SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 27, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #7,982 of 15,437
Off topic, yet on topic about learning to understand a new sound signature.

Producer Michael De Lazzer joins Head-Fi.

His point about the recessed midrange is spot on. I’ve always found any headphone with a recessed midrange to have better soundstage and imaging, and are never as closed in. It’s why I really like the Z1R.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #7,983 of 15,437
So far, the XELASTEC are slip free. Comfort is better and are settling in nicely

image.jpg

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #7,984 of 15,437
So far, the XELASTEC are slip free. Comfort is better and are settling in nicely

image.jpg
Can you post a picture, mounted on the Z1R, equivalent size tips, side by side?

How easy is it to remove them from your ears if they are slip-free?

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #7,985 of 15,437
I currently use the Periodic Audio Be for my portable setup, and the Philips Fidelio X2 at home, both of which have a fixed cable/unbalanced input. The Be's have a fixed unbalanced cable so I would have to outsource a service to have the earphones refitted with a balanced cable. Although the X2's feature a detachable, the cable is fitted to one side of the headphone and according to others on the Fidelio X2 General thread the X2's would have to be modded on the other ear cup to fit a split cable and and as far as I know no one offers such a service so my only option is to upgrade my headphones/earphones.

I've heard from the WM1A General Thread that the balanced connection "opens up" the sound with more perceivable instrument separation. A user provided this image to depict the sonic differences between the two inputs, which I thought was kind of funny lol.

11252768.jpg

Another reason why I am looking toward the IER-Z1R is for the "larger than life" soundstage that is prescribed to these earphones. I really enjoy a sense of a sense of a "3D" soundscape and the Z1R have been described having providing such of an experience. Although I am concerned with two main things with the Z1R. The Treble and the physical fit. I would say that my sonic preference is more toward a warmer "vinyl" like experience but I've read that the Z1R has a very revealing and sometimes dominant treble that might be a bit too much for some. My only concern of this is because I think I might be a bit sensitive to treble but perhaps the firmware mods for the WM1A can help modify the sound to my liking if the treble becomes overwhelming.

The fit is obviously the more important factor in deciding to purchase the Z1R because even if I choose to get them, if they don't fit I would have to ship them back and so far I have only been able to find these earphones directly sold from Japan. Do these earphones really require big ears to fit comfortably? Again, these earphones sound as though they are perfect for the WM1A. and I would rather get these as an endgame and remove the search for the best earphones if possible. Also, I appreciate all the replies! I apologize if my posts are long winded!
Fit is obviously a very important factor and to get the best out of the IER-Z1R, as with any IEM, they do need a good insert. Fit is subjective I guess, but due to size of housing on these, I would think small to average size ears may have issues. I wouldn't recommend a blind buy. I recently did, I don't have small ears, but thankfully I feel like I can just get away with them.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #7,987 of 15,437
How do they sound compared to Sony stock tips?
You can hear the detail of all the instruments a lot more but without any metallic feel. You can almost say like the instruments appear in front of you. They provide a much stabler fit in my ears as I was able to walk around Akihabara and go home on the train for 90 minutes when I got home, even to the point where I jogged a few steps to reach the train on time. Just makes them sound all the more perfect.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #7,989 of 15,437
You can hear the detail of all the instruments a lot more but without any metallic feel. You can almost say like the instruments appear in front of you. They provide a much stabler fit in my ears as I was able to walk around Akihabara and go home on the train for 90 minutes when I got home, even to the point where I jogged a few steps to reach the train on time. Just makes them sound all the more perfect.
Awesome. Many thanks for impressions, I will order them when I have the chance

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #7,990 of 15,437
How do they sound compared to Sony stock tips?

Awesome. Many thanks for impressions, I will order them when I have the chance
Strongly recommended and nothing for me to be cynical about. Considering the price you see is WITH tax, I think it's more than a marginal improvement. Definitely gives the IER-Z1R more variety with the tips. Just make sure you get the size that you get is the size that fits you from one of the stock tips.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #7,991 of 15,437
Fit is subjective I guess, but due to size of housing on these, I would think small to average size ears may have issues. I wouldn't recommend a blind buy. I recently did, I don't have small ears, but thankfully I feel like I can just get away with them.

Is fit for the IER-Z1R really selective to large ears exclusively? I'm just trying to find the best I can get for that price that would compliment the WM1A and Z1R sound perfect (aside from fit).:slight_frown:

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #7,992 of 15,437
Is fit for the IER-Z1R really selective to large ears exclusively? I'm just trying to find the best I can get for that price that would compliment the WM1A and Z1R sound perfect (aside from fit).:slight_frown:
If you can sample them, I would do so. But it has a lot of fits to try and for me, the small SS were the best hit. But I think there's a good fit for most people. Good chance you should be fine if I were to take a gamble.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #7,993 of 15,437
If you can sample them, I would do so. But it has a lot of fits to try and for me, the small SS were the best hit. But I think there's a good fit for most people. Good chance you should be fine if I were to take a gamble.
Yes, definitely best if you can get to try before you buy, but there are lots of tips to try. Also custom tips an option although I would guess that they would stick out slightly and as they are heavy, may cantilever a bit. Provided you do get a fit, sound as many will say is top tier and I've read that it compliments any source.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #7,994 of 15,437
Unfortunately I have no idea where sampling of anything like earphones would be available in Los Angeles. Not to be offtopic but can you guys recommended an alternative earphone for the WM1A that wouldn't necessarily have fit issues?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #7,995 of 15,437
Unfortunately I have no idea where sampling of anything like earphones would be available in Los Angeles. Not to be offtopic but can you guys recommended an alternative for the WM1A that wouldn't necessarily have fit issues?
Wait, you were trying to put a couple of WM1A in your ears?! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back