The discovery thread!
Apr 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #35,658 of 100,767
I am wondering if anyone has the 6 BA Rhythmas (sic) that was available from the same sellers last years around this time.
Wonder what the differences are.

IMG_20180426_193029.jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #35,660 of 100,767
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on DZ9. Worth the price? How does it compare with other sub 500 usd iems of different brands like dunu, noble etc

I don't have many brand name IEMs under 500$, and many of them are still in their original packaging anyway.

DZ9 can be considered a great value or an underperforming mess, depending on what I compare it with.
All the following comparisons are for SQ only:
If I compare it with a 1000$ (can be had for 700$ now) AKG 3003, DZ9 loses by a large margin.
If I compare it with another 1000$ IEM - FI-BA-SS , I'd take DZ9 over FI-BA-SS even if they both would be 500$, can't handle Fi-BA-SS's sibilance (Fi-BA-SS does win in everything else).
If I compare it to a 200$ HK6 - DZ9 is worth every penny.
If I compare it to a 70$ LZ-A2 - DZ9 is left in the dust again.

So it all depends on your frame of reference.
For me, DZ9 isn't the failure that HK6 is, but I still don't use it. it is the most beautiful IEM I own though.

Also, it took me a really long time to find the tips which sound best with DZ9 for me (small double flange Hifiman), and it seems to be very sensitive to the depth of insertion.
It's a very large IEM (9 drivers!), so it may be difficult for some to achieve optimal insertion, depending on their ear structure.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #35,661 of 100,767
Ya the truth is. I have yet to see even the most highest rated earphones or headphone be unanimously liked so this don't surprise me.

I am the opposite of Ben here. I love these things. They have a great sound and has no weird tonality issues or coherancy issues or bass issues or any other issues that I can hear I guess I am not as picky as Ben. I do look forward to the guys that are getting them to read your thoughts about them.

For the record he is the first. All them Japanese enthusiasts and myself are wrong it seems according to Ben here. Which is fine. Lol.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #35,662 of 100,767
We worked it out.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #35,663 of 100,767
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #35,664 of 100,767
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #35,665 of 100,767
It uses the AK4490 chips. Two of them. AK chips are known for their musicality. What is interesting is Fiios version the X5iii went with that aspect and decided to tune the player warm smooth with good details but lacks a bit of treble bite but had good bass. It was actually a very good sound but what really worked for me was Shanlings version of tuning the AK4490 chips.

They did a more neutral take on the AK4490 chip sound. I can tell they are using the same chips in both players but the M3s was more dynamic from the get go. Let me find my inital post of the sound on the M3s thread will edit this once I find it.

Contributor
Dsnuts

You guys can call me a JVC (or AT) superfan

Posted this on the discovery thread. Got my player in titanium with black case. Been listening to it out of the box and I let it play all night.

I aint gonna lie. This player is no joke. Its not the X7ii I was listening to at RMAF but you would expect that from a player that don't even cost half the price.

I am listening to it in balanced out using my MEE audio PX. This sounds fantastic in balanced about as good as I have ever heard balanced out. The player has exceeded my expectation on how it sounds. Thus far it takes one of the most musical DAC chips in the AK4490. Has a fullness to the sound that I am familiar with the chips from hearing the X5iii which uses the same chips. Shanglings version however has a more dynamic quality to it that was unexpected.

I can hear the similarities in dac chips but it is the implementation here that actually sounds even more musical than the X5iii. In comparison there is a bit more lushness to the music. Stage I want to say is similar but will wait till it gets a weeks worth of use before final thoughts. Detail is there but it has a rangy fullness to the sound quality that is absolutely addictive.

Another aspect I can pick out. I think it has a darker background vs the X5iii. Sounds a touch cleaner especially in balanced mode. Sound expands accordingly in balanced. It sounds fantastic. I think guys that are willing to give this new M3s a try will be pleasantly surprised

Oh and guys that love their bass. This player spanks the X5iii in lower fuller deep bass. This is without EQ. Will have to give it more time but I can already tell the sound is more dynamic over the X5iii. Especially the bass and having a lower noise floor. And I thought the X5iii was a great value when I got it. Sure this player has no android capabilities. I couldn't care less. The SQ easily makes up for it.

Love how quick everything is on this player too. No 4 minute wait time till I can start playing music. everything is instant. With the X5iii I feel sometimes I need to stack an amp with it to get it sounding more dynamic. Not so much with the M3s. This thing is brilliant. Will have more observations as the player gets some work in. I can already tell the battery is much better on this as well.

Contributor
Dsnuts

So I left the player playing in my drawer the entire day without pausing once. It has been 8 hours and I have a freakish 4 out of 5 bars for battery life left. Unreal. Looks like 13 hours in single mode is very realistic at this point.

Contributor
Dsnuts

A little update on the battery life. It was at 10 hours before I turned it off to charge again. Got to get it ready for my commute today. It was at 3 bars of battery still. I am thinking it will easily go 12 to 13 hrs of playing non stop before needing a charge playing a mix of FLAC, MP3s and high res stuff.

I took a good listen before I shut it off to charge again and it sounds so damn nice and yes I am using that cheapo 4 driver IEM I posted earlier here. The DM5, synergy is just world class between this cheapo hybrid and this player. I am so much looking forward to hearing my collection of phones using this player. So ya I have quickly become a fan. Dont know what Shanling got cooking for their next player but looks like I will have to start saving my cash for that. In the mean time I will be enjoying the heck out of this player. The X5iii when I first got it slowly won me over. The M3s Wowed me on first listen.

You will too once you hear how excellent this sounds. Seriously if your on the fence and reading about this player. Dont be go ahead and get one and hear it for yourself. For this price. SQ is simply off the chain!

Contributor
Dsnuts

So I took my M3s to work with me and brought my Sony Z5 with my balanced cable and adaptor so I can use the M3s. The best I have ever heard the Z5 ever. I thought the sound out of my Pono was the best I have heard the Z5. It has been dethroned. The sound is about as perfect as it gets. Wide deep full on stage with exacting detail and smooth layers of lush sound.Thus far I have yet to hear anything I own that sounds even close to mediocre on the player.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #35,666 of 100,767
Ya the truth is. I have yet to see even the most highest rated earphones or headphone be unanimously liked so this don't surprise me.

I am the opposite of Ben here. I love these things. They have a great sound and has no weird tonality issues or coherancy issues or bass issues or any other issues that I can hear I guess I am not as picky as Ben. I do look forward to the guys that are getting them to read your thoughts about them.

For the record he is the first. All them Japanese enthusiasts and myself are wrong it seems according to Ben here. Which is fine. Lol.

I've never said that you or anybody else are wrong - just shared my impressions.
Please don't put words in my mouth.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #35,668 of 100,767

ds, nobody doubts your sincerity or your enthusiasm, but this ain't an exact science and everyone's entitled to express an opinion, however contrarian it may appear. i personally find it helpful to hear opposing viewpoints, which can act as a reality check or a basis for evaluating the merits of a particular review.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #35,669 of 100,767
Its all good. I like reading peoples take on a particular phone. That saying we all hear differently is definitely appicable here.

I get Ben's take on these. He obviously didn't like them which is fine. I am looking for peoples takes on them that I respect. These can't get into the hands of guys that recently bought them fast enough. So the waiting begins.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #35,670 of 100,767
Its all good. I like reading peoples take on a particular phone. That saying we all hear differently is definitely appicable here.

I get Ben's take on these. He obviously didn't like them which is fine. I am looking for peoples takes on them that I respect. These can't get into the hands of guys that recently bought them fast enough. So the waiting begins.
Agree, I think all opinions are valid and valuable as long as they are honest and authentic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back