Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jul 25, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #826 of 2,336
I did something different just now...I put jumbo pads on them! That's something you couldn't do with the V1 drivers unless you wanted a poor-man's Qualia (ie: treble, treble and more treble).  Seems to be fine with jazz so far, for me at least.  Arguably a bit bright, but this works well on my system.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #827 of 2,336
Looks like mine with the v1 drivers are very attractive now? 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #828 of 2,336

Quote:
Unless there are other changes, the changes are just tonal.  With some tracks, the extra bass is good, with some it's a bit too much. The happy medium would have been somewhere in between I reckon. 

Whoa, aren't we all not giving time for the cans to burn-in and for the bass to settle?

Or maybe we can wait for V3. :)

Quote:
Looks like mine with the v1 drivers are very attractive now? 
rolleyes.gif

Or they could be a candidate for future $120 upgrades... :wink:

Wonder how many people kept their V1 Magnums...

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #830 of 2,336

Quote:
Or they could be a candidate for future $120 upgrades... :wink:

Wonder how many people kept their V1 Magnums...

The only way these are going to Rhydon for any work is via a different owner which I'd still be happy to see come into being.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #831 of 2,336
I'm not getting sibilance with the jumbo pads, but I get the feeling that it's boosted a very high treble peak, somewhere above 10k. The mid-bass is still too strong.  Deep bass, regardless of pads, is rolled off. I think Rhydon would have been better off not attempting to fix what wasn't broken. I imagine he got people saying there wasn't enough bass, and now, arguably, has gone a bit too far in the wrong direction, as you can't change pads as you could do with the V1s to get your preferred balance.  I'm going back to bowls though.  They are a fantastic jazz 'phone for me.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #833 of 2,336
I'm surprised on the reviews of the V2 so far, how is the soundstage compared to V1 and stock Grados?

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #834 of 2,336

Would it be easy to plug one of the holes temporarily to see what that does?

Probably not hard to do.

Besides the holes, are there any further differences between v1 and 2? At least cosmetically? I would imagine Rhydon replaced the drivers entirely...or did he just put holes into them?

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #837 of 2,336

Quote:
What V3 drivers are these?

It's a joke.

Hey Currawong, since you took out and took pics of the V1 drivers and received V2 drivers, can you tell if there are further differences aside from the holes?

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #840 of 2,336

With the amount of time taken on his end, surely there are differences beyond the holes?

Without actually opening the drivers, we won't know. Everything done externally is just driver doping.

Wouldn't it be funny of they were similar drivers to, say, the MS1?

When I get home to my pair in Aug, I'm going to do comparisons with the MS1, MS2, HF1, HF2. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back