SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #7,997 of 15,361
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #7,998 of 15,361
Wow, they dropped the official MRSP by $300. Nicely done, Sony!

1593323492891.png

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #7,999 of 15,361
Jun 28, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #8,000 of 15,361
Unfortunately I have no idea where sampling of anything like earphones would be available in Los Angeles. Not to be offtopic but can you guys recommended an alternative earphone for the WM1A that wouldn't necessarily have fit issues?

The new 64 Audio Nio is getting some positive feedback and might be somewhat similar to the Z1R. @mashuto did a comprehensive comparison with the Z1R over on the 64 Audio thread. Worth checking out and auditioning one if possible near you in LA :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #8,001 of 15,361
Is fit for the IER-Z1R really selective to large ears exclusively? I'm just trying to find the best I can get for that price that would compliment the WM1A and Z1R sound perfect (aside from fit).:slight_frown:
No, I wouldn't say that they're for large ears only. I have no reason to believe that I have large ears, and I've never had any fit issues.
What's great about them is that they come with a huge variety of tips, so you should at least be able to find the right tip size right away. So far I've used MS foam tips and S silicone tips without a problem. Perhaps you can take a look at the size specifications of the shells and try to gauge if they would fit in your ears, but I guess that would involve measuring your ears as well, lol. It might be worth the hassle though, because they sound really, really good.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #8,002 of 15,361
Did anyone try to polish the shell and possibly remove scratches using something like a metal polisher?

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #8,003 of 15,361
The new 64 Audio Nio is getting some positive feedback and might be somewhat similar to the Z1R. @mashuto did a comprehensive comparison with the Z1R over on the 64 Audio thread. Worth checking out and auditioning one if possible near you in LA :)
They're the same price now too :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #8,004 of 15,361
I think they are still different enough that preferences will likely dictate which one is better for anyone individually. There's a lot of talk about the bass of the z1r, but at least with the detail m15 module of the nio, it's pretty significantly bassier. But I do think at least technically they are playing at the same level overall. And yes, fit on the nio is miles better for me than the z1r.

I know it's always suggested to demo things and I would just absolutely repeat that everyone should if possible. Avoid my "mistakes" of having now 6 high end iems that while all good for various reasons, don't all fit great or match my exact preferences.

I know you probably can't contact Sony for a demo directly, but a lot of these more boutique manufacturers will send demos when requested, though not sure about international demos and especially not sure how things stand with demos and covid.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #8,005 of 15,361
Unfortunately I have no idea where sampling of anything like earphones would be available in Los Angeles. Not to be offtopic but can you guys recommended an alternative earphone for the WM1A that wouldn't necessarily have fit issues?
Contact Sony support and you should he good. I’m sure they can direct you to a location to go sample them. My hometown is Los Angeles. So there HAS to be a place you can demo them

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #8,006 of 15,361
I'm sure this has been asked several times, so pardon my laziness to search this thread, but is the ier-z1r adequately powered by the WM1A? I'm sure they don't sound as good compared to out of a headphone amp, but do they sound good enough?

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #8,007 of 15,361
I'm sure this has been asked several times, so pardon my laziness to search this thread, but is the ier-z1r adequately powered by the WM1A? I'm sure they don't sound as good compared to out of a headphone amp, but do they sound good enough?
More than enough. You’ll be real surprised how good they sound. I keep my volume around 45 out of the 120 in balanced mode and they sound awesome. Enjoy!

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #8,008 of 15,361

I find that my 1Z is more than good enough to run the IER, but apparantly if you go on Chineese boards the consensus seems to be that nothing but a big desktop amp is good enough

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #8,010 of 15,361
Is fit for the IER-Z1R really selective to large ears exclusively? I'm just trying to find the best I can get for that price that would compliment the WM1A and Z1R sound perfect (aside from fit).:slight_frown:
I have small ears and struggled the first week with fit but after some three weeks or so I can now comfortably insert them deeper and comfort is quite good. They just never "fully disappear" - Most of the time I know they are there. Mind you, there are very very few IEMs that i would forget they are in my ears for hours (like the meze rai penta).

I know testing is important but also a trap. The IER Z1R might be hard to swallow at first but you can get used to them and actually find them quite decent comfort-wise in a few weeks. So a couple of hours or minutes in a shop might make you just give up quickly. Also I find that it's hard to truly gauge gear sound-wise in a short time. I only now, after about a month with the Z1R am starting to fully discover them and they keep surprising me.

Ideally all manufacturers / dealers should allow home testing for at least two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back