The discovery thread!
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #37,351 of 101,322
I think I know what is going on. MEE is developing this Planamic driver. They need some $$ to come in for the project. Massdrop does this and the MEE name helps sell. They both get the $$ they want. MEE gets the influx of cash they need for their actual model which I am assuming will be $299 and slot above the P1 as their new flagship. A test run and money for the model they will actually sell on the MEE site eventually. That one I will have more interest in:) I just don't see MEE collaborating with a Massdrop made model splitting the work and the cash and that's it. Has to be something more to it like I'm speculating.
Yeah, i also don't see mee developing a new tech and just going to MD for a collaboration instead of reaping the benefits themselves. I'm sure that mee possibly are selling their more expensive stuff with better success on MD, but still if it was so groundbreaking and good they would have put a way heftier price tag. I'm still half interested to see measurements and impressions, but after getting the rhythmos sd7 plus, the aaw a3h pro and the flc8d the last few months I don't think I need yet another mid-tier level iem unless someone I trust says that new driver has anything better to offer than the competition.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #37,352 of 101,322
I think I know what is going on. MEE is developing this Planamic driver. They need some $$ to come in for the project. Massdrop does this and the MEE name helps sell. They both get the $$ they want. MEE gets the influx of cash they need for their actual model which I am assuming will be $299 and slot above the P1 as their new flagship. A test run and money for the model they will actually sell on the MEE site eventually. That one I will have more interest in:) I just don't see MEE collaborating with a Massdrop made model splitting the work and the cash and that's it. Has to be something more to it like I'm speculating.

I bet you're right and we'll see a MEE Planamic Pro come out in a few months, replete with an upgraded cable and an "audiophile tuning." Not that I disagree with that as a R&D strategy, but I'm wary of buying what seems like a prototype and that sound signature in no way appeals to me.

Plus, trying to read between the lines in the marketing spiel, I can't tell how innovative this design actually is. The very concept of a planar dynamic driver seems contradictory to me. Either it has a circuit trace or it has a voice coil; either it is a flat membrane or its a domed transducer. Not sure how changing the magnets is supposed to bridge those gaps.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #37,353 of 101,322
Aug 17, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #37,354 of 101,322
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #37,355 of 101,322
DSC06395.JPG
DSC06396.JPG

From top to bottom these are the all Spin Fit variety. You only get a Pair of the CP240 with various nozzle inserts to fit a variety of different earphones.
The mid row is CP145 and the bottom CP155.

So even though these may look like they have a wide nozzle it is actually the stems of them that are wider. Wider than the nozzle opening of the tips. So it is the stem opening to fit the various earphones kinda like how the TX complys are.

The 2nd pic is of the CP240 on the Fiio FH5 and as crazy as these tips look. Out of the 3 pack here. These are very intriguing. These look a bit like some type of hearing aid/ probe in design but it is actually designed brilliantly. The issue with the Fiio FH5 is that they have a short wide nozzle on them and the sound out of the FH5 I realized a while ago actually benefit from a longer sitting earphone tip. Up till now I have been using a double flange I found in my tip box. These tips sound like they were custom made for my ears. I finally feel like I have a great fitting tip using the FH5. For this alone.. HUGE thumbs up to the CP240!! Especially if you own the FH5. The clear upper portion of the tip gives me a perfect seal inside my ears. The result. The FH5 sounds superb using these tips from Bass to treble. The only down side is you get one pair.

The CP155 is not bad is shaped like the head of a bullet. Is a bit longer than your average tip. The stem on them are 5mm the opening is more like 4mm. I can see me using these on my other earphones. The CP145 is no different than any other tip really. Nothing special here.

Out of these. The CP240 is crazy looking tip but they work great. They actually give better isolation due to them fitting great in my ears. Worthy of giving a try.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #37,356 of 101,322
Waiting for delivery of the CP240. Hopes it works better with my narrow ear canal. Also went with the On2 drop as I have in the past wanted the ESW9 but never gotten around to sink funds into them. For anyone who have heard both, would really appreciate some comparisons.

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #37,357 of 101,322
I forgot to mention they make medium and small sizes too for the CP240s.

61%2BLNe0HqXL._SL1500_.jpg

I usually use large so I went with large and indeed they are large. So if you guys plan on trying out a pair. I would go with what size tips you normally use.

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #37,358 of 101,322
Waiting for delivery of the CP240. Hopes it works better with my narrow ear canal. Also went with the On2 drop as I have in the past wanted the ESW9 but never gotten around to sink funds into them. For anyone who have heard both, would really appreciate some comparisons.

Havent heard the ESW9. But I can definitely tell you. Your in for a surprise. The ON2 is easily my best on ear cans even over the DT1350. It wont take 2nd best to nothing. It is an excellent can. Wait till you hear them.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #37,359 of 101,322
Havent heard the ESW9. But I can definitely tell you. Your in for a surprise. The ON2 is easily my best on ear cans even over the DT1350. It wont take 2nd best to nothing. It is an excellent can. Wait till you hear them.

Hi Ds, have heard the ESW9 on a few occasions years back and really looking forward to receiving them. Thanks for the thoughts.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #37,360 of 101,322
If you got the ON2 on recent MD sale. That is one heck of a deal for them cans. They isolate really well too.

So I have been tip rolling with the new Spin fits and it turns out the CP145 or the white tips that I found better used vs the bullet shaped CP155. The CP145 gives a better seal in the ear and they are now occupying my DZ12 and SD7 hybrids. Was surprised to find they optimize the sound out of these earphones.

I am using a pair of CP155 on my Hunters. Glad to report these are not a fail at all. Definitely got my monies worth.
I found that the CP145 is comparable to the old headfi favorite tips the Sony H1Mc tips. I know guys that have been looking for these tips ever since M1Hc was popular so I would advise giving these a try.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #37,361 of 101,322

Now this is saying something. I'm now intrigued by the ON2. I find the DT1350 probably the best on ear portable headphone, love the bottomless bass and speed of those drivers. How would you describe the O2 compared to the DT1350.

I recall you saying that was one of your best performance to price headphone recommendations. I heard the EMU Purpleheart and for a small cheaper, portable headphone, I was impressed but never compared them to the DT1350. The EMU from memory are a much more fun signature.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #37,362 of 101,322
Since they are on ear I can say they don't have the best stage presence or depth. DT1350s might have the stage over the ON2 but I will say the ON2 wins at dynamics. Better more defined bass. Mids have fuller more engaging presence and treble has a clean even sound to it. The sound is more engaging in general over the DT1350 imo. They are tuned a bit more toward a monitor type sound. But with great balance and fullness you would never expect coming from a small set of on ears. A real shocker is they isolate just as good as the DT1350 which was a surprise to me.

Very comfy for on ears due to the plush memory foamed lined pads. I actually prefer their sound over my ATH- MSR7. Very overlooked cans here on headfi. If you read the impressions on the ON2 thread. You will see overwhelming remarks of how great they sound. It is my opinion but the ON2s are easily Thinksounds best sounding headphones. USP-1 earphones being a close 2nd in line.

I heard Aaron is working on a Bluetooth over the ear headphone. I am most certainly looking forward to hearing what he comes up with next.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #37,365 of 101,322
Hey guys, fairly new IEM, Co Donguri Brass reviewed here (Need moar views!!). Technically better than it's predecessor, but musically falling slightly short for my sonic preferences.
Very interesting earphones for a throwaway price really. I'm sure many people will love these.

The Shizuku looks amazing but the dull, boring treble and the driver flex is why I got rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back