The discovery thread!
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #16,712 of 101,615
oh no, pulled the trigger on the Yamahas,  oh yes,   after i read more reviews, seems like these phones can do almost no wrong and JS is so excited about them.....and amazon had only one left.....feel like i was just shot in the wallet, but its least a small hole....and if they are a cross between grad0 80ish like  sound and es700s i will be in audio heaven...worth the chance....here we go again.  that head-fief who suggested there
be a DISCOVERY ANONYMOUS program might have a good idea there...HA.... 

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #16,713 of 101,615
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #16,714 of 101,615
Rock metal. Jazz. pop, funk, punk, blues, classical, EDM, It all sounds kick ass to my ears. I have been putting off raking the back yard of all the leaves so I took my overnight burned in Yamahas with me to test how well they do.

OH MAN!..The sound as impressive as they were last night after a few hours of burn. I left them burning overnight and today the sound has filled out, bass region has filled out especially the sub region, mids seem more even, more fuller and treble has also smoothed out. Needless to say after listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan greatest for several hours. These cans are a freaking GEM.

Stevie came at me from a large stage where he was performing. Drums have deep impact with that agile timbre of drums vocals and guitars are clearly flowing..This sound! Guys that snapped these up. You are gonna be impressed on open box but wait till you get some burn in..The Awesome has ramped up tremendously.. You guys are gonna love this sound. These cans have leaped frogged up in my rankings overnight.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #16,716 of 101,615
  Can't wait to try these out. The Yamaha HPH-200BL.. There is a white model that is Japan only I believe..These would be a departure from the much colored Panasonic 480s. More into the open wide stage higher grade sound.. Had a good feeling on this one.

I have read nothing but praise on how these sound. Including one DannyBai..The Aussies, The Brits, The Japanese.. Yet we at headfi have mostly overlooked these except for a few.. A hidden gem? Could be. Not too many wide staged portable open cans. If these sound the way Danny's been describing them to me. I think we have found something worthy of this thread.

quite intrigued. but it's not a new model, is it? 
now, which one to get? these or the jvc 680 CNT? 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #16,718 of 101,615
Ghhhhh, I was interested in those Yamahas a whole year ago. I didn't see anywhere I could get them without nasty shipping prices to here. They looked to me like a snazzier, more refined Grado and reviews at the time made it seem like they sound as such, too. I landed up getting a pair MS1s, which I love, but I'll always be wondering about that damn HPH-200.

The last purchase I allowed myself for the year was the GEEK DAC as a Christmas present. I'm not bothered by it that much, though. Sure, I'd love to have the money to throw at headphones, but there's something to be said for taking time and observing everyone else's experiences. Maybe this hyping will be all it takes to start finding some HPH-200s in the For Sale forums soon.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #16,723 of 101,615
I need a cheaper >$100-$150 (max) IEM for a stocking stuffer. To be used with pretty much every genre of music but most frequently Classic (Violin Emphasis), EDM W/ Vocals, Blues, & Underground Rap. Preference for not-so-warm sound signature. I've been looking at the EPH-100, TDK-IE800, & MA750. I'm sure you guys will have some great insight.

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #16,724 of 101,615
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #16,725 of 101,615
  quite intrigued. but it's not a new model, is it? 
now, which one to get? these or the jvc 680 CNT? 
rolleyes.gif

By the looks of the pads, JVC HA-S680 is much more comfortable.
Also, being open, the Yamaha really requires a quiet environment to enjoy your music - which can be hard to find for a long period of time.
This is why my HE-400 doesn't get much playing time, even though it is the best headphone I own.
What's even the point of making a portable open headphone, if you can't use them on the go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back