The discovery thread!
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #35,641 of 100,493
Small warning about HK6/HQ6 - having multiple drivers working the same region, it's doomed to have some coherency issues.
Not everyone may be sensitive to these issues, but I am. DZ9 has the same problem, although to a much smaller extent. DZ9 also has much better timbre - HK6 sounds somewhat off.
Timbre may be its main problem, there are plenty much cheaper IEMs that sound much more natural.

Bass is not what I expected - sounds like the 2 BAs are firing out of sync. It's not the typical BA tight bass - lacks definition. DZ9's dynamic driver does much better job.
Soundstage is average. Comfort is good. HK6 looks good, but can't compare to DZ9 (see pictures below).

At 200$, HK6 is a disappointment so far. I'll keep tip rolling, but so far the results weren't great.

P.S. Before you spend 200$+ on HK6/HQ6, maybe wait 3-6 months - if the hype train is still going, it may be worth taking a risk. Chances are, there will be the next "world beater" IEM by that time anyway.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on DZ9. Worth the price? How does it compare with other sub 500 usd iems of different brands like dunu, noble etc

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #35,642 of 100,493
Unnatural sound ? You can buy kz iem and you'd know that the sound is unnatural

Hahaha I love that you mention that! Spot on! I recently acquired the KZ ZSR. It is a decent sounding iem for the money but the sub-bass bleeds too much into the mids. While it's not as harsh or sibilant as the ZS6, it truly sounds very un-natural when compared to any of my other IEMs.

I guess I should thank Westone and EarSonics for the nice, albeit pricier, introductory lesson on how mids or highs should sound. I was just missing that dynamic driver 'oomph' or impact.

I thought a natural sounding IEM was one that sounded exactly like what my ears (which ofc. greatly differs between us all) would hear if the artist were playing just for you. This natural preference would only matter with acoustic, vocal and other instrument and tone-dependent music. We're only human and also incredibly complex. It could even be as simple as you subconscious communicating, "WOW, this tuning sounds exactly like my mothers voice from when she sang to me when I was 4. It invokes the the most intense emotions and please. Dis I like" but the conscious you says "WOW, idk why but dis I like. It's natural or something"

I am honestly not trying to throw shade at anyone here. I love and respect you all. Just genuinely curious and trying to get an angle on how we describe and interpret sound quality, relative to and also with respect to our subjective or even subconscious preferences.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #35,644 of 100,493
The fact that it is possible is very sad. So, it may be that there is a large variance, and dsnuts was lucky to get a very very good one, and you might have got a different one. (not necessarily defective because of large variation, no standard on what is the reference for Dk6 might exist).
I knew that this was the risk (yes, even at 200$), and I took it.
Didn't pay off for me, can pay off for somebody else (if there is a variance).

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #35,645 of 100,493
For anyone interested in a slightly lower priced IEM, I'm really impressed by the Hifi boy OS V3. It's a 1DD+1BA hybrid going for $159. It's really comfortable and has fantastic coherency - you'd never guess it was a hybrid because it sounds like a very well-tuned single dynamic. The only thing I don't love about it is the cable. It's a good quality cable but thin above the Y-split and has preformed hooks - that means it's extremely prone to tangling. It is detachable though, so not a problem for most people here who have several cables lying around. Apart from that, it's dope! Will post my full review in a day or two.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #35,646 of 100,493
Unnatural sound ? You can buy kz iem and you'd know that the sound is unnatural
In June 2014 I bought KZ-GR at 16$. I was shocked - it had FAD Heaven VI sound signature and Heaven IV sound quality - not a bad combination for a 16$ IEM, considering how much more expensive the other two IEMs are.
I was using the "audiophile" red filter and FAD Type B tips (made a huge difference).

I bought 5 more at 10$ each in August 2014 - same great IEM, sold them (with FAD Type B tips) to my friends, who were ecstatic about the SQ at such a low price
So I bought 5 more at 9$ each in September 2014 - they sounded like crap. The filters have been changed, even their thread was changed - so i couldn't try old filters with the new KZ GR. I suspect the driver was changed too.
I bought a couple more at 7$ each in November 2014 - crap again.
Bought one more at 7$ in September 2015 - still crap.

When it comes to cheap Chi-fi IEMs, you may get a great sound at unbelievably low price, but you have to jump on it early.
If you wait until the model gains popularity, the manufacturer may switch the product to cheaper components.
It's the old bait-and-switch, the only remedy is being among the first buyers.
My advice to wait 3-6 months before purchasing to see if the hype train is still going, doesn't apply to cheap IEMs - you either jump on them early, or you should skip them completely.
By the time there are many great reviews, the product may already be different.

upload_2018-4-26_15-34-21.png

upload_2018-4-26_15-34-34.png

upload_2018-4-26_15-34-46.png

upload_2018-4-26_15-35-43.png

upload_2018-4-26_15-35-54.png

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #35,647 of 100,493
For anyone interested in a slightly lower priced IEM, I'm really impressed by the Hifi boy OS V3. It's a 1DD+1BA hybrid going for $159. It's really comfortable and has fantastic coherency - you'd never guess it was a hybrid because it sounds like a very well-tuned single dynamic. The only thing I don't love about it is the cable. It's a good quality cable but thin above the Y-split and has preformed hooks - that means it's extremely prone to tangling. It is detachable though, so not a problem for most people here who have several cables lying around. Apart from that, it's dope! Will post my full review in a day or two.

Always been interested with these. Will have to consider a pair.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #35,649 of 100,493
I just found a comparison between the hq6 and the hk6, but google translate doesn't translate very well
http://bisonicr.ldblog.jp/archives/55679779.html?ref=popular_article&id=4772191-1023306

This was a bit difficult to understand but this is great news. It seems the HQ6 is a different earphone all together. So I am expecting my HQ6 here very soon. Will definitely report back with how they sound.

From this review it seems the HK6 has the better mid range which I expected and the HQ6 has extended treble and a fuller bass end or otherwords a V shaped signature. Interesting. Well wil find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #35,651 of 100,493
In June 2014 I bought KZ-GR at 16$. I was shocked - it had FAD Heaven VI sound signature and Heaven IV sound quality - not a bad combination for a 16$ IEM, considering how much more expensive the other two IEMs are.
I was using the "audiophile" red filter and FAD Type B tips (made a huge difference).

I bought 5 more at 10$ each in August 2014 - same great IEM, sold them (with FAD Type B tips) to my friends, who were ecstatic about the SQ at such a low price
So I bought 5 more at 9$ each in September 2014 - they sounded like crap. The filters have been changed, even their thread was changed - so i couldn't try old filters with the new KZ GR. I suspect the driver was changed too.

When it comes to cheap Chi-fi IEMs, you may get a great sound at unbelievably low price, but you have to jump on it early.
If you wait until the model gains popularity, the manufacturer may switch the product to cheaper components.
My advice to wait 3-6 months before purchasing to see if the hype train is still going, doesn't apply to cheap IEMs - you either jump on them early, or you should skip them completely.

Oh man, that is so negative yet plausible. :frowning2:

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #35,653 of 100,493

I do agree with you on that note especially for kz. The same happened with me when I got kz zs5. I got from the first batch and it was wonderful for the price paid. I ordered one more after a few weeks and it was like a treble cannon. I didn't realise that the later batches they were having a BA in the nozzle and I really couldn't stand the highs.
I checked on head Fi and people were discussing about kz zs5 v1 and V2.
Then followed some suggestions on the thread and started trying foam tips
It became a little better, but I still liked like kz zs5 v1 better.
So with kz you can't rely on late batches. So have to get it when it's up for pre order or don't get it at all.
I really hope that's not the case with HK6 for me.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #35,654 of 100,493
Just checking if you've tried tfz king ? Or anyone in this thread. How is it
I am using the King Pro and am mighty impressed with it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #35,655 of 100,493
I do agree with you on that note especially for kz. The same happened with me when I got kz zs5. I got from the first batch and it was wonderful for the price paid. I ordered one more after a few weeks and it was like a treble cannon. I didn't realise that the later batches they were having a BA in the nozzle and I really couldn't stand the highs.
I checked on head Fi and people were discussing about kz zs5 v1 and V2.
Then followed some suggestions on the thread and started trying foam tips
It became a little better, but I still liked like kz zs5 v1 better.
So with kz you can't rely on late batches. So have to get it when it's up for pre order or don't get it at all.
I really hope that's not the case with HK6 for me.

I will ask Jim at NiceHCK if there are any variations of his HK6 earphones. I doubt this but we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back