The discovery thread!
Nov 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #16,756 of 103,555
  They leak. Which is natural for an open can. But for me it is a non issue.I wouldn't use these in the library or an office, but outdoors walking around or doing yard work. Nothing like having that large stage to make you enjoy yard work. I have my iems ,MA750s if I want isolation..They leak a little less than the AD900X but they do leak sound out. They do a great job blocking sound coming in though with music playing.  I trust Dannys view of them CAL2s. If you want one with less leakage I would snag one of them. You already own the HA-S500. I think them HA-S680s have potential but them CAL2s look way more comfy and I bet they sound great too.. I was very close to getting them CAL2s myself but I read a review from another member that they have a very similar sound to the original CALs which is not a bad thing but with better refinement..They could be using the same exact driver but better tweeked and obviously better larger housing for the drivers.

Oh yea I forgot I briefly tried one of my games using the Yamas . Call of Juaresz Gunslinger...A western shooter.. These Yamas sound as good if not better than anything I have ever used for gaming. Perfect sound positioning and gun impact..

Sure, sound leakage is a concern, but it's definitely less important than the sound itself. The main thing that I have a problem with is the lack of imaging with the AD900X. The bass could be a little better as well. I'm tempted to buy these Yamahas just to see if I really do like closed cans better. I haven't even considered the CALs. Well, you know me. My favorite sound signature is that of the CKN70s and the Gratitudes: warm and bright. My primary concerns are imaging, instrument seperation, and sound stage in that order. The CAL2s are a little tempting because of the inline microphone and portability.

Honestly, I'm still curious about the WS99s. They seem like they would have a similar signature to my beloved Gratitudes. But at the moment you've got me eyeballing the Yamahas with my debit card out. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #16,758 of 103,555

They leak. Which is natural for an open can. But for me it is a non issue.I wouldn't use these in the library or an office, but outdoors walking around or doing yard work. Nothing like having that large stage to make you enjoy yard work. I have my iems ,MA750s if I want isolation..They leak a little less than the AD900X but they do leak sound out. They do a great job blocking sound coming in though with music playing.  I trust Dannys view of them CAL2s. If you want one with less leakage I would snag one of them. You already own the HA-S500. I think them HA-S680s have potential but them CAL2s look way more comfy and I bet they sound great too.. I was very close to getting them CAL2s myself but I read a review from another member that they have a very similar sound to the original CALs which is not a bad thing but with better refinement..They could be using the same exact driver but better tweeked and obviously better larger housing for the drivers.

Oh yea I forgot I briefly tried one of my games using the Yamas . Call of Juaresz Gunslinger...A western shooter.. These Yamas sound as good if not better than anything I have ever used for gaming. Perfect sound positioning and gun impact..

Sure, sound leakage is a concern, but it's definitely less important than the sound itself. The main thing that I have a problem with is the lack of imaging with the AD900X. The bass could be a little better as well. I'm tempted to buy these Yamahas just to see if I really do like closed cans better. I haven't even considered the CALs. Well, you know me. My favorite sound signature is that of the CKN70s and the Gratitudes: warm and bright. My primary concerns are imaging, instrument seperation, and sound stage in that order. The CAL2s are a little tempting because of the inline microphone and portability.

Honestly, I'm still curious about the WS99s. They seem like they would have a similar signature to my beloved Gratitudes. But at the moment you've got me eyeballing the Yamahas with my debit card out. 
rolleyes.gif

Well, as the other closed headphone fan here, I may order one of these Yamahas and compare, got my curious ( and my "I NEED IT") going, what else is new...

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #16,759 of 103,555
Have to say, looks are not usually my biggest concern in headphones, but the poor man's Grado look is NOT very appealing... My fashion consultant (otherwise known as my in-college daughter) wouldn't be caught dead in these!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #16,760 of 103,555
  I am finally able to hear the Yamas using my NFB-5s.. For the love of all things that sound too awesome for words. My god this sounds stupendous.. These cans are clearly showing me they can do so much more than just sound right..I am testing how transparent the sound is. Much like how my S2s scale to a higher end sources. These do the same but with even a greater effect I suspect because of the higher grade of driver for one but more so that they are fully open..There is just no possible way this sound is coming from these little cans I keep on saying .But they do..These cans come out of nowhere and let me realize just how overlooked these cans are.. 

Read this guys..

A Watershed Achievement in Consumer Audio
By Phantom on December 26, 2012
The Yamaha HPH-200s are a genuine hallmark in the history of consumer audio. For years it was possible to buy a pair of inexpensive Audio Technica or Yamaha headphones and get somewhat close to the premier grade of reproduction offered by certain reference models. But the final step up required truly absurd investments. For sensible audiophiles with better things to do with one or two grand than buy pretentious bragging rights, a choice had to be made. The HPH-200 eliminates the dilemma.

I have spent some time with many of the flagship headphones that are held up as standards--the Sennheiser HD 800, Grado's PS 1000, and a few Stax electrostatics which are virtually in a class by themselves. In my opinion there is no dynamic headphone on the market that can eclipse the sound of the HPH-200 by any substantial degree. In direct comparisons, they are superior in subtle ways as often as they are surpassed. They are open-air, so all instruments are suspended in a breathtaking holographic soundfield. They excel at producing the most minute, intricate details in acoustic instruments, even in the midst of a rich and complex midrange. At the same time, they produce a muscular, tactile bottom end that navigates music without artificial emphasis or distortion. This combination is the hat trick that eludes most of the headphones that have ever been produced. But the best thing about the HPH-200s is that they retain Yamaha's traditional flat response and accuracy. The sound is precise and uncolored, exactly as intended.

It is possible to listen to these for hours without any fatigue whatsoever. The velour pads are stable and luxuriously comfortable, just overlapping the perimeter of the ear. This is a good thing, since the sound will invite many novice audiophiles to spend a lot of time in that thrilling introduction stage, revisiting favorite recordings and discovering what they were missing. So congratulations to Yamaha. For the moment the purchase of a high end headphone at a high end price is nothing to brag about.

I read this and it hit me that this guy may know what he is taking about.This review is completely to the point and in fact got me to pull the trigger on these cans.. Listening to them now. Truly, portable cans aren't supposed to sound like these. I just had a good 2 hour long session using my NFB-5 and there is not a genre these cans don't sound right for. I know for a fact these cans will be a permanent part of my collection.. Are these better than the HA-S500? I only wish the stage of the HA-S500s could touch the open sound of these cans. The HA-S500s were a fun set of cans that did so many things right but these Yamahas are on a completely different playing field. So these cans went up by $10..These are now being sold for around $107.. These sell at most places for $150 on line. At $150 I don't know if there is a can that sound this good.. These completely embarrass the M-80s..These are actually technically and sonically superior to my Sony 1Rs and the only real competition these have that I own is my X1s. Lol.. Sometimes it is the lesser known that ends up being something completely special,  These cannot be overlooked anymore. All your higher end cans will be exposed for being overpriced.These are the very definition of a hidden gem.. We wasn't the first to expose them here at headfi but these clearly deserve people to hear them. To me it just don't get too much better for your money.  It just don't.

What is wrong with you?? You do realize that Christmas is coming up, right? How am I going to buy presents if I just keep spending my money on headphones?

On a serious note, I will be buying these in the near future :) Already convinced!

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #16,761 of 103,555
Guys. Just know Danny and I have been closely monitoring the burn in progress of the Yamahas. Just know these cans are literally blowing our collective minds.. These aren't just an upgrade to the HA-S500. These are clearly hanging with my X1s and actually does some things better...
blink.gif
. These are at that level of refinement and you would not know it by just looking at them. So many times I have read Grado guys wanting more bass. These not only provide that but the overall sound is unbelievable.  Imagery is not just in your head it is projected outside your head. These cans paired with the right source is astounding. Actually they sound great with everything I own.

The bass end of these cans..Absolutely solid for any cans let alone an smaller portable. There is not a sound Yamaha left out on these..Much more impact over the AD900X. It is a touch shy of the X1 impact so not as emphasized but that actually makes for better balance.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #16,762 of 103,555
These Yamahas have been around for about 2 years, I believe. They are as good as the 2 to 3 times as expensive X1's, huh? One of these days I'm going to have to have a garage sale...

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #16,763 of 103,555
I was out shopping and saw these today in my National Wholesale Liquidators...

I have had my Grundig Radio for many years so why not see if the branded a halfway decent phone for themselves. For $2.99 why not? They also had an AT CK30 looking version but I figured I'd go with the Senn looking one. They look a lot like a Kanen from the packaging to the specs which is also why I chose it over the other model.
The Kanen...

images

1. Frequency response 20-20,000Hz.
  2. Speaker size: 10mm.
  3. Impedance: 16Ohm.
  4. Sensitivity: 95dB.
  5. Cable length: 1.2m.
  6. 3.5mm connecters plug jack.

The Grundig are similar also having 10mm drivers, the same response, have low sensitivity(91dB), and are 32 Ohm.

They have a little cord slider that snaps on to the Y, a gold plated plug, and metal screens, and the cable is decent. They also have the Senn pressure relief slit cut out of the sound tube so no driver flex. Tips are black generic and nothing worth mentioning. The other AT-looking model had some decent translucent tips on them.

Sound a little boxy on first listen but seemed to be improving within the first few minutes. I am able to play with the top vents and I'm sure the sound be able to be tuned a bit with a tape mod. It does make the boxiness go away just holding my finger over top of the vents. I'll burn them in and see how they turn out. They should be a good beater to keep around.

EDIT:  I found these(http://www.direct-sales-online.com/grundig-38219-stereo-2-tone-earbuds-earphones-headphones) which are the Kanen KM-948 so Kanen as the OEM is pretty certain.

Anyhow, I had some adhesive backed foam and covered the vents and went with some UE clear style tips. They only have a couple hours on them but they are pretty sweet for $3 and give the Delta's a run for their money though not as good.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #16,764 of 103,555
Another of those 8 hour droughts, unusual here. Figured I'd fill the "silence", I ordered that Yamaha from Amazon, should be here in a few days, more on this later...

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #16,766 of 103,555
Nov 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #16,767 of 103,555
I have a feeling I'll probably feel the same way, but I'll see how they compare to DT1350, Amperior, Martin Logan, and some other full size cans I've managed to collect.

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #16,768 of 103,555
  I was hyped to give the Yamaha a try, but these measurements don't match up with what I like. Has the typical open back sharp roll off at 80hz, and a big dip and peak.

For a described as "neutral" can, they are anything but.

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=tag&search_keyword=HPH-200&document_srl=10539

Finally! Didn't want to be the first to post this, as people would discount it on the account of me hyping JVC HA-S680.

A 10dB drop in sub-buss, a 5dB mid-bass hump, 7dB peak in the 6kHz-10kHz area.
I think there are 2 main reasons why people like it:
1) It often goes on sale for 50%
2) "The showroom effect". Since these are open headphones, people have to increase the volume to compensate for outside noise - which makes the perceived SQ better.

I'm fairly certain that JVC HA-S680 could kick Yamaha's ass up and down the street with one earcup tied behind its back.
Except, of course, for the soundstage - after all, it is closed vs. open.
Unfortunately, the discovery thread isn't friendly to headphones above 50$ that aren't available at Amazon or the nearest mall.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #16,769 of 103,555
Nah, not so sinister...I just think there is a real bias towards open headphones, they almost always get rated above closed (AT iem's are the exception, but in over the ear, even the open AT's are rated higher than closed). I think it is the "wow" factor of soundstaging...I like it too, but have other things more important to me, accuracy, tone color, "punchiness", but I'm generally a minority voice here. I have fun on this end, though...

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #16,770 of 103,555
I'm curious about the Yamahas, especially since I no longer have any open phones other than Portapros, which seldom see use.

But right now I'm so happy with the AKG K545 I'm not sure I should bother ordering anything else. I think I'm going to send back the UE6000's I just received. They were a steal at $80 from TigerDirect, and they're really quite nice, but they don't make me happy like the AKGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back