Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Feb 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,058 of 2,336
I also love the comfy pads. I did cut a hole in the middle for it to work more like flats.

I am really enjoying the valour pads from AKG for my magnums though. What I do is tape the Bowls to the valor pads and now my entire ears fit right in. IT's also super comfortable and the distance(depth) of the bowls have these liberator's effect. The sound stage improves, and the bass sounds like they got more textures. 

I really like the AKG pads much more than the G-Pads. I tried those a few years back, tried a tons of mod on them, but eventually had to give up: ( 

The pads really make a big difference to all the Grados. Be courageous and keep trying, then you'll find the perfect combinations.

SO right now, my preference is the AKG valor pads than Comfies with holes in the middle, and lastly bowls.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,059 of 2,336

Quote:

My Magnums arrived! I haven't listened to them yet, as I am planning to let them burn in for a while. I also uploaded an unboxing video  CHECK IT OUT!

I needed to click twice on your link to be able to watch it.

Sorry but your left cup isn't positioned / rotated like Grado positions / rotates them (to put the text nicely and readily readable), for example, on your right cup.

This is weird and obviously a detail Rhydon forgot to ensure because one usually one wants his headphone to look good and symmetrical. We also need to be able to read "THE PRESTIGE SERIES" "GRADO LABS" with out head held upright.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #2,062 of 2,336
Excuse me, but what plastic ring are you guys referring to? 
confused.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2,065 of 2,336
     Quote:
It's the beyerdynamic dt770 headband. The level of comfort is really good, in fact the only reason I can't listen to them longer than 3 hrs is because of the L-cush pads since they are relatively new. In terms of looks the headband is ok, I've been thinking about getting jmoney headband just for the better look, but their website is not working. So, in level of comfort I would recommend it and it's also relatively cheap. 

You might want to take a look at the Manta leather headbands here: http://headphonelounge.com/products/grado-headbands/

Just got my black ones in today and they make a huuuuge difference in comfort level. The top of my skull used to start hurting after half an hour with my Magnumized MS2i with the old headband but no more. Also received them pretty quickly considering they came all the way from Malaysia.

Although what happened to Jmoney anyway? Is he still around? The website's been down for awhile now...

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #2,067 of 2,336

Quote:
     Quote:

You might want to take a look at the Manta leather headbands here: http://headphonelounge.com/products/grado-headbands/

Just got my black ones in today and they make a huuuuge difference in comfort level. The top of my skull used to start hurting after half an hour with my Magnumized MS2i with the old headband but no more. Also received them pretty quickly considering they came all the way from Malaysia.

Although what happened to Jmoney anyway? Is he still around? The website's been down for awhile now...

I have heard somewhere here that Jmoney went to a vacation without his computer or internet (which is highly dubious)... and since he hasn't come back he doesn't know about what happened to his website yet.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2,068 of 2,336
I am thinking about buying metal inners from Rhydon (he does sell Magnums drivers separately, so why not about only the inners) to replace the plastic inners of my SR325i or SR325.

How do you guys think it would sound? Good? Was this ever done before, or an idea considered?

All metal Grado modding/making has been done often over here but I couldn't find any impressions about their sound using the stock Grado drivers of the lower end of the prestige series (most often times)... would mine sound like a PS1? Rhydon could surely answer that question he's got to be the guy the most experienced on earth about the Grado drivers comboed to full metal Grado headphone bodies.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,069 of 2,336

Quote:
Interesting...wouldn't the s-cush/comfies be pretty much the same as the senn 414 pads unmodded? unless they're made out of different material I guess...

Indeed they are the most similar but not quite the same. The material feels slightly different and the grado pads seem to have more material. I'd say the yellow pads are slightly less "scratchy" but I prefer the sound of the Grados. I need to try the quarter mods on both sets.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,070 of 2,336
The l-cush pads are thicker and firmer than HD414 pads. The HD414 are taller than the l-cush pads but feel very similar to g-cush pads material-wise. I prefered the HD414 pads to l-cush, but l-cush was still nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back