The Deals Thread (CLOSED! See the last post for the link to the new thread)
Sep 24, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #5,821 of 9,815
I love my Total Bithead Amp, drives all  my higher ohm and harder to drive  over the ear cans really well. It does have a High Gain, Low Gain switch that I never saw mentioned in the sub $100 shootout but I very rarely use IEMs but when I use lower impedance cans I use the low gain switch. Sounds pretty goodl.. I get where people can not like the appearance too. Me, I love the rubber cap easy to take off, no screws so I can change batteries or switch from High to Low gain. For 50 bucks it seems like a decent deal to me. There are a lot of reviews on the net  check them out before you buy , I did. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #5,822 of 9,815
Quote:
See, as I have said, you didn't read it careful enough.
As I have pointed out on that review, the test was carried out by comparing them how much current the amp can deliver into the same fixed 25.5ohm and 47ohm load (as voltage is fixed), then it is just a matter of voltage x current = power. It is how much power an amp can drive into the same fixed load, and THB isn't particularly good at it.
Anyway, I stop read right around when I stop quoting, doesn't seem to have much of a point since we are not even talking about the same thing... If you like TBH, good for you. I am out.
wink.gif

I only am pointing out all this nonsense because you may be claiming things about an amp that are possibly not true or very accurate. Despite what you say, it's still somewhat misleading in a way. I'll get confirmation of the real output impedance of the Airhead. I wonder how many people really skipped out on the Airhead after seeing your review because they thought it would be terrible for their lower impedance devices or get confused and think it actually has less power (overall) than an E5.

Sorry, but if the Airhead really is 0.3 ohm output and you listed it originally as 9 ohm output, that's just a bit wrong to do. I'm sure Headroom would have given you the info.

I actually have the Airhead not bithead. My opinion would probably change with IEMs. But I guess maybe it's actually fine with them now that it might actually have a 0.3 ohm output impedance.

Anyway, not as big of a deal as I make it out to be. I suggest editing your review to give the Airhead a power output rating of 10 stars out of 5. I believe this to be fairly accurate. Who needs a WA22 when you have the Airhead!!

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #5,824 of 9,815
Quote:
Shure SRH*40 on sale..

https://www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/closeout-shure-srh240/

BTW: im still waiting for HD650 to arrive. must be delay in custom.

Is there something up with customs to Canada? I had my DAC1 PRE stuck there for weeks until I finally got them a few days ago. This is definitely not normal for me, my previous DAC1 took almost no time at customs at all. Has anyone else had any problems with customs in the past month or so?

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #5,825 of 9,815
I think It's the luck of the draw, a buddy of mine had a few lasers he ordered sit in a Mississauga depot for almost 2 weeks, and a box of parts from HK come right through.

Random checks I think... Like any other government office, they don't work very quickly.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #5,828 of 9,815
I only am pointing out all this nonsense because you may be claiming things about an amp that are possibly not true or very accurate. Despite what you say, it's still somewhat misleading in a way. I'll get confirmation of the real output impedance of the Airhead. I wonder how many people really skipped out on the Airhead after seeing your review because they thought it would be terrible for their lower impedance devices or get confused and think it actually has less power (overall) than an E5.

Sorry, but if the Airhead really is 0.3 ohm output and you listed it originally as 9 ohm output, that's just a bit wrong to do. I'm sure Headroom would have given you the info.

I actually have the Airhead not bithead. My opinion would probably change with IEMs. But I guess maybe it's actually fine with them now that it might actually have a 0.3 ohm output impedance.

Anyway, not as big of a deal as I make it out to be. I suggest editing your review to give the Airhead a power output rating of 10 stars out of 5. I believe this to be fairly accurate. Who needs a WA22 when you have the Airhead!!

I use a very established method to measure and calculate the output impedance of all the amps I reviewed. It is calculated by measuring the unload(V) and loaded voltage(VL) with a known fixed resistance load(RL). The result is calculated from them. The formula is given as follow:

Zo = [RL ( V-VL )] / VL

Just so you know, I use the same method to calculate JDS's C421's output impedance and find out it is much higher than what JDS has listed in spec. I ran the result as well as the testing method through JDS (and John @ JDS is an electric engineer himself), which he later confirms that my result is correct and his simulation is incorrect (which is what his original output impedance rating was based on). There is a real difference between what is claimed, and what is measured.

Also, since you don't bother to read my review, the output impedance of TBH has been recalculated at 5,4ohm months ago after I get a better multimeter (which gives me more precise measurement). The new result has been updated in my thread for months, but I guess you wouldn't know. Just to be sure, I remeasure it a couple of times (even at different frequency) to confirm the latest number is correct. Still it is not a particularly low number, certainly not 0.3ohm. If HeadRoom really feels strongly that my measurement is incorrect and able to show me how the method I used is inadequate, I welcome the correction and fully apologize for what I have posted. Until then, the review will stay as they are.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #5,829 of 9,815
Quote:
I use a very established method to measure and calculate the output impedance of all the amps I reviewed. It is calculated by measuring the unload(V) and loaded voltage(VL) with a known fixed resistance load(RL). The result is calculated from them. The formula is given as follow:
Zo = [RL ( V-VL )] / VL
Just so you know, I use the same method to calculate JDS's C421's output impedance and find out it is much higher than what JDS has listed in spec. I ran the result as well as the testing method through JDS (and John @ JDS is an electric engineer himself), which he later confirms that my result is correct and his simulation is incorrect (which is what his original output impedance rating was based on). There is a real difference between what is claimed, and what is measured.
Also, since you don't bother to read my review, the output impedance of TBH has been recalculated at 5,4ohm months ago after I get a better multimeter (which gives me more precise measurement). The new result has been updated in my thread for months, but I guess you wouldn't know. Just to be sure, I remeasure it a couple of times (even at different frequency) to confirm the latest number is correct. Still it is not a particularly low number, certainly not 0.3ohm. If HeadRoom really feels strongly that my measurement is incorrect and able to show me how the method I used is inadequate, I welcome the correction and fully apologize for what I have posted. Until then, the review will stay as they are.

I knew you had changed it from 9 to 5.4. I did read that part. I got a confirmation from Headroom it has an output impedance of 2 ohms. I only asked them because I was curious.
Not a big deal for me and 2-5 ohm is OK. I'm still confused how Stereophile got 0.3 ohm!

If you did get bass roll-off on a 16 ohm load, then I believe you. I just had to question if that was when using it through USB or the analog input.

It's highly unlikely to occur on most non iems. People these days even claim the 10 ohm output impedance of the E9 will magically ruin the sound of my 38 ohm headphone. This can't be any further from the truth. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't been able to create this issue.

Other than the E5, I think the E9 is really the only Fiio Amp I'm a fan of. E11 is so-so and the E10 I hated. Despite the bass roll-off on the E5, I love it's sound signature.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,833 of 9,815
Indeed. Any further discussion about my amp review is welcomed in that thread. I am not going to continue further here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back