Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jan 31, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #1,996 of 2,336

Quote:
I had the HF-2 and sold them after A/B ing with the magnums. I am not sure what budget you have but I think my HE-6 is a great compliment. By the way I also have the LCD-2 (rev 1 though). The problem is that the Magnum's do everything that a grado does but better. Mind you I have not heard the RS series. You can always get another Magnum driver in all wood which would be similar to the RS series but better. 
Sorry Grado you need to improve your drivers, the bar has been raised.

Yeah, people only buys Grado to mod the heck out of them. In the end it's not even about Grado anymore... the only ones who still enjoy stock pairs without always thinking or changing the pads or finding a way to improve them are basically the ones owning the PS1 and HP1-2-3 legends and the discontinued pink transitional vintages... because they do not sound like the way newer Grado sounds.

More and more I see people having Magnums... I can't wait till summer when it'll be my turn to make the acquisition of one pair.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #1,997 of 2,336

Quote:
Yeah, people only buys Grado to mod the heck out of them. In the end it's not even about Grado anymore... the only ones who still enjoy stock pairs without always thinking or changing the pads or finding a way to improve them are basically the ones owning the PS1 and HP1-2-3 legends and the discontinued pink transitional vintages... because they do not sound like the way newer Grado sounds.

More and more I see people having Magnums... I can't wait till summer when it'll be my turn to make the acquisition of one pair.

don´t forget that exist an improved version of the hp-1000 series but is expensive

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #1,998 of 2,336

Quote:
I had the HF-2 and sold them after A/B ing with the magnums. I am not sure what budget you have but I think my HE-6 is a great compliment. By the way I also have the LCD-2 (rev 1 though). The problem is that the Magnum's do everything that a grado does but better. Mind you I have not heard the RS series. You can always get another Magnum driver in all wood which would be similar to the RS series but better. 
Sorry Grado you need to improve your drivers, the bar has been raised.

If you have not heard the RS series, then how can you justify your claim that Magnum is better than a Grado?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,999 of 2,336
I have heard both the HP 1000 and the PS 1000 as well as having owned the HF-2 for six months. As far as I know the RS has the same drivers as the HF and HP (and I suspect the PS). Also over the last few months I have heard many different cups in wood, aluminum and plastic with the magnum drivers.

I can tell you first hand that you will not improve the performance of the Grado driver beyond the Magnum driver by placing it in wood. With good recording the Magnum driver is superior in all respects; bass impact, instrument separation, clarity of background, detail retrieval.... 

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2,000 of 2,336

Quote:
I have heard both the HP 1000 and the PS 1000 as well as having owned the HF-2 for six months. As far as I know the RS has the same drivers as the HF and HP (and I suspect the PS). Also over the last few months I have heard many different cups in wood, aluminum and plastic with the magnum drivers.

I can tell you first hand that you will not improve the performance of the Grado driver beyond the Magnum driver by placing it in wood. With good recording the Magnum driver is superior in all respects; bass impact, instrument separation, clarity of background, detail retrieval.... 

i agree with you.
i had the ps-1000, the hp-1000 and the hf-2
biggrin.gif

but i think that the drivers of the rs series are different.
the driver of the hf-2 is the same of the 325.
the driver of the ps-1000 is anew driver.
the driver of the hp-1000 is another history

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #2,001 of 2,336

Quote:

The RS doesn't have the same driver than the HP.

feckn_eejit here sold me (sold to kite7, sold to snapple10, sold to drhooon, sold to me, back in Canada) his old favored headphone, a Grado RS1 he has owned a listened to quite a lot during four years (he told me). He sold it when he received and burned his SR325 magnum v2.. here are various quotes :

(private chat, we were talking about the RS1#1059 I had just purchased)
"I sold them not long after I got my SR325 Magnum-modified--there was no comparison, the Symphones were the better headphone by a considerable margin.  There is no area where the Magnums don't beat the RS1.  "

"My SR-X Mk.III/Pros have been The Benchmark since their arrival last year, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable shootout... based on how handily these trounce my RS1s in detail and texture (and no fatigue at stupid volume...), I'm worried for the Stax..." 

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2,002 of 2,336

That's a surprise since the 2 have such radically different descriptions.
Quote:
the driver of the hf-2 is the same of the 325.

Yea, I wasn't looking to replace the magnums and I like the sound so it would probably make more sense to try a whole new line of headphones instead of another grado.  Or just forget about it.  Too bad I just missed a local meet - I could have found my next hp.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #2,003 of 2,336

Quote:
Quote:

The RS doesn't have the same driver than the HP.

feckn_eejit here sold me (sold to kite7, sold to snapple10, sold to drhooon, sold to me, back in Canada) his old favored headphone, a Grado RS1 he has owned a listened to quite a lot during four years (he told me). He sold it when he received and burned his SR325 magnum v2.. here are various quotes :

(private chat, we were talking about the RS1#1059 I had just purchased)
"I sold them not long after I got my SR325 Magnum-modified--there was no comparison, the Symphones were the better headphone by a considerable margin.  There is no area where the Magnums don't beat the RS1.  "

"My SR-X Mk.III/Pros have been The Benchmark since their arrival last year, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable shootout... based on how handily these trounce my RS1s in detail and texture (and no fatigue at stupid volume...), I'm worried for the Stax..." 

I used to own the SR-5NB Gold, which use the same drivers as the SR-X MK.III. The later Lambda models are more detailed, but I also felt that the Magnums had reached the kind of capability that vintage Stax cans have, if the presentation is different.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #2,004 of 2,336
I have the Symphones magnum V3.5 and V4.
I think both of them are excellent headphones, very similar.
The sound signature are more like the RS1 (I have both the RS1 vintage
button, black headband, pink driver and RS1 semivintage).  The Symphones
magnums are different than the PS1, HP1000/HP1, HP1000/HP2 (Vixen modification
by Larry Dale @headphile.com).  Which are more preferable depends on the genre
of the music and the user.  The PS1 , HP1000 has better detail , soundstage, natural
while the vintage RS1 has sweet , mellow mid that few headphones can match.  However
the Symphones magnum are  better in my opinion as they have sweet mid and balanced
in all frequencies so they are kinda smooth flowing.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,007 of 2,336
So I've been reading this thread for a while and I finally got my magnums from Rhydon after sending in my vintage sr325s and even though they are still burning in, I can say that they were worth thwe
money!! So here are some pics I took

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,008 of 2,336
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,010 of 2,336
Love the vintage cups, they are so much smaller than the new ones. 

Tell me about the headband, I can only use my V4's for 2hrs or so before the top of my head hurts from the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back