SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #7,966 of 15,437
Back when I first purchased the IER-Z1R, the 1A was at firmware 3.01, the combination was the greatest. My personal opinion was the 1A and IER combo won out even over the more expensive IER-Z1R and Walkman 1Z combo. Since then firmware 3.02 has arrived as well as a plethora of firmwares to really get any sound you want from the 1A.

Truly a great combo! Cheers!
Seconded. Incredible combo!

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #7,967 of 15,437
Hey everyone, I recently made the decision to get the WM1A in an effort to get an endgame DAP that I can be happy with for years to come without any issues. And while I am very happy with the decision, I feel that my current selection of earphones/headphones are limiting my enjoyment of the this DAP simply because of the inability of either headphone to run in 4.4 balanced mode. I am now considering to get an endgame IEM that would last me just as well and allow me to utilize the WM1A to it's full potential. I am definitely considering the IEM-Z1R as this endgame IEM but I was just wondering if owners of the WM1A and Z1R can provide me their opinions on the synergy of the 1A and Z1R.
There is no such thing as a headphone/IEM that is unable to run in 4.4 balanced mode. It's just a matter of getting a balanced cable for it (unless of course, the headphone doesn't have a detachable cable). What headphones do you currently own?

Oh, and the Z1R sounds good from everything, don't worry about "synergy". If you try it out and the comfort is OK (the synergy you need to worry about is the one between the shape of the housing and your ear) and you like the sound, you will be happy with it, no matter the source.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #7,968 of 15,437
Hey everyone, I recently made the decision to get the WM1A in an effort to get an endgame DAP that I can be happy with for years to come without any issues. And while I am very happy with the decision, I feel that my current selection of earphones/headphones are limiting my enjoyment of the this DAP simply because of the inability of either headphone to run in 4.4 balanced mode. I am now considering to get an endgame IEM that would last me just as well and allow me to utilize the WM1A to it's full potential. I am definitely considering the IEM-Z1R as this endgame IEM but I was just wondering if owners of the WM1A and Z1R can provide me their opinions on the synergy of the 1A and Z1R.
I really like the combination, and if you want the IER-Z1R, by all means jump for it, but don't expect the 4.4 mm to make a vast difference.

Jun 26, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #7,969 of 15,437
Hey everyone, I recently made the decision to get the WM1A in an effort to get an endgame DAP that I can be happy with for years to come without any issues [...] I was just wondering if owners of the WM1A and Z1R can provide me their opinions on the synergy of the 1A and Z1R.

My WM1A is very happy with the IER Z1R.

I prefer them on the balanced output and find it better sounding. Objectively there's more amplification headroom. I mentioned this in a previous post, but I think they sound better on high gain and low volume as opposed to low gain and high volume.

With other players, like the ZX-507 the balanced output is vastly better.

Oh, and the Z1R sounds good from everything, don't worry about "synergy". If you try it out and the comfort is OK (the synergy you need to worry about is the one between the shape of the housing and your ear) and you like the sound, you will be happy with it, no matter the source.

While they sound amazing with any source, fed by my tube WA8 there's too much of a good thing. The tube amp creates a lot more atmosphere though and a wider & deeper sound stage. All this atmosphere muffles the micro details up. Hear less, feel more.

There's more detail, clearer decay and sound on the WM1A feels less congested. I absolutely think this combination is wonderful.

I think the only real (sound) synergy consideration is using them with a tube amp. And indeed, more importantly the synergy with your ear.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #7,970 of 15,437
On the topic of tips, AZLA is making some big waves in Japan with the recent release of the XELASTEC line using TPE. Even though I didn't like their old tips, this one sounds very interesting not only due to the properties of the material (it supposedly reacts quickly to temperature change by being inside your body) but also because they now use a straight inner tube like the IER's stock tips, as opposed to the horn structure of the previous AZLA tips. It's also nice that they're offering three-size packs in half-step sizes.

This video (in Japanese) did a good job describing them IMO:

I pre-ordered them from Amazon JP, which was offering global shipping. But they seem to be sold out now for some of the options and only e-earphone has them. If Amazon gets them back in stock it should be easy to order worldwide, so keep an eye on it. Some options are still available from Amazon global though with 2-5 week ship times. anyway, I'll post impressions after receiving them.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #7,971 of 15,437
What headphones do you currently own?

I currently use the Periodic Audio Be for my portable setup, and the Philips Fidelio X2 at home, both of which have a fixed cable/unbalanced input. The Be's have a fixed unbalanced cable so I would have to outsource a service to have the earphones refitted with a balanced cable. Although the X2's feature a detachable, the cable is fitted to one side of the headphone and according to others on the Fidelio X2 General thread the X2's would have to be modded on the other ear cup to fit a split cable and and as far as I know no one offers such a service so my only option is to upgrade my headphones/earphones.

don't expect the 4.4 mm to make a vast difference.

I've heard from the WM1A General Thread that the balanced connection "opens up" the sound with more perceivable instrument separation. A user provided this image to depict the sonic differences between the two inputs, which I thought was kind of funny lol.

11252768.jpg

Another reason why I am looking toward the IER-Z1R is for the "larger than life" soundstage that is prescribed to these earphones. I really enjoy a sense of a sense of a "3D" soundscape and the Z1R have been described having providing such of an experience. Although I am concerned with two main things with the Z1R. The Treble and the physical fit. I would say that my sonic preference is more toward a warmer "vinyl" like experience but I've read that the Z1R has a very revealing and sometimes dominant treble that might be a bit too much for some. My only concern of this is because I think I might be a bit sensitive to treble but perhaps the firmware mods for the WM1A can help modify the sound to my liking if the treble becomes overwhelming.

The fit is obviously the more important factor in deciding to purchase the Z1R because even if I choose to get them, if they don't fit I would have to ship them back and so far I have only been able to find these earphones directly sold from Japan. Do these earphones really require big ears to fit comfortably? Again, these earphones sound as though they are perfect for the WM1A. and I would rather get these as an endgame and remove the search for the best earphones if possible. Also, I appreciate all the replies! I apologize if my posts are long winded!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #7,972 of 15,437
I've heard from the WM1A General Thread that the balanced connection "opens up" the sound with more perceivable instrument separation. A user provided this image to depict the sonic differences between the two inputs, which I thought was kind of funny lol.

11252768.jpg

Another reason why I am looking toward the IER-Z1R is for the "larger than life" soundstage that is prescribed to these earphones. I really enjoy a sense of a sense of a "3D" soundscape and the Z1R have been described having providing such of an experience. Although I am concerned with two main things with the Z1R. The Treble and the physical fit.

Haha funny picture. I think a balanced connection could have such a benefit if the amp actually provides more power to it compared to single ended. It could have been in a different thread, but I mentioned earlier how it would make sense for more power to allow drivers to operate more efficiently and not just in relation to volume level, but there was an argument about whether that's the case or not. Either way, if your amp supports balanced output I see no reason not to use it.

Regarding your soundstage and treble questions, the IER definitely has the most impressive soundstage I've heard on an IEM. Of course, it cannot compete with, say, the soundstage that a big ass 70mm driver provides on its big brother MDR. What it does provide over the MDR (perhaps more than desirable) is treble. It is very good thanks to the super tweeter, but at times too good to the point that it can monopolize your attention away from other elements in the music, though not to the point of making them disappear. Everything is present and you can locate it with effort, as opposed to the effortless experience of the MDR. I was thinking that an ideal IEM would be the IER that gets closer to the MDR's frequency response, and the ideal headphone would be an MDR with a treble response closer (though not all the way) to the IER's. Sony is really inching closer to perfection, very close to the ideal sweet spot with these two products.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #7,973 of 15,437
I currently use the Periodic Audio Be for my portable setup, and the Philips Fidelio X2 at home, both of which have a fixed cable/unbalanced input. The Be's have a fixed unbalanced cable so I would have to outsource a service to have the earphones refitted with a balanced cable. Although the X2's feature a detachable, the cable is fitted to one side of the headphone and according to others on the Fidelio X2 General thread the X2's would have to be modded on the other ear cup to fit a split cable and and as far as I know no one offers such a service so my only option is to upgrade my headphones/earphones.

Another reason why I am looking toward the IER-Z1R is for the "larger than life" soundstage that is prescribed to these earphones. I really enjoy a sense of a sense of a "3D" soundscape and the Z1R have been described having providing such of an experience. Although I am concerned with two main things with the Z1R. The Treble and the physical fit. I would say that my sonic preference is more toward a warmer "vinyl" like experience but I've read that the Z1R has a very revealing and sometimes dominant treble that might be a bit too much for some. My only concern of this is because I think I might be a bit sensitive to treble but perhaps the firmware mods for the WM1A can help modify the sound to my liking if the treble becomes overwhelming.

The fit is obviously the more important factor in deciding to purchase the Z1R because even if I choose to get them, if they don't fit I would have to ship them back and so far I have only been able to find these earphones directly sold from Japan. Do these earphones really require big ears to fit comfortably? Again, these earphones sound as though they are perfect for the WM1A. and I would rather get these as an endgame and remove the search for the best earphones if possible. Also, I appreciate all the replies! I apologize if my posts are long winded!
Are there any overhead cans you think that can provide the 3D effect that the IER-Z1R give? Closest I can think of is the Focal Stellia.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #7,976 of 15,437
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #7,978 of 15,437
Sony MDR-Z1R

Probably just a coincidence :wink:
Honestly, to me the MDR sound nothing like the IER. Maybe it's the amp, maybe it's the music, but while I love my IER Z1R, I auditioned the MDR for hours and ended up with the HD800S a couple of years ago. Yes, the these also sound nothing alike but I'm a guy who enjoys the IER Z1R and the HD800S and not the MDR... I think there's too much bass in the MDR and its's nowhere nearly as clear and detailed as the IER.

It's not that I didn't like them, they just weren't spectacular & surprising. the IER are spectacular and surprising.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #7,979 of 15,437
Honestly, to me the MDR sound nothing like the IER. Maybe it's the amp, maybe it's the music, but while I love my IER Z1R, I auditioned the MDR for hours and ended up with the HD800S a couple of years ago. Yes, the these also sound nothing alike but I'm a guy who enjoys the IER Z1R and the HD800S and not the MDR... I think there's too much bass in the MDR and its's nowhere nearly as clear and detailed as the IER.

It's not that I didn't like them, they just weren't spectacular & surprising. the IER are spectacular and surprising.

That makes sense, especially if you're very used to the experience that only an IEM and/or open headphone can provide. I've been using both Z1Rs intensively and daily for the past 2 weeks and the more I do so the more similar they seem, though with key differences that complement each other. I think the perfect HP would be more or less a fusion of the two. And to my ear (and paired with a TA amp) the MDR has both less bass and more controlled bass than the IER.

Anyway, in terms of the "3D effect" that Gamerlingual asked about in particular, I do think that the MDR meets that requirement by being even better than the IER in that regard--but that may be obvious being a 70mm driver vs an IEM (albeit a sophisticated hybrid one). It's also closed, while sounding like the most "open-like" closed headphone in the market.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #7,980 of 15,437
Off topic, yet on topic about learning to understand a new sound signature.

Producer Michael De Lazzer joins Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back