Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #436 of 7,711
Dedicated OS as in the buggy and slow hm901 UI? No thanks! I'll take android 4.1 over that crap ANY day.

Yup, I'm with you on this.  Andriod on Sony Walkman is quite polished.  I use my F807 everyday without any hiccups.  My DX-50 crap out due to bad UI & stupid touchscreen too many times a day.

That's great but the processor is doing more background tasks which can impact the other things. I do suspect Sony can write great apps. The Ibasso's have been buggy with Andriod so it's more about your code writer than platform.

The DX100 is just bad, but to be honest the DX100 is more stable & usable than the current state of the DX50.  No such problem with my Sony F807 running 4.01 though.  You can always turn off other apps when not needed.  Think the fluidity of iPod Touch UI, Sony's Andriod Music app is very near that level.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #437 of 7,711
I had my wife (Japanese) translate some points to me....both reviews are using se846 to sample.....first review thinks it's about the same level as hm901/ak120, but the AK100 MKII (Japan limited release with reduced impedance output) with the DB12 is better.  Conclusion....buying the Sony player and selling his AK100 MKII....and thinking about Sony's new DAC/Amp PHA-2.  Second review analyzed the high, mids, low, and vocal aspects listening with SE846....overall results he thinks it's much better than the AK100, and slightly better than the AK120 in different areas like stage and lows.

If these reports are true and consistent, this is going to be a hot seller.
I am having doubts about reviews that put the 901 and ak120 in the same basket...but if it is better than then ak120 than that alone warrants a purchase.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #438 of 7,711

That's great but the processor is doing more background tasks which can impact the other things. I do suspect Sony can write great apps. The Ibasso's have been buggy with Andriod so it's more about your code writer than platform.

If you haven't used either the old Z or any of the F8xx series, then you shouldn't speculate. As someone who came from the 'dedicated SOny OS' in the previous Walkmans, I can tell you that for playing music there is no lag. Sony has had this all working for 3 (or more ... think the Z came out in 2010) years now. Sony has tweaked the Android implementation (which stems from their Xperia line ostensibly) for the audio player.

Look at the threads on the Z and F - I haven't seen any complaining about lag. I own both. No issues.

So please, think before you comment here.

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #440 of 7,711
first review thinks it's about the same level as hm901/ak120, but the AK100 MKII (Japan limited release with reduced impedance output) with the DB12 is better. 

Ak100 D12 is on par with 901.......? I think best to wait for some serious impressions..

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #441 of 7,711

If you haven't used either the old Z or any of the F8xx series, then you shouldn't speculate. As someone who came from the 'dedicated SOny OS' in the previous Walkmans, I can tell you that for playing music there is no lag. Sony has had this all working for 3 (or more ... think the Z came out in 2010) years now. Sony has tweaked the Android implementation (which stems from their Xperia line ostensibly) for the audio player.

Look at the threads on the Z and F - I haven't seen any complaining about lag. I own both. No issues.

So please, think before you comment here.

Did I say anything about lagging? I also said Sony can probably write good usable code. The background stuff I mentioned was to things like processor noise and power supply effects. They may not be significant enough to matter but they will exist. A smaller required instruction set needs a less hungry processor and has less load. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #442 of 7,711
Maybe he is just used to the "excellent" HiSound Studio V's UI!?!?

:wink:

LOL. If I ever said that, I'd leave. My post had nothing to do with ui coordination which I'm sure that Sony excels at. When I said that I suspected Sony can write a great app, why would anyone think I would be saying something negative about OS use?

Any more digs?
popcorn.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #443 of 7,711

Did I say anything about lagging? I also said Sony can probably write good usable code. The background stuff I mentioned was to things like processor noise and power supply effects. They may not be significant enough to matter but they will exist. A smaller required instruction set needs a less hungry processor and has less load. 

You another one of those people who firmly believe in a device designed and dedicated to do one thing and ONLY one thing to be the absolute best at what it does?

Damn right Sony are great coders (now anyways, especially after being in bed with google themselves, in the past however.... well they've been less than smooth)

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #444 of 7,711

LOL. If I ever said that, I'd leave. My post had nothing to do with ui coordination which I'm sure that Sony excels at. When I said that I suspected Sony can write a great app, why would anyone think I would be saying something negative about OS use?

Any more digs?
popcorn.gif

LOL!
But what's your issue with Android? You said: "That's great but the processor is doing more background tasks which can impact the other things." 
Is that your concern?
My Studio V with it's "dedicated" OS and UI implementation sometimes froze just switching songs using Shuffle mode!!!!
It doesn't matter if you have a dedicated OS or Android or if the CPU is doing any other type of processing, what matters is having the programming chops to actually be able to take care of music playing and reproduction and be CAPABLE of performing any other task if necessary without thinking that some other process might "steal" processing cycles. That's how good programming works and I don't believe this player will have any problems... ...

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #445 of 7,711
Ak100 D12 is on par with 901.......? I think best to wait for some serious impressions..

Maybe it wasn't as far fetched if the 901 this person used to compare is with the stock amp card. To me the stock amp board is definitely in the same bracket with the AK120.

For someone who ordered blind and deaf, these reviews are really reassuring! Hope they are not setting me up for a huge disappointment!

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #446 of 7,711
Maybe it wasn't as far fetched if the 901 this person used to compare is with the stock amp card. To me the stock amp board is definitely in the same bracket with the AK120.

For someone who ordered blind and deaf, these reviews are really reassuring! Hope they are not setting me up for a huge disappointment!

best to wait for AnakChan...
tongue.gif
he has the right gear to set this in a better context and some indication of ZX1's position in the TOTL tier...

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #447 of 7,711
  best to wait for AnakChan...
tongue.gif
he has the right gear to set this in a better context and some indication of ZX1's position in the TOTL tier...

Damn!! And I thought I could get out of it when someone else had reviewed (in Japanese) and translated (in English) :p.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #448 of 7,711

Damn!! And I thought I could get out of it when someone else had reviewed (in Japanese) and translated (in English) :p.

Those are not really reviews but just "hey I've tried the new toy and it sounds awesome like real awesome" type comment..

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #449 of 7,711
  A quick summary.

Well built, expensive from just seeing the actual demo unit.
Not much about the SQ as the surrounding wasnt very quiet. Best if you can try for yourself.

His personal thoughts when playing HiRes music.
Gave him goosebumps. The vocal and the instruments seem to mesh very well.
Recommended for those that love listening to music.

Well, that pretty much rules out everybody on this forum as we are only interested in the gear!!
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back