Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,026 of 2,336

Quote:

Why don't you tell him the price already... Rhydon has better things to do and he must have answered it more than 10 times already. Make it public everyone will know for good. This will save Rhydon a hassle.

According to the website yes, an 399.99, officially, only if you're a Head-Fier (if not, what are you waiting for, register, lol).

If not it happens to not be priced at 399.99, then it's fake advertisement and you have the right to ask for the price you have seen (well at least it is like that at regular shops).

Haha sorry I didn't know the price - I've never bought the whole shebang just the drivers. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2,027 of 2,336
Email Rhydon directly and he will give you prices, as far as I know I didn't mention anything about head-fi when I asked for prices and they were the same anyhow, it's just getting in touch with him, that's all.  And also you can pick and choose what pair of headphones (that he's got already or can acquire to make it cost a bit less) to mod etc.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #2,028 of 2,336

Quote:
I can also get a quicker response from members who purchased the full treatment.  I wasn't relying on Rhydon posting in this thread.

Yes $400 for the full Magnum mod: new gimbals, new rods, new drivers, new inner cups. The only things remain are the outer cups and the leather headband. You will get the old gimbals, old rods, old drivers and old inner cups sent back. And of course you have to pay for shipping both ways. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2,032 of 2,336
I only have MS2i brushed shells in hope of one day asking to be made a fully silver Magnum out of them, with a black metal buttons in their center. Maybe black gimbals I don't know if I can just ask like that for any parts.

Anodized "shells"? Rhydon will make your silver SR325, i, or is shells black? I think he only makes gimbals, rod points, inners and driver walls black.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #2,033 of 2,336

Quote:
I only have MS2i brushed shells in hope of one day asking to be made a fully silver Magnum out of them, with a black metal buttons in their center. Maybe black gimbals I don't know if I can just ask like that for any parts.

Anodized "shells"? Rhydon will make your silver SR325, i, or is shells black? I think he only makes gimbals, rod points, inners and driver walls black.

Like that ?

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #2,035 of 2,336

Quote:
Like that ?

I think these were black SR325s originally. What t-crisis asked for was to get black anodization on silver/gold SR325xy shells, if I understood well. And I don't know if Rhydon would accept doing that.

Very nice pair PCF! It looks very good and classy. And bike rider at the same time. On the picture there is the right M that looks like it has been engraved and then filled, or finished on the interior.

I also ask for a naked picture! ^^

I just unboxed my black John Grado SR325 and pink SR200. I will proceed to hear them after that meal I'm taking.

The SR325 looks brand new. The cheese clothes are SO WHITE. Judging by that aspect, they look totally unused (in comparison to my barely used SR325i for example)... even though the lettering is only 90-95% there and the cable is slightly twisted.

Also, I'm happy to see with my own eyes that the SR200 has AT LEAST one pink driver, hehehe. I will hear them and confirm it to you guys here. It is because one of the cheese clothes was replaced at Grado... the driver itself, under the clothe, wasn't replaced, as told by the seller... so I should be good to go.

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,036 of 2,336
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593590/quick-thread-done-thank-you-grado-pink-transition-driver-judge-expert-required#post_8107581

Okay with bowls I don't like the SR200 very much. I will need to play a little more but I am sure I will find a pad or a combination of pads that would fit him well. I feel like the extension is just not there and it sounds hollow. It is only good at doing a few sounds and frequency bands. I won't go to say it sounds like a cheap headphone because cheap headphones are uniformly bad at doing everything... everything they do bad they do it equally bad. My SR200 has some qualities that I need reveal, a potential... I remember I pretty much felt the same way (thought it wasn't this pronounced) for my SR100/HP 1000 when I first listened to it. I will apply the HD414-Bowl pads sandwich treatment and I might have a huge surprise, just like it did to my SR100 I now love and prefer over all of my other headphones.

I might try a HD414-flat sandwich, or a ear side out HD414 with flats... I need to get bass extension, this headphone doesn't feel powerful at all. High extension is not so bad! That's the area where I believe this headphone has qualities.

My black SR325 definitely look brand new. Not a single grain of dust anywhere to be found, not inside the cube, none in the gimbals' cavity. The cups are very hard to rotate, I could almost hold the  headphone horizontally by one cup and it would stay in place, the exact opposite of my SR200. All of the ABS plastic parts looks sweaty and oily, I think it looks great. You can notice this effect when comparing the plastic gimbals of both my new headphones. Speaking of which both of them have textured plastic instead of strictly matte like my SR100. I prefer none, I'm only pointing out a difference.

My black SR325 is overly bassy, and I'm about to become tired of it already, and returning to my SR100. Lol no joke I can't believe it is so thumpy, and not too tight either. This headphone would sell well at Futureshop for its bass. I hear even bass drum lines so clearly, there's definitely a dB spike around this area of the spectrum. Extension is okay. I will try to used them the most I can and loud, for them to burn in a little. Curious old headphone that looks brand new. I would have been curious to see the box of it but I had no boxes this time around :frowning2:. At it least it got me a rebate.

Oh yeah, brand new but the cable is fairly twisted.

Both bowls set that came on the phones are of a previous generation of Grado pads. They are more spongy, dense and more comfortable, but not strong enough to hold the ear off the driver wall for long enough. They are easily disfigured and takes a lot of time to find back their proper round and full shape. On my RS1 this is process is instantaneous I simply can't denature it.

None of the two pads sets are decomposing themselves yay!

The Y on my SR325 has to G L logo embossed, it's blank. First time I see that.

A few, picture coming soon.

People say "White lettering" personally, under the lesser lights of my dorm room, I find it more silvery than any white.

Overall I prefer the SR200. More balanced. The SR325 is just so bassy... maybe a triple sandwich would help him, or a set of bagels.

I never expected these to sound so different! It really is fun to delve in the Grado attic.

My SR200 DEFINITELY has at least one pink driver. The cheese cloth appears very pink to me now. My seller's picture were doing justice to the pinkness of this one.

I try to decipher presence of a driver mismatch and I can't seem to find any discordant impressions in the sound signature. At first I thought there was one but it faded away. Must have been a psychologically induced sensation.

Yeah, I definitely see potential in this SR200... I don't know what to say or think about my SR325, lol.

Oh wait hey, and I wanted to ask. My left driver on my SR200 has some kind of crack in the middle white/green-yellowish tinted dome. Actually I don't think it's a crack of the dome itself but more some kind of thick hair stuck under the diaphragm. Anyone has an idea of what it could be? A stray copper fibre? It does appear a bit orange.

Doesn't seem to affect the sound either. It just looks bad under that magnificent pink driver :/.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #2,037 of 2,336

Quote:

I think these were black SR325s originally. What t-crisis asked for was to get black anodization on silver/gold SR325xy shells, if I understood well. And I don't know if Rhydon would accept doing that.

Very nice pair PCF! It looks very good and classy. And bike rider at the same time. On the picture there is the right M that looks like it has been engraved and then filled, or finished on the interior.

I also ask for a naked picture! ^^

I just unboxed my black John Grado SR325 and pink SR200. I will proceed to hear them after that meal I'm taking.

The SR325 looks brand new. The cheese clothes are SO WHITE. Judging by that aspect, they look totally unused (in comparison to my barely used SR325i for example)... even though the lettering is only 90-95% there and the cable is slightly twisted.

Also, I'm happy to see with my own eyes that the SR200 has AT LEAST one pink driver, hehehe. I will hear them and confirm it to you guys here. It is because one of the cheese clothes was replaced at Grado... the driver itself, under the clothe, wasn't replaced, as told by the seller... so I should be good to go.

My black Magnum were indeed originally black SR325. I am not sure there are good reasons to spend extra money on doing the same thing to silver/gold 325s though. You might as well buy some more music instead.
By the way, don't worry about the colour of the cheese cloth, they were never pink to start off with. Put some flats on both of your vintage Grados and enjoy them!

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,039 of 2,336

Users who are viewing this thread

Back