The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Sep 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5,810 of 9,815
Well, it's hard to criticize an altoids tin, but the rest look nearly identical to me (plain black ovals/squares).

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #5,812 of 9,815
true headphiles wear a tube amp in the pocket of their dress shirt with fireproof lining

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5,813 of 9,815
Yeah..that's why I don't use silly IEMs with the thing. Hardly a fair review. Well, no wonder it scores so low with him (not that it actually does). Maybe next he can review a DT-990 600 ohm with an E5!
normal_smile%20.gif
He would have had similar issues when using a CMOY or PA2V2 with IEMs possibly. People really use powerful portable amps with an IEM? Weird. I'd never suggest an Airhead for IEMs.

Silly IEM?

If you take the time to actually read the review, you will notice I use 100ohm ER4S, 64ohm RE0, and 36ohm SE530 for the review. The actual test is covered by 16ohm dynamic load (CX300), as well as 25.5ohm and 47ohm fixed load. With cases like TBH (or TAH) that can't perform on 16ohm load, I actually use another 150ohm load (RE262) for a separated test. I have higher impedance IEM which I do use with all of these amp but never included officially. The range of impedance and load covered by the review represent some of the most typical of impedance you will find in the headphone world - these are real world, practical impedance (from 16ohm to 150ohm) that most user will use on their portable amp, whether it is an IEM or a full size headphone doesn't make any difference.

The fact that TBH, an $150 amp/dac having rather mediocre measurement result compared to the similar price, but cheaper D-zero (which also not specifically designed for IEM) doesn't really require my opinion to show that it is over-priced for what it does. If D-zero can perform just as well in 16ohm as in 150ohm, why can't TBH? What kind of silly idea is that?

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #5,816 of 9,815
Quote:
Silly IEM?
If you take the time to actually read the review, you will notice I use 100ohm ER4S, 64ohm RE0, and 36ohm SE530 for the review. The actual test is covered by 16ohm dynamic load (CX300), as well as 25.5ohm and 47ohm fixed load. With cases like TBH (or TAH) that can't perform on 16ohm load, I actually use another 150ohm load (RE262) for a separated test. I have higher impedance IEM which I do use with all of these amp but never included officially. The range of impedance and load covered by the review represent some of the most typical of impedance you will find in the headphone world - these are real world, practical impedance (from 16ohm to 150ohm) that most user will use on their portable amp, whether it is an IEM or a full size headphone doesn't make any difference.
The fact that TBH, an $150 amp/dac having rather mediocre measurement result compared to the similar price, but cheaper D-zero (which also not specifically designed for IEM) doesn't really require my opinion to show that it is over-priced for what it does. If D-zero can perform just as well in 16ohm as in 150ohm, why can't TBH? What kind of silly idea is that?

I don't really have any interest in your review myself. I read that last year and stopped at about the part where the E5 was listed as having more power output than the Total Airhead. Maybe with a lower impedance headphone, but it's hardly fair and rather misleading to people. I see you listed it as I think 2/5 for power(!!!), but instead just chose to put a disclaimer.

Seriously, the E11, E5 and E7 having more power output than the Total Airhead? Is that a joke? Let's see any of these try to drive an HD-600 or Q701 and see how well that does. An E5 or E6 isn't much better than the internal amp of my Sansa Clip+. Trying to drive even the HD-600 with an E11 is good for a laugh. Sure it can sound OK. Yeah..I know people generally don't use portable amps with the HD-600 or most full size headphones. I do and that's why I bought the Airhead.

A few months back i've read that the roll off of the bass on the Total Bithead only occurs when used with the USB connection and the Total Airhead should not have this issue. I'll see if I can find the old graphs of this. Sure, maybe with a 16ohm IEM. Maybe you have actual proof it's the amp itself and not the USB connection. Maybe this is just what you heard.

If I used IEMs I'd probably skip the Airhead. It sure is nice being able to use my HD-600 and Q701 around the house when needed. None of my Fiio amps can do that.

I find it really offensive that the E11 is listed as being nearly as neutral as the Airhead
biggrin.gif
I mean that thing can't even retain the stock signature of my DJ100 or HD-598. Too colored and sucks the life out of the mids and makes it sound muffled. I think the E5 is a little better for those headphones. Same goes for the E9. All about synergy I guess, but with amps I don't want to have to worry about that. With the Airhead I don't.

So far the Airhead has handled everything i've thrown at it. I don't use IEMs though. Even does well with my 38ohm DJ100 and KRKs. Even impressed with how well it drives my HD-580 and Q701. Then the fact it can drive a 600ohm headphone to decent volume levels. Not that i'd suggest a 600 ohm headphone for it!!

If there's a better portable amp under $100 that can drive my HD-600 and Q701 even better than the Airhead, please point it out. Maybe a PA2V2, but I haven't heard it yet.

Also, the Airhead is only $100. Maybe you should point out you reviewed the Bithead and you should verify if the bass rolloff is due to the USB connection or a 16ohm load using it without USB. I'll try to dig up those graphs. It surprised me too. Don't have anything under 16ohm at the moment. It's nice that the D-Zero is so much cheaper and better, but unfortunately I do think it does cost more for US built products. I don't mind. There's plenty of other Chinese built amps for people to buy for cheaper (I have nothing against the Chinese). I prefer to buy US built amps myself and there's not a ton of companies making portable amps here under $100.

EDIT: Total Bithead is down -1db at 34hz with USB, guess with analog input it's -1db at 18hz. It's listed as 20hz-20khz. What's interesting is that it uses the same opamp as the E11 and Mini3, but they couldn't sound any more different!

Here's a review with measurements:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/headroom-total-bithead-headphone-amplifier-measurements

Claims it's output impedance is 0.3 ohm. Not sure if that's right. Seems almost too low. 6 Moons says 1.7ohm. If this is true, then your claims might not be accurate. I guess this no longer makes it a amp with a high output impedance? I always thought it was 5 ohm or so myself.

Also.. the only time I heard hissing with my Airhead in maybe 4 years is with the Triple Fi 10 IEM. Not even positive on this. If you heard it than I believe you.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #5,819 of 9,815
 I don't really have any interest in your review myself. I read that last year and stopped at about the part where the E5 was listed as having more power output than the Total Airhead. Maybe with a lower impedance headphone, but it's hardly fair and rather misleading to people.

Seriously, the E11, E5 and E7 having more power output than the Total Airhead? Is that a joke?...

See, as I have said, you didn't read it careful enough.

As I have pointed out on that review, the test was carried out by comparing them how much current the amp can deliver into the same fixed 25.5ohm and 47ohm load (as voltage is fixed), then it is just a matter of voltage x current = power. It is how much power an amp can drive into the same fixed load, and THB isn't particularly good at it.

Anyway, I stop read right around when I stop quoting, doesn't seem to have much of a point since we are not even talking about the same thing... If you like TBH, good for you. I am out. :wink:

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5,820 of 9,815
Quote:
Total Airhead (best portable amp on earth for under $100 IMO) for $49.00 (regular $100 and worth every penny)

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-airhead.php

The guys at Headroom are nuts for selling it at $49. No, I don't work for them obviously. I just like their amps..

BTW the Airhead can even drive my Q701 and HD-600. Lets see the E11 do that..

dangit, had to hit this too. Probably loads better than the E6 though.

Got so much stuff in the mail this week.... XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back