Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 3, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #422 of 7,711
A quick summary.

Well built, expensive from just seeing the actual demo unit.
Not much about the SQ as the surrounding wasnt very quiet. Best if you can try for yourself.

His personal thoughts when playing HiRes music.
Gave him goosebumps. The vocal and the instruments seem to mesh very well.
Recommended for those that love listening to music.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #423 of 7,711
A quick summary.

Well built, expensive from just seeing the actual demo unit.
Not much about the SQ as the surrounding wasnt very quiet. Best if you can try for yourself.

His personal thoughts when playing HiRes music.
Gave him goosebumps. The vocal and the instruments seem to mesh very well.
Recommended for those that love listening to music.
Thanks for the effort. Seems like a crappy review though :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #424 of 7,711
Thanks for the effort. Seems like a crappy review though
smily_headphones1.gif

Be patient - we won't have long to wait until the reviews come flooding in!
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #426 of 7,711
Oh I think you overestimate my patience...I will have bought and maybe sold it before the first serious review hits the floor
smily_headphones1.gif

DO IT!!! :p

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #428 of 7,711
Oct 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #429 of 7,711
I had my wife (Japanese) translate some points to me....both reviews are using se846 to sample.....first review thinks it's about the same level as hm901/ak120, but the AK100 MKII (Japan limited release with reduced impedance output) with the DB12 is better.  Conclusion....buying the Sony player and selling his AK100 MKII....and thinking about Sony's new DAC/Amp PHA-2.  Second review analyzed the high, mids, low, and vocal aspects listening with SE846....overall results he thinks it's much better than the AK100, and slightly better than the AK120 in different areas like stage and lows.

If these reports are true and consistent, this is going to be a hot seller.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #430 of 7,711
  I had my wife (Japanese) translate some points to me....both reviews are using se846 to sample.....first review thinks it's about the same level as hm901/ak120, but the AK100 MKII (Japan limited release with reduced impedance output) with the DB12 is better.  Conclusion....buying the Sony player and selling his AK100 MKII....and thinking about Sony's new DAC/Amp PHA-2.  Second review analyzed the high, mids, low, and vocal aspects listening with SE846....overall results he thinks it's much better than the AK100, and slightly better than the AK120 in different areas like stage and lows.

Thanks.  Great news...especially those two reviews are in agreement with one another.  It isn't a surprised to me really given that Sony has been refining their S-Master Module since 2004.  Digital amp done right will always sound really good.  Can't wait for this thing to land.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #432 of 7,711

The Shure has an extremely low device impedance and may not be the that representative of most things that fall into the 16 to 60 ohm range. That said, nice to know it sounds good. Personally, I prefer non class D amps but proof will be in an audition. Class D often sound a bit dry to me. You can hear plenty on a good one but it lacks a certain naturalness. Doesn't mean they don't have this one singing.

We have folks that prefer one top DAP over another so nothing new here. We just need to wait for some more reviews.
bigsmile_face.gif
 Still bugs me a little that it doesn't take memory cards and is Andriod instead of a dedicated OS.
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #433 of 7,711
The Shure has an extremely low device impedance and may not be the that representative of most things that fall into the 16 to 60 ohm range. That said, nice to know it sounds good. Personally, I prefer non class D amps but proof will be in an audition. Class D often sound a bit dry to me. You can hear plenty on a good one but it lacks a certain naturalness. Doesn't mean they don't have this one singing.

We have folks that prefer one top DAP over another so nothing new here. We just need to wait for some more reviews.:bigsmile_face:  Still bugs me a little that it doesn't take memory cards and is Andriod instead of a dedicated OS.:frowning2:  

Dedicated OS as in the buggy and slow hm901 UI? No thanks! I'll take android 4.1 over that crap ANY day.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #435 of 7,711
Dedicated OS as in the buggy and slow hm901 UI? No thanks! I'll take android 4.1 over that crap ANY day.

That's great but the processor is doing more background tasks which can impact the other things. I do suspect Sony can write great apps. The Ibasso's have been buggy with Andriod so it's more about your code writer than platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back