Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Jan 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,982 of 2,336
Yeah some good headphones on Head-fi are really over hyped and over discussed. The Magnum (even thought I have yet to hear any of these headphones) seems very comparable to the well-known bests and are often times a lot cheaper.

I think very high of that guy Rhydon, even though I don't know him. I only have my mental image of him. Does Symphones have other employees? lol

Have you thought of asking him that directly?

I have thought about making a new thread, but not much about asking him directly. Wouldn't it look indecent to do so? (actually I'd be glad if he could read my post and tell me about it) ..And I don't want to bother him for the least in the world.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,983 of 2,336

I think Symphones is doing really good with the latest version ( and all te previous version for that matter) 4 drivers. There have been a growth of interest for the "Lite" upgrade or just for Rydhon drivers in the DIY community. You can read more detail on this thread

You can also see many great creation on MCA site.

But like it was propose just send Rydhon a pm and he will be happy to answer your question.

Quote:
Yeah some good headphones on Head-fi are really over hyped and over discussed. The Magnum (even thought I have yet to hear any of these headphones) seems very comparable to the well-known bests and are often times a lot cheaper.

I think very high of that guy Rhydon, even though I don't know him. I only have my mental image of him. Does Symphones have other employees? lol

I have thought about making a new thread, but not much about asking him directly. Wouldn't it look indecent to do so? (actually I'd be glad if he could read my post and tell me about it) ..And I don't want to bother him for the least in the world.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,984 of 2,336
It would be hard for you to find a detail/forward/engaging headphone that is forgiving of low-fi recording. The only headhone I know (with experience) is the 650 but they are not forward and engaging. Let us know if you find it. 
confused.gif

Quote:
I'm a bit confused, but how can it be revealing and play nice with rougher recordings?
I tried the Sennheiser 598s which are said to be more engaging that the 650s and I found them too boring. I think the key is finding something forward and smooth sounding, not something dark.
Anyway, I'm keeping my magnum order for now, I doubt I'll have a problem selling them if I don't like them, I still probably have a few month wait with Marty anyway so I have time to decide.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #1,985 of 2,336
It would be hard for you to find a detail/forward/engaging headphone that is forgiving of low-fi recording. The only headhone I know (with experience) is the 650 but they are not forward and engaging. Let us know if you find it. 
confused.gif

Thats the thing, I have found it. My K81s, but they suffer from the usual problems of low-end headphones. Echoey plastic, small soundstage, a bit slow/muddy. Despite its flaws the K81 is the only headphone that has actually gotten me 'in the room with the musicians' and had me feel like I was at a concert. It sounds very much like a Grado, being more textured, bassy, and smoother than the old SR-80i I had. I felt the K81 was a direct upgrade almost though its not as fast so some of the energy in the music is lost.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,986 of 2,336

Maybe you can do some mod's to help on the plastic cups vibration. Some Dynamat and/or Paxmate can eliminate the echo and will also help with the muddy mid/bass. Adding some padding under the earpads will increase the distance between your ears and driver and should improve the soundstage.

Quote:
Thats the thing, I have found it. My K81s, but they suffer from the usual problems of low-end headphones. Echoey plastic, small soundstage, a bit slow/muddy. Despite its flaws the K81 is the only headphone that has actually gotten me 'in the room with the musicians' and had me feel like I was at a concert. It sounds very much like a Grado, being more textured, bassy, and smoother than the old SR-80i I had. I felt the K81 was a direct upgrade almost though its not as fast so some of the energy in the music is lost.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,988 of 2,336

Quote:
Maybe you can do some mod's to help on the plastic cups vibration. Some Dynamat and/or Paxmate can eliminate the echo and will also help with the muddy mid/bass. Adding some padding under the earpads will increase the distance between your ears and driver and should improve the soundstage.

exactly what I was going to suggest. Start out with some paxmate in the cups, if you feel like modding. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,990 of 2,336

Quote:

Have you thought of asking him that directly?

The most I know is that he has a full-time job other than Symphones. I haven't asked him more because I'm not the kind of person to ask.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,991 of 2,336
Where do you guys buy the wood cups?  Is there a website to order any or these?
I saw the Alum cups on Jaben site...I like that look but prefer a wood look.
I assume the wood sound will soften the sound all the way around.
I own Alessandro MS1i...

thanks

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,992 of 2,336

Quote:
The most I know is that he has a full-time job other than Symphones. I haven't asked him more because I'm not the kind of person to ask.

Yes well I'm don't want to sound indiscreet either but I'll try to formulate a single question. But thank you for that info it's nice to know. I think it's good if he can live with a job and a side-project... I don't want Symphones to become bigger than Grado Laboratories.

Twinster thanks to you too, that's very enlightening. (this Martin guy too, omg his work)

ThelostMIDrange's research are quite revealing and the guy's a funny type too... I'll follow his threads

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,993 of 2,336

Bienvenue! Mon plaisir.
Quote:
Yes well I'm don't want to sound indiscreet either but I'll try to formulate a single question. But thank you for that info it's nice to know. I think it's good if he can live with a job and a side-project... I don't want Symphones to become bigger than Grado Laboratories.

Twinster thanks to you too, that's very enlightening. (this Martin guy too, omg his work)

ThelostMIDrange's research are quite revealing and the guy's a funny type too... I'll follow his threads

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,994 of 2,336
For someone (me) who very much enjoys the magnums, what would be another grado to try?  I obviously like the grado sound but I don't want to waste money on the same sound.  I haven't heard either but I've been thinking of picking up a hf-2 or rs-1.  I just sold my hd650's since I never listened to them.  I've sold some other phones too but I'm keeping the magnums and my lcd-2.2s.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #1,995 of 2,336
I had the HF-2 and sold them after A/B ing with the magnums. I am not sure what budget you have but I think my HE-6 is a great compliment. By the way I also have the LCD-2 (rev 1 though). The problem is that the Magnum's do everything that a grado does but better. Mind you I have not heard the RS series. You can always get another Magnum driver in all wood which would be similar to the RS series but better. 
Sorry Grado you need to improve your drivers, the bar has been raised.

Quote:
For someone (me) who very much enjoys the magnums, what would be another grado to try?  I obviously like the grado sound but I don't want to waste money on the same sound.  I haven't heard either but I've been thinking of picking up a hf-2 or rs-1.  I just sold my hd650's since I never listened to them.  I've sold some other phones too but I'm keeping the magnums and my lcd-2.2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back