yamaha tuned these with the velours in mind. Comfort of these things are just awesome.. They barely have a clamp yet they sit perfectly on the ear. These would be for guys that hate anything on the ear. These are more comfy than most in ears. Lol.. They feel like soft pillows on the head.

Imaging is spot on and depending on recording the sound stage can be airy and vast. Exactly what an open can should sound like..Two things that stand out on the sound. These are proper open cans for one but the other is how high end they sound to my ears..These have sparkly extended treble..Sweet defined mids that stand out for vocals and a bass end that is perfect for this sound..These sound kinda like an open back ES700 to my ears with even better imaging..Clarity is outstanding and imaging about as good as your gonna get with smaller 40mm drivers..Bass end is excellent for a smaller open can. A very complete sounding portable that gives out a sound that has nothing to do with the way they look..

I tried both the DX50 and the X3 and both daps sound excellent on them but I have to give the edge to the X3 for bringing out a bit of extra depth to this sound. Another surprise. I threw on the WS55 pads I had on the ES700 and they ended up sounding more fuller but lost a bit of imaging and separation because of it so the the velours are what these cans sound best with.. A very nice open portable that will surprise many that get them..Will burn them in a bit more and see where they go..So far these have more than met my expectations of them.

Don't let them plane jane looks fool you..Sure they might leak some sound but who cares when you get that open stage happening. Can't wait to try this with some games. I think these will make perfect gaming cans..

I'm just curious Ds. Would you consider these an upgrade to the S500?

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #16,728 of 101,625
You're like a one man hype train with those S680s.

^ He WAS the one man hype train for those S400s of his as well.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #16,729 of 101,625
I need a cheaper >$100-$150 (max) IEM for a stocking stuffer. To be used with pretty much every genre of music but most frequently Classic (Violin Emphasis), EDM W/ Vocals, Blues, & Underground Rap. Preference for not-so-warm sound signature. I've been looking at the EPH-100, TDK-IE800, & MA750. I'm sure you guys will have some great insight.

Brainwavz B2 are 129.5$, neither cold nor warm, technically excellent:
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-B2-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B00573S3RC

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #16,731 of 101,625
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #16,732 of 101,625
I need a cheaper >$100-$150 (max) IEM for a stocking stuffer. To be used with pretty much every genre of music but most frequently Classic (Violin Emphasis), EDM W/ Vocals, Blues,

Brainwavz B2 are 129.5$, neither cold nor warm, technically excellent:
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-B2-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B00573S3RC

Yep, been looking that those as well because the Brainwavz HM3 is what got me onto this site in the first place, but I'm wondering if the lows are fast and punchy enough to keep up with some of my more bassier music.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #16,733 of 101,625
Yep, been looking that those as well because the Brainwavz HM3 is what got me onto this site in the first place, but I'm wondering if the lows are fast and punchy enough to keep up with some of my more bassier music.

The bass is very fast and punchy, as long as you wear them cable down, and not cable up, like many people do.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #16,734 of 101,625
Hmmmm....of course, the last thing in need is another pair of 'phones, but these sound interesting (I'm also kicking around the PSB m4u 1, which seems to be getting amazing positive response-bit more expensive, though). Haven't even spent much time with the other new hp's, Senn Amperior, Beyer DT1350's, Martin Logan Mikros 90 (which has become better in the bass department, there's a trick to wearing them properly to get good bass response that I got from the Mikros 90 thread, makes a big difference. Still quite a different presentation from the others noted). Can you say "out of control"...having fun, though.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #16,735 of 101,625

The bass is very fast and punchy, as long as you wear them cable down, and not cable up, like many people do.

Thanks for you help, but after a bit of thinking, I've decided to go for a Dual Dynamic that hasn't been reviewed(?) but is most anticipated on the site. I'm doing this so that I can give back a little to you guys that have helped destroy my wallet in the past.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #16,736 of 101,625
Hi there, this is my first post in this tread, I already tought I´ve been suscribed to too many dangerous TREADs but what the heck. I suscribed to this one and I´ve been enjoying the lecture and your comments. I also have the Monster Gratitude and I think they are more than ok, I use them when I want real quality with no compromiss and I don´t mind if something happens, they were cheap and good.
 I like the idea of the Yamaha HPH-200BL Headphones but for the moment those need to be on a good sale or something like  that (please Black Friday make it happen) otherwise I´m not getting them, I prefer a couple of portable amps and next year I hope I can complete my Desktop rig. 

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #16,737 of 101,625
Could anybody compare the yamaha hph 200 against the CAL!2? And thanks for replying ds xD

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #16,739 of 101,625
Thanks for you help, but after a bit of thinking, I've decided to go for a Dual Dynamic that hasn't been reviewed(?) but is most anticipated on the site. I'm doing this so that I can give back a little to you guys that have helped destroy my wallet in the past.

Moe? IM50/70?

Either way...

Yep, but which one? Hint: It's Red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back