The discovery thread!
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #16,771 of 106,567
I'm fairly certain that JVC HA-S680 could kick Yamaha's ass up and down the street with one earcup tied behind its back.
Except, of course, for the soundstage - after all, it is closed vs. open.
Unfortunately, the discovery thread isn't friendly to headphones above 50$ that aren't available at Amazon or the nearest mall.

Yamaha is a company with experience in making highly respected musical equipment. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss their headphones because of an FR graph. And without the S680's FR, I'm not sure how exactly the HPH-200 is meant to be comparatively inferior.

I'm not sure why anyone would get worked up about another pair of headphones getting more attention unless they're insecure about their own purchase. If you're so distressed, maybe you should loan your S680s to DS and he might land up hyping them, too. This is his discovery thread, after all. It's only natural that people mainly go for what he recommends.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #16,772 of 106,567
 This is his discovery thread, after all. It's only natural that people mainly go for what he recommends.

This is THE discovery thread. Participation should be a two way thing, not one way.

I can't tell how many times I've listened to a headphone or earphone one day, and the next it sounds a little different. It does not mean the headphone magically changed the next day, it just means our ears are tricky, fickle things, and not everyone experiences them same things.

I'm all for finding new discoveries, but hype gets out of hand a lot of times. If I didn't seek that FR graph, I would have been very disappointed, as would many other people, and this thread would be taken much less seriously over time. For every Amazon review that said these were neutral, I look at the measured response and think "seriously?".

I'm sure both the Yamaha AND JVC sound great, but its best to have as much information available to help people, as well as experiences, instead of just feeding hype.

The Panasonic HT480 was also heavily hyped last week. Turns out, its a good headphone, but not great, for $82. Needs an amp and a midbass cut, otherwise it sounds muddy. It sounded terrible off my phone, but improved quite a bit when amped and on a good DAC. Without sharing that extra bit of info, people will use them off their iphones and think they sound like mud.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #16,773 of 106,567
I'm not sure why anyone would get worked up about another pair of headphones getting more attention unless they're insecure about their own purchase. If you're so distressed, maybe you should loan your S680s to DS and he might land up hyping them, too. This is his discovery thread, after all. It's only natural that people mainly go for what he recommends.

Just because I'm critical of this product, doesn't mean I'm worked up, distressed or insecure about anything.
I was ready to order the Yamaha when I found the GoldenEars report - glad I did the research.
They may be good, but with no sub-bass and too much treble, they are just not right for me.

Sending a 81$ (with free worldwide shipping) headphone on a tour is pretty ridiculous.
My enjoyment of JVC HA-S680 isn't dependent on the number of people that can share the experience.
In fact, I kind of like the exclusivity. I might be the only one outside of Japan that has them for at least couple more weeks.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #16,774 of 106,567
The Panasonic HT480 was also heavily hyped last week. Turns out, its a good headphone, but not great, for $82. Needs an amp and a midbass cut, otherwise it sounds muddy. It sounded terrible off my phone, but improved quite a bit when amped and on a good DAC. Without sharing that extra bit of info, people will use them off their iphones and think they sound like mud.

You won't need any EQ with the JVC - and it's a whole dollar cheaper! You can start saving for the Stax!

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #16,775 of 106,567
  I'm fairly certain that JVC HA-S680 could kick Yamaha's ass up and down the street with one earcup tied behind its back.

That's funny! I'm looking forward to someone hearing both of them.

Unfortunately, the discovery thread isn't friendly to headphones above 50$ that aren't available at Amazon or the nearest mall.

Huh? There have been many discoveries here in that category (including the S500's).

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #16,776 of 106,567

Except, of course, for the soundstage - after all, it is closed vs. open.

CKN70, CKM500, Basso and Tenore, S500, on and on. I think this thread has been 50/50 with many Japanese only stuff.

I wouldn't be too sure as the 680 is a fairly cheap phone so if anything it could win but I doubt it will kick a really decent phones ass that easy. I was the first to mention it and how we got crapped on here with only the 660(again, no 40mm CNT driver) and I think the 680 is should be a good phone but, face it, it has a lot to prove. S1000, S2000, S770, S660 were not that hot. Now, of course, they(JVC) will have to earn some trust back again. So, it has more to do with that then where they come from cause people were buying all the FXD's, S500's, FXZ's and other Japan version JVC's just fine till they started falling behind a bit.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #16,777 of 106,567
hello guys! i would be grateful if u could help me a little with my decision! I have read the Multi-Iem review and I see that many off the discoveries weren't included there! through my search in the review I' ve decided to buy VSonic GR99 for a price of 12 euros but is there a better discovery than these in a price not over 25 euros?

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #16,778 of 106,567
  hello guys! i would be grateful if u could help me a little with my decision! I have read the Multi-Iem review and I see that many off the discoveries weren't included there! through my search in the review I' ve decided to buy VSonic GR99 for a price of 12 euros but is there a better discovery than these in a price not over 25 euros?

Quick and easy, Brainwavz Delta.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #16,779 of 106,567
  That's funny! I'm looking forward to someone hearing both of them.

I really hope this meeting will go peacefully, because the last time I A/Bd two headphones, S400 ended up beating ES700's headband into the ground, while yelling some pejorative expressions. Now there is a 500 yards restraining order and I have to keep one of them at home and one in the office.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #16,781 of 106,567
  I really hope this meeting will go peacefully, because the last time I A/Bd two headphones, S400 ended up beating ES700's headband into the ground, while yelling some pejorative expressions. Now there is a 500 yards restraining order and I have to keep one of them at home and one in the office.

My, such rhetoric! Is there anyone else who feels the S400's "beat the ES700's into the ground"?

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #16,783 of 106,567
  The JVC S660 was so poor (IMO), that I wouldn't be willing to chance the 680 until there are a multitude of positive comments about it.

S660 isn't a carbon nanotube driver! Japanese don't like Gaijins enjoying their best stuff.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #16,785 of 106,567

Only if you're weighing price very heavily in the equation! I thought the ES700 were a step up from the S500, which I prefer to the S400. However, if you're talking bang for the buck, there's no contest.

IMHO, HA-S400 and ES700 have indistinguishable mids and highs, but the bass is tighter on HA-S400.
So SQ-only, the difference isn't big, but when you consider the prices, it's outrageous.

It took over 200 hours to fully burn the S400, before that they were inferior to ES700.
You must burn them for 200 hours straight, as carbon nanotubes are very rigid, and it takes a lot of effort to flex them.
Just listening to your music for a few hours a day at normal volume won't do it.
HA-S680 has the next generation 40mm CNT driver (not the same as S500), and now they burn in 48 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back