Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #800 of 2,336
Mine arrived. I noticed 3 clear holes on the back going through to the driver on each.  There is, I think, more bass and the treble is a tad less peaky, but I could be wrong.  The pinpoint image placement I get is still there and instruments still sound glorious. I've only been listening to jazz for the most part so far though.

Edit: Rhydon did send me a long email, and he is in it for the long haul, especially focussed on designing a product with the best quality possible, according to him.  

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #801 of 2,336
So I have reassembled my Magnums lites and have recabled them with Vampire PCOCC. Because of the recable and the fact that Rhydon took so long with the new drivers, I can't make any comparison with the v1 drivers except that one thing I noticed was that the v1 drivers sounded a lot better with flats but my preliminary impression is that the v2 drivers sound a lot better with Bowls.

Overall, I'm still very impressed with the Magnums but will need more listening time to form a more definite opinion. For the $300-400 required for the Magnum lite, these are a superb deal. It's a shame that I can't recommend anyone order one because of the inevitable delay.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #802 of 2,336
Hey, I noticed this too - where the V1 sounded thin and bright with the bowls the V2 actually sound better with the bowls.
I have really been enjoying my music collection with these phones. The less bright treble (is it more balanced?) actually suits me.
I think at some point I will need to see how these scale with better source and amp.

Quote:
So I have reassembled my Magnums lites and have recabled them with Vampire PCOCC. Because of the recable and the fact that Rhydon took so long with the new drivers, I can't make any comparison with the v1 drivers except that one thing I noticed was that the v1 drivers sounded a lot better with flats but my preliminary impression is that the v2 drivers sound a lot better with Bowls.

Overall, I'm still very impressed with the Magnums but will need more listening time to form a more definite opinion. For the $300-400 required for the Magnum lite, these are a superb deal. It's a shame that I can't recommend anyone order one because of the inevitable delay.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #803 of 2,336
I third the flats/bowls comments.  The tone has moved closer to that of the HF-1, which was spot-on for me.  Probably as a result of the change in the back-ports behind the diaphragm, just the right amount of bass has been dialled in, without overdoing it, and the treble has been dialled back to the point that it still sounds nice and open and not muffled, without either being excessively peaky.  They are still utterly ruthless in detail and reproduce instruments incredibly well.  I'll update my review at some point once I've used them for a few weeks.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #804 of 2,336
I agree the V2 improvement favours the bowls over the flats.  The magnums are now more listenable with bowls than before.  More full bodied sounding and a little less bright.  One thing I've noticed with flats is that the bass now sounds a little blouted with bass heavy music.  Oddly, I do not mind this because of the more full bodied sound this new V2 magnum driver produces over the V1.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #807 of 2,336

Quote:
I agree the V2 improvement favours the bowls over the flats.  The magnums are now more listenable with bowls than before.  More full bodied sounding and a little less bright.  One thing I've noticed with flats is that the bass now sounds a little blouted with bass heavy music.  Oddly, I do not mind this because of the more full bodied sound this new V2 magnum driver produces over the V1.

Hello, could you tell me the differences between new v2 drivers and grado hp-2?
many thanks
aldo

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #808 of 2,336

This sucks,  I thought were we all going to be able to afford HP-1s.  Too bad.
Quote:

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #809 of 2,336
The bass increase is likely due to the open ports on the back of the drivers.  I'm sure this is easily tweak-able so that they are usable with flats.  Rhydon seems reluctant to talk about the technical details of his design, which is a pity, as a description from him of the V1/V2 differences is badly needed, even if it is easy enough to figure out a lot of it.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #810 of 2,336

The bass increase is likely due to the open ports on the back of the drivers.  I'm sure this is easily tweak-able so that they are usable with flats.  Rhydon seems reluctant to talk about the technical details of his design, which is a pity, as a description from him of the V1/V2 differences is badly needed, even if it is easy enough to figure out a lot of it.

Doubt Rhydon will release any info on the new drivers. He was pretty silent on V1...doesn't his website say something along the lines of 'the proof is in the pudding'.

I don't have any Grados with me bar the MS1 (old version). There are two holes on the back of the driver (each clearly labelled Grado 32). Can anyone comment on other Grado drivers? Just speculating here as Rhydon was pretty active in tracking down old HP drivers and thinks that current Grado drivers are made by a third party.

Rhydon gets his drivers made by third party...so go
figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back