The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Jan 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,712 of 9,815

Quote:
Is the HD-598 on the same level of the AH-D2000? I was under the impression AH-D2000 can compare on league with the HD-650 or maybe just wishful thinking on my part :)

For what it is worth, in my opinion the D2000 outperforms the HD555, but that is probably not to valid of a comparison; I wish I had known about the D2000 way back when I bought the HD555 as my first "high end" headphone; save a few bucks more and bought the D2000. :frowning2:

Oh my god. If I hadn't just bought myself a nice new home theater set up, I'd jump on the chance for some Denon D200s for ~$215.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,713 of 9,815
Other than bass I think the 598 bests the D2000 in almost every way. Detail, Soundstage, mids and highs. They feel about on par build quality wise (both have had different specific issues), and comfort is slightly better on the D2000, IMO.

Quote:
Is the HD-598 on the same level of the AH-D2000? I was under the impression AH-D2000 can compare on league with the HD-650 or maybe just wishful thinking on my part :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,714 of 9,815

Quote:

Great Deal! I am going to try this later today, hopefully they are still available. 

They would not sell to me the Denon AH-D2000 (J&R) for $199.  This is a your mileage may vary.  They claim that they need a store name, an authorized Denon dealer, to pricematch to.  Does anyone have a store name?  They admitted that they sold a few pair at this price this week but my rep would not do it.

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,715 of 9,815
J&R is really a strange place! I mean, I'm deadly curious what their internal policy/game they are playing is. I had the feeling they were stepping the price up $5 for each successive one of us that called all the way until they changed me $225... And now they are done. Maybe they do that thinking they can grab a few $ of a small group of friends and create hot-spots of small groups that promote them. I mean, I know I'm happy getting in on it and will pay more attention to their site from now.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,716 of 9,815

I ordered from Electronic Expo yesterday and sort of regret it now. The site seems all kinds of shady, I never received a confirmation email, and the order is still "processing". Can anyone confirm if they are even legit?

Quote:
check out the sennheiser hd-598 $169 + free shipping from J&R they'll do a price match from electronic expo... they're charging $163... but u gotta pay for shipping and the shipping from electronic expo sucks, so it'll take at least 2 weeks for u to get them... 

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,717 of 9,815

Quote:
J&R is really a strange place! I mean, I'm deadly curious what their internal policy/game they are playing is. I had the feeling they were stepping the price up $5 for each successive one of us that called all the way until they changed me $225... And now they are done. Maybe they do that thinking they can grab a few $ of a small group of friends and create hot-spots of small groups that promote them. I mean, I know I'm happy getting in on it and will pay more attention to their site from now.

NYC dealers are always shady to me. J&R was reputable, but anytime they make you call in, that's just code for trying to sell you extra stuff, Best Buy style.  We're not idiots.  If the price is $199, it should be $199 for all.  If they wish to make $199 just for the first 50 who call in, then say so. It's not like I am going to call in, hear it's no longer $199 and then go ahead and pay more and buy an extra warranty, etc.  I called in b/c J&R had the best price.  If they no longer do, I'm no longer going to buy from them.  I don't beg for business anymore.  Customer service is about managing expectations.  These pricing policies add an element of flea marketness to them, which is fine, but J&R should decide which they want to be--upscale retail or a flea market.  Posing as retail while enacting odd pricing and upselling you lessens their reputation in the long run, and I assume that businesses want to play the long game as opposed to the short game.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,718 of 9,815
Call in prices are about MAP.  Oftentimes sellers cannot sell below a certain price online, but if done over the phone it's not an "advertised price" so the manufacturer doesn't give the reseller problems.  It's actually very logical - manufacturers don't want there to be a perception among the public that an item is less expensive (and thus cheaper) than a certain price.  Perception is half the battle, especially in electronics.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,719 of 9,815
Haha how much sense does that even make any more since public forums make it clear that X item can be had for $Y with enough effort and hunting... I admit I made this purchase on perceived value at least in some degree. Since Amazon currently sells these $339, I feel I'm getting more value "stealing" these at $225 than if I went with models Amazon is currently selling $225-250ish.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,720 of 9,815
Forums are places for savvy consumers.  The brunt of the public still shops at local stores or on Amazon or eBay.  But i digress -  there are other reasons for having minimum advertised pricing - ensuring profits for both manufacturer and retailer among them.  This wiki will give you some cursory info if you are interested.  Your point about "feeling" about getting a deal is definitely true for some people.  Many stores will mark something as "$25, 50% off of $50" instead of just marking it $25 even though it is a perpetual "sale."  People like feeling like they got a deal.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #1,721 of 9,815

Quote:
I ordered from Electronic Expo yesterday and sort of regret it now. The site seems all kinds of shady, I never received a confirmation email, and the order is still "processing". Can anyone confirm if they are even legit?

I bought a Yamaha receiver from them 4 weeks ago, it took them 5 days to process & ship from day ordered.
Could also be the item you ordered is currently on backorder.
You could always send them an email an ask them for an update on your order.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,722 of 9,815

Not if you turn those Denons into open back, then it will destroy the 598 in every aspect...
Quote:
Other than bass I think the 598 bests the D2000 in almost every way. Detail, Soundstage, mids and highs. They feel about on par build quality wise (both have had different specific issues), and comfort is slightly better on the D2000, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back