The discovery thread!
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #38,641 of 99,906
NK10 has moderate extension for treble and bass so it will be a bit more focused on sound layering and mid section so this makes sense. The spacious mids of the NK10 is what makes them sound nice. Not so much the bass or the treble end. Which in my review I pointed out seems to go with the mids more than the other way around.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #38,643 of 99,906
Thanks for your recommendation DannyBai and for remembering me and my tastes in music! i was able to pick one up on Amazon
so looking forward to hearing this! its a unique driver configuration among the avalanche of Chinese earphones raining down on us
for the holidaze!!!! and at a very reasonable price. any tips re tips, cables etc for these???

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #38,645 of 99,906
Thanks for your recommendation DannyBai and for remembering me and my tastes in music! i was able to pick one up on Amazon
so looking forward to hearing this! its a unique driver configuration among the avalanche of Chinese earphones raining down on us
for the holidaze!!!! and at a very reasonable price. any tips re tips, cables etc for these???
Awesome drblue! I hope I don’t steer you wrong. I’d love to know what you think when you get them. I hope you chose the blue one
I settled on the whirlwind tips or one with a wide nozzle sounds best. I use one of those 8 core nicehck cables donuts links often.

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #38,648 of 99,906
for those of you who already have the DMG, what tips are you using??
I have read a bunch of comments that the included tips are not that good.
My DMG is coming from Massdrop next week.

I am using a my Sony MH1c tips which is an offshoot of the Sony hybrids. It is narrower nozzle by design and with gold filters. I feel a longer sitting narrower tip helps focus the sound especially the bass end more so. I would try the tips you have in hand first. I can recommend some Spin fit models that are identical to my Sony MH1c in design.

I just realized I have not actually tried Sony hybrids. Those might work just as good. Will try it tonight when I get home and report back.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #38,649 of 99,906
Awesome drblue! I hope I don’t steer you wrong. I’d love to know what you think when you get them. I hope you chose the blue one
I settled on the whirlwind tips or one with a wide nozzle sounds best. I use one of those 8 core nicehck cables donuts links often.
Yes I got the blue one with no mic! Thanks for the tip tip!
Is there anyway to get the 8 core nnicehckcnicehcknnicehckcnicehck cable without going through aliexpress? I refuse to give them copies of my drivers license and credit card statement to accept my card after they just sold me something -DMG - successfully two wees ago!

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #38,650 of 99,906
Is there anyway to get the 8 core nnicehckcnicehcknnicehckcnicehck cable without going through aliexpress? I refuse to give them copies of my drivers license and credit card statement to accept my card after they just sold me something -DMG - successfully two wees ago!
Can't you just PayPal it?

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #38,651 of 99,906
If you shop at the forbidden store, you can PayPal it or this is the exact cable I am using but costs more through amazon.

Detachable Earphone Cable **** 8 core Upgraded Silver Plated Earbuds Replacement Cable 3.5mm bass Headphone Cable 2 Pin 0.78mm IEM Cable Android for KZ ES4 ZS5 ZS6 ZSR ZST ZS10 ZS3(Silver-2P3.5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4DKHH1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-SH0BbZH27SH5

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #38,652 of 99,906
If you shop at the forbidden store, you can PayPal it or this is the exact cable I am using but costs more through amazon.

Detachable Earphone Cable **** 8 core Upgraded Silver Plated Earbuds Replacement Cable 3.5mm bass Headphone Cable 2 Pin 0.78mm IEM Cable Android for KZ ES4 ZS5 ZS6 ZSR ZST ZS10 ZS3(Silver-2P3.5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4DKHH1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_-SH0BbZH27SH5

Forbidden! Somebody say Forbidden!!?
metalhead_emoji_1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #38,653 of 99,906
So I have been tip rolling a bit more on the DMG tonight and it seems to me standard wider bored tips don't mesh well with the DMG. For my ears at least I have settled on the Sony MH1C tips.. From these earphones. Sony MH1c

Headfi vets know this earphone. I still own my pair. A discovery from years past. It is the tips of these that I only wish I could just buy somewhere but these are very rare to find. The only way to get these tips is if you can buy one of these earphones. In any case. What makes the tips from these earphones stand out is that they are not your garden variety Sony Hybrids. These sit longer on the nozzle than the Sony hybrids and this makes a world of difference. The material or silicone they use on these are rubbery and seal better in the ear than anything else I own.

My other go to earphone tips are the Spiral Dots, UE, and Symbio tips. You can buy these tips easily enough but not so much the MH1C tips. That is until now.

I posted about these a while ago but I thought I would post this here again. These are the Spinfit CP145

61%2BD1PaSTBL._SL1500_.jpg

So what separates these tips from your included tips. These sit longer on the nozzle. In fact I don't think I own a tip that actually sits longer on the nozzle. These come extremely close to the MH1c tips. Next time you guys are looking for a great tip to use on your phones especially the DMGs. Try these tips. Worth your $12 on Amazon to try a set. Good proper tips do make a difference. By the way make sure you try this particular CP145s. You can try the other model spin fits but.. These, these are special. The results of these tips. Deeper, cleaner better precision from Treble to bass. Again this is just my opinion but wider bored tips seems to exaggerate the treble bloating out the bass thinning the mids. Not real focused. Of course your results may vary since we all have different shaped ears. Again this is only on the DMGs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #38,654 of 99,906
As for why it is touchy, we can ask ourselves why burn-in (amongst the believers) is overwhelmingly regarded as a positive thing. If there is a change in the drivers, shouldn't it be natural that there will be just as many people hating the post-burn-in sound as there are people liking it? You realise all of a sudden we start getting into rather "aggressive" territory, even if the line of questioning I have isn't inherently so. I'm not trying to start a debate here, I'm saying that instead of hyper-focusing on a single aspect there should be a consideration of every other possibility that explains the phenomenon that you're observing. Don't shoehorn yourself into a single, small corner of the big picture.
Please ignore my rambling if it's coming off as an annoyance.

Above statement quite an interesting point. Why should burn-in always result in better perceived sound? One thing I would point out that has some relationship in regards to our brain and hearing senses. For example, when you use noise canceling headphones and take them off in the airplane, you hear tons of noise (There's actually 80 dB of noise!). In which you rightfully should. If not, your ears adjusts and get used to the noise due to your brain's adjustment or filtering. My point is that your brain is involved in perception, or what we sense wouldn't be perception at all. Just throwing this out there for thought.

Another point in regards to how objective our hearing is. When you compare two contrasting headphones when ear gets used to on signature and try on another, your perception gets thrown off due to ear's adjustment of signature. Our perception is not objective.

I just find that is important for us to be aware of the human side of things.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #38,655 of 99,906
Please ignore my rambling if it's coming off as an annoyance.

Above statement quite an interesting point. Why should burn-in always result in better perceived sound? One thing I would point out that has some relationship in regards to our brain and hearing senses. For example, when you use noise canceling headphones and take them off in the airplane, you hear tons of noise (There's actually 80 dB of noise!). In which you rightfully should. If not, your ears adjusts and get used to the noise due to your brain's adjustment or filtering. My point is that your brain is involved in perception, or what we sense wouldn't be perception at all. Just throwing this out there for thought.
Here is a quick rundown of manufacturer burn in r&d process. This can take years to finish, and explains why after burn in the sound almost always gets better.

https://www.edn.com/design/test-and...eening-improves-electronic-design-reliability

https://www.edn.com/design/integrated-circuit-design/4435976/Burn-in-101

Quote amanand88keys
  1. Any manufacturer worth their salt will test a prototype intensively before applying changes or putting it on the market. You don't just design a product and then go "sounds alright, let's sell it!". That simply never happens, unless you don't care about consistency, long-term reliability and your reputation. First you put the design through a (large) number of tests, which may later on also include extensive listening sessions for fine-tuning, and building several prototypes of the same generation to give them to individual testers that will use their own systems and report back with their findings. This is all very time consuming, which partially explains why you sometimes hear about new products that are in the making several years (!) before they hit the market. For the manufacturer it is therefore possible to gather actual, reliable knowledge about an eventual burn-in effect.
  2. Edit:::: Burn in is not an unforeseen prey to the gods and hope it works effect. It is a planned, foreseeable and designed for normal process and is to be expected with all mechanical and electrical equipment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back